GuyM
Posted: Tuesday, July 09, 2019 4:27:13 AM
Groups: Member

Regards.
Guy
modelmaniac
Posted: Tuesday, July 09, 2019 10:29:43 AM

Personally,my favourite truck chassis is the 'eight wheeler'.I am hopelessly addicted.I have loads of them,mostly the same trucks,just different colours.As I see so many on the roads,all have been changed to U.K. specs,rear mudguards on tipper body,easysheets,beacons,and hazard striping,on the tailgate.Visible from behind.I have done the same conversion for one of my MAN tippers,basically just swapped a six wheel truck,to an eight wheel.Much better.Really like seeing other peoples similar versions.Looks good.Well done Jean-Jacques.
Exkvate3140
Posted: Wednesday, July 10, 2019 12:56:50 AM

Guy great diorama, it’s nice to see all that diecast hard at work. Do you think You could get the phone number of that hottie in the white jeans and black shirt, if so we could give it to The Q and maybe he could call her and give the older women at the senior center a break.
Steve
GuyM
Posted: Wednesday, July 10, 2019 4:04:33 AM

Exkvate3140 wrote:
[...] Do you think You could get the phone number of that hottie in the white jeans and black shirt, if so we could give it to The Q and maybe he could call her [...]

Steve,

Don't forget that the "hottie" is in Monaco: I suppose that it will be a little bit too expensive to fly her to North Carolina and back, just to give senior center ladies a break, as you said.

Guy
Exkvate3140
Posted: Wednesday, July 10, 2019 9:53:26 AM

Guy I’m sure Q has a little shack over in Monaco and flying over is just a matter of him walking into his back yard with an extension ladder and getting about 20’ up that tree because that is where the 100 dollar bills grow best. That’s why he hasn’t been posting a lot because it peak harvesting time for the big bills in NC.
Steve
GuyM
Posted: Thursday, July 11, 2019 3:22:50 AM

Bell helicopter, part of the Los Angeles Fire Department fleet:

Intervention and evacuation helicopter Bell Helicopter 204B (modified Corgi model)

Regards.
Guy
GuyM
Posted: Thursday, July 11, 2019 3:36:50 AM

In aeronautics still with 3 Corgi 1/48 models of helicopters used by the US Army during the Vietnam War:

From left to right:
- the "oldest": observation and medical evacuation helicopter Bell Helicopter OH-13C Sioux,
- the most emblematic of the conflict: utility helicopter Bell Helicopter UH-1B Iroquois "Slick" only fitted with two 7.62mm machine-guns,
- the most recent: attack helicopter Bell Helicopter AH-1G Cobra, equipped with a 20mm canon, a 7.62mm machine-gun and 2x7 + 2x19 rockets.

To be continued.
Guy
GuyM
Posted: Thursday, July 11, 2019 3:47:46 AM

The Bell OH-13C Sioux, developed soon after WW2, widely used during the Korean conflict, then deployed in Vietnam:

The Bell AH-1G Cobra developed for the Vietnam conflict with its narrow fuselage, aimed at making shots from the ground more difficult to reach it:

To be continued.
Guy

GuyM
Posted: Thursday, July 11, 2019 3:56:00 AM

The Bell UH-1B Iroquois, which is known in civilian use as a Bell 204 (with its "fellow" Bell 205 with a slightly longer cab), is probably the symbolic helicopter of the Vietnam conflict. Here a "Slick" version, only equipped with a machine-gun at each sliding door:

Regards.
Guy
modelmaniac
Posted: Thursday, July 11, 2019 8:59:56 AM

The Bell UH-1B/204.Where the word 'chopper' came from.The sound of that machine is awesome.
Mr. Scholz
Posted: Thursday, July 11, 2019 9:19:54 AM

The Huey used to be the rescue helicopter of my childhood. Saw it very often in Hamburg, at our elementary school. Was a UH-1B painted in olive-drab with bright orange doors marked with SAR -Search And Rescue. Landed quite often on our soccer field which was a big "Hey!" and "Whoa!" of course.

Guy, this LA fire department version , I think I saw this very chopper in an episode of Emergency! - it supported a LA Fire Department CAT D8H working on a hillside. That's why I can remember this episode so well. I think Arpra made a very similar red-painted fire fighter D8K, equipped with an angle blade like the tractor in the TV show. That would be a very nice couple of scale models to display.

