DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Komatsu Backhoes-good or bad? Options · View
JustinE
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2008 9:18:44 PM

Groups: Member

As some of you guys know, I'll probably always run Case backhoes. However, I'm curious, I very rarely see any of those Komatsu backhoes. All I ever see is either Caterpillar or Case, but rarely do I see a Komatsu hoe.
Any of you guys ever run them- what do you think? Are they any good?

-Justin

"Everyone's Goal Is To Mine More Coal!"
PAmining
http://www.youtube.com/user/PAmining
rohde
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2008 10:00:26 PM

I have worked for a komatsu dealer here in FL. for about 15 years
i have worked on a lot of WB140 & WB150's i think that they are very cheap
for the price of them.they are a throw away machine get maybe 2000 hr's
on them then junk them out. pins and bushing are a problem on the boom
and the backhoe part of the machine. but that is just my opinion.

thanks Rick.
brian falcone
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2008 10:12:50 PM

i regularly see used one selling in the 20s some with less than 2000 hours...no resale value in them i guess. never ran one though..
JustinE
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2008 10:14:24 PM

Intresting. Sounds like their a real trough away machine!

-Justin

PAmining
JoeE
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2008 10:26:02 PM

They're OK, not as bad as those junk Terex ones.d'oh!

We rally round the family, with a pocket full of shells.....
JustinE
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2008 10:34:35 PM

Terex hoes are no good?

-Justin

PAmining
JoeE
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2008 10:38:54 PM

A company I worked for had two that were both fairly new. I could not count how many things were broken on them because of being cheaply made. A hilite was both had broked pipes where they came off the exhaust turbo. Ha

We rally round the family, with a pocket full of shells.....
JustinE
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2008 10:41:12 PM

I would have never guessed that. I thought Terex construction equipment was top notch. Personally, I think their excavators are very good!

-Justin

PAmining
turbo21835
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2008 11:41:03 PM

Ive never personally run a Komatsu backhoe. Ive heard they are put togther pretty cheaply. I have personally run a Terex 760 backhoe. Uncle has one on his farm. While its not a bad machine, it is put togther pretty cheaply. The Terex backhoes are the old Fermec line. In fact, my uncles 760 has the yellow Fermec paint job underneath the white Terex paint. All that aside, it is a big jump up from the old Case 580B he had.

Charter Member, QBall Fan Club
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=42336642940&ref=ts
Ajax Man
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2008 12:16:13 AM

I ran a Komatsu WB140 backhoe at the Case proving grounds in Arizonia back in 2000 and I was not impressed with their product at all. I was working for Wolverine Tractor & Equipment at the time and we had a product training session going on. Case brought in a John Deere 310SE, Cat 420D, Terex 760, Komatsu WB140, New Holland LB70 and a JCB 214 backhoes and we had to run them against the Case 580 M and Super M backhoe (new model that they introduced at the time) and we each had to put them through an application. (with the backhoe portion) Dig a trench, lift a precast concrete manhole section, truck loading (both with backhoe and front end loader) and an obsticale coarse for the backhoes to run through to test the ride control and other ride comfort features of machine. The Komatsu was probably the worst machine that I operated, very boxy, hard to feel controls, controls not as responsive, not a very powerful digging or lifting machine, poor road handling and plastic body parts, like the JCB's. I hate plastic body parts. They also went into the construction of the equipment, meaning how they built there respective products.

The New Holland, Terex, Komatsu and JCB machines, to me, were "throw away" machines. I thought the only ones that held a candle to Case were Deere and Cat.

"THE KILPATRICK ENTERPRISE IS GOING TO JAIL, MIKE DUGGAN IS MAYOR, SYNDER IS GOVERNOR AND IS FIXING MICHIGAN"

AJAX MATERIALS CORPORATION...AJAX PAVING INDUSTRIES....BLACK OR WHITE, WE PAVE MICHIGAN

case580
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2008 12:16:15 AM

I think they are ok. We have 3 komatsu WB 140's and they arnt to bad.