Best wishes
Max

GuyM
Posted: Thursday, July 11, 2019 11:53:55 AM

Mr. Scholz wrote:
[...] this LA fire department version , I think I saw this very chopper in an episode of Emergency! - it supported a LA Fire Department CAT D8H working on a hillside. [...] I think Arpra made a very similar red-painted fire fighter D8K, equipped with an angle blade like the tractor in the TV show. [...]

Max,

I found a picture of the Arpra Caterpillar D8K model you mentioned on "Frusso" topic in this forum: http://forums.dhsdiecast.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=1238863

Having had a look on my usual sales sites, it is apparently difficult to find for a reasonable price these days.

Regards.
Guy

GuyM
Posted: Thursday, July 11, 2019 6:54:18 PM

Mr. Scholz wrote:
[...] this LA fire department version , I think I saw this very chopper in an episode of Emergency! - it supported a LA Fire Department CAT D8H working on a hillside. [...] I think Arpra made a very similar red-painted fire fighter D8K, equipped with an angle blade like the tractor in the TV show. [...]

Max,

Here is one of the very few pictures of the LAFD Huey No3 helicopter I could find on the web:

As it was shown being fitted with a belly water tank, I added this one to the Corgi model.

Regards.
Guy
Mr. Scholz
Posted: Thursday, July 11, 2019 6:57:16 PM

Hello Guy,

jupp, that's the one I had in mind. But you're right - the standard Arpra D8K is already over 300 USD, so the special fire fighter version will be even more expensive.
On the other side, with 37 years old, I've learned you always can count on wonders. And a LA based chopper and fire fighting dozer team is just top notch to display.
Chopper and dozer for firefighting fits together like bread and butter: The dozer is the muscle on the ground while the chopper provides surveilance and directional commands - and of course, emergency rescue by dropping water when the dozer got trapped.

Here is the Huey used in the episode "Snakebite" for comparison

While the paint scheme is different, but we have a color match, it was the belly-mounted drop tank of your model that triggered the memory.

And here is the true star of this episode, the CAT D8H

Guy, thank you very much for all the posting of great models aswell as the exchange of ideas - this thread is fun!

Best wishes
Max

Exkvate3140
Posted: Thursday, July 11, 2019 11:32:48 PM

Guy agree 100% with Max about your posts and the information you give with every model. The helicopters are very nice.
Thanks
Steve
Quinella
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2019 12:31:32 AM

Yes, I agree. Your posts have been splendid over the last year. You fellows have way too many toys!!!!!! CAW
GuyM
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2019 2:57:47 AM

Gents,

Many thanks for your regular comments and your interest to this topic.

Max,

Nice pictures overall, many thanks.
You have probably noted that "your" helicopter was a Bell 205: it had a slightly longer cab and 3 side windows on each side, while the 204 (modelled by Corgi) with its shorter cab only had one window. Apparently LAFD had more 205s than 204s, that could be a reason why it is more difficult to find pictures of these ones.

Regards.
Guy
Mr. Scholz
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2019 2:52:25 PM

Hello Guy,

No, I wasn't aware of this difference. Thanks for pointing this out.

By the way, I'm aware of the French firefighting trucks used to battle forest fires. Are there bulldozers used, too? In Germany, in case of severe fires, military recovery tanks are used. There are a few recovery tanks converted into dedicated firefighting tanks, too.

Best regards,
Max
GuyM
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2019 4:46:51 PM

Max,

I live in the Var area (South-East of France) where forest fires are a real danger every summer.
First, every house owner is responsible to clean woods 50m around his own house, whether you own the land or not. That means that you are entitled to cut trees in your neighbor's forest, if he does not want to do it.
Then the fire protection is based on numerous 4x4 firetrucks located in each village and supported by heavy air fire-fighting means, involved as soon as a fire is detected. We use Canadairs here, able to fill their tanks in any lake or in the neighboring sea and some helicopters, allowed to drain down your swimming pool if required. But bulldozers or battle tanks are not part of the fire brigade means and strategy.

I hope this helps.
Guy
GuyM
Posted: Saturday, July 13, 2019 3:17:31 AM

Still fighting fires, but back in Europe with 2 generations of British ladders carriers, other Corgi products in a 1/50 scale:

- On the left, "Pump Escape" in the 50s: Dennis F15 4x2/2 fire pump truck, carrying an Ajax 50ft evacuation mobile ladder,
- On the right, "Turntable Ladder" in the 70s: AEC Mercury 4x2/2 truck, fitted with a Merryweather 100ft multiple extension turntable ladder and a Coventry Climax autonomous fire-pump.

To be continued.
Guy