JAY
rollinlowford
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2008 12:26:48 AM

want to see how much a terex sucks ask a crane operator man now those are throw away cranes and there not even cheap ! they had komatsu at a company i worked for up here for a bit and they had problems with pins and bushings also developed alot of "leaks" kind of like a harley would vibrate itself apart
Thor410G
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2008 1:22:41 AM

Ive never ran a Komatsu backhoe either, the only ones ive seen are parked at the komatsu dealer Teeth both of our Deere backhoes 310G and 410G have well over 2000 hours and are great machines!! we did break the backhoe bucket linkage on the 310 but thats from frost in colorado i guess Think
zzzz DELETED 103006
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2008 1:41:16 AM

rollinlowford wrote:
want to see how much a terex sucks ask a crane operator man now those are throw away cranes and there not even cheap ! they had komatsu at a company i worked for up here for a bit and they had problems with pins and bushings also developed alot of "leaks" kind of like a harley would vibrate itself apart

hey, easy. harleys don't leak, they mark their territory.Whistle
MJW
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2008 1:04:42 PM

Interestingly, both Caterpillar and Case have taken years to build a market share with their backhoe loaders in the UK, where JCB is still the leading brand that commands the best resale. You don't see that many Komatsu or Terex backhoe loaders here and John Deere machines aren't imported into Europe at all. The Volvo backhoe range is still fairly new, you see a few here though.
js580sl
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2008 3:10:21 PM

I ran a Komatsu for a few minutes at a used dealer. It was light as a feather and the controls I didnt like very much added they were backwards. I dont remember much else.

Bring the Qball back!
Linkbelt or Cat
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2008 4:27:48 PM

I have ran the 146. Now I can oficially say it. The hoe, is excellent. It's really beefy an dthe controls are precise. It digs smoothly. Has no problem filling the big tooth bucket even in harder ground.

The loader SUCKS!
NO breakout force! I could jag the bucket out but I couldn't curl it back! You just have to gouge into the ground! Even in loose pitrun.

Build Quality. It does appear kinda cheap, but everything works great. A strange shaped chrome bracket fell off the first day. Still can't figure out where that goes. The dealer didn't even know!

I would still buy a new case anyday!
Here's rob loading my truck.

Jimmy

Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive!
js580sl
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2008 4:44:00 PM

4n'1's arn't the best digging buckets either.

Bring the Qball back!
JustinE
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2008 6:45:55 PM

js580sl wrote:
4n'1's arn't the best digging buckets either.

Now I was thinking of replacing the bucket on my 580K with on one of those 4-in-1 buckets (jaw bucket, I call them). With your experience, would you recomend them? Are they worth the money? From what I've heard from other contractors, they bend easily.

Also, any of you guys ever run Terex excavators? What's your opion on them- good or bad?

-Justin

PAmining
js580sl
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2008 10:27:50 PM

Justin,

Yea you can bowe the bottom of the clam if you pull against something too hard.
A good operator doesnt need a 4n'1, but on the contrary, a good operator knows how to use it and get the most out of one. A 4n'1 can make life a lot easier.

Picking off hard ground like asphalt or concrete takes a little practice. While you swing the clam in you have to roll the bucket back, at the same time keep the cutting edge on the back half of the bucket on the ground.

It also helps loading high trucks. It won't dump in the center of the truck, but using the clam you can dump without the lip of the bucket ending up inside the truck body. Once its heaped you can use the clam to push the material towards the other side of the truck.

Another trick I've learned is with road plates. If you chain it on to the hook on the center of the bucket and flip the clam up, the plate will come in and rest against the back half of the bucket. This way the plate isnt floping around hanging on the end of a chain.

Using the clam half to back drag works well to instead of the whole bucket. It also lets you get closer to objects this way to. Using it as a dozer? The times I have run a machine with a clam, I didnt really use it as a dozer. I didnt see to much a point in it.

You may loose a little breakout/lift capacity along with a few bucks verses cost of a regular bucket.

Ive run a 580Super K and a 420D IT with 4n'1's. I like the K better, I had a hard time with the electric control verses the mechanical lever on the K. I like the newer cases with the loader lever that twists side to side.
Fletch7897 from the forum was the one who taught me a few tricks about using it on asphalt on his 420 a few years back. If he pops up Id ask him also, hes always had clams on his backhoes.
Hope this helps your decision.
Jim

Bring the Qball back!