DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Twenty years as a DHS forum Member Options · View
Kevin Bridle
Posted: Sunday, February 11, 2024 7:10:09 PM
Groups: Member

According to my profile I've been a member on the forum for 20 years, I was actually a member since 1998 I think when I got my first Windows PC, something happened to my login either at my end of at DHS so I had to join again, back then there was far less construction and mining models available and the world was a much smaller place with no social media sites like today, DHS was one of the only places you could chat to people interested in our hobby, coming from the the UK I'm interested in full size mining machines and as I don't collect China I got models of machines I saw in books and occasionally working , DHS was a place to talk about models and argue about the pro and cons of our hobby, I still look in now and again but like most people belong to a myriad of Facebook sites, Whilst I realised the forum was designed to attract customers it provided a welcome respite from the days work and I logged on every day for at least 10 tens years, so I'm glad its still going and wish all you present members happy collecting , regards Kevin
Jamiescotland
Posted: Sunday, February 11, 2024 8:07:51 PM

Hi Kevin, well done for joining twenty six years ago. Looks like I've been a member here for eleven years now, so still a new boy!
I was a bit late in joining. I never imagined there were forums to discuss models, but found DHS a lot when googling for images of models (photobucket would come up a lot back then).
I remember soon after I joined, a few of the oldies were leaving - people like Richard Fowler who was amazingly inspirational on the custom front. It's a shame it's not the thriving forum it perhaps once was, but I still enjoy seeing people's models and customs here, and of course showing mine (very occasionally now as time and money don't allow for much tinkering unfortunately). I'm not really on Facebook at all (I have my business page but that's it) Your huge P&H shovel build was also inspiring Kevin!
Cheers, Jamie
3406E
Posted: Monday, February 12, 2024 2:17:10 AM

Wow, I'm coming up on 12 years. Where does the time go? I got a lot of inspiration and information from these forums when I first joined. It was quite the community.

Facebook: NorCalDiecastCustoms
Instagram: NorCalDiecastCustoms

Clifton
modelmaniac
Posted: Monday, February 12, 2024 12:28:53 PM

WOW! I joined, in 2005.That was a long time ago!This site has inspired ALL of my custom work, with other sites to confirm, or reinforce the original inspiration by various people posting pics of their finished, or in progress work.This is my favourite site, as it's English language, and still the best (for me) source of info, for specific modelling items, new releases, peoples workings, etc.
kokosing Const Co
Posted: Monday, February 12, 2024 5:11:47 PM

I remember stumbling across the forums here and seeing what a vast array of collectors there was out there across the world.

I have been very thankful to meet a lot of people personally and many have become very close friends through this hobby!

And almost 18 years myself?! Wow!
89cxsport
Posted: Monday, February 12, 2024 7:47:43 PM

17 years myself, still have the forum as my one of my homepages on my desktop. I had limited knowledge of construction models when I first joined here this forum expanded that horizon by miles.

Flickr Photostream
Steveo
Posted: Tuesday, February 13, 2024 12:24:35 AM

Just checked my profile and found that I will be a member in June for 20 years also.........Monday, June 07, 2004 8:09:00 PM. Brings back so many memories as I obtained so many Alan Smith models back in the day !!!!! Smile
dain555
Posted: Tuesday, February 13, 2024 1:31:31 PM

I'll have been here 17 wonderful years on the 5th of June!! Yes this has and will be my home for knowledge and experience in this hobby!! Many of the other Facebook groups don't compare to the people who make up this forum with the kind words, information and help there is here!! I've actually been belittled and bullied on a couple of those groups just because I pointed out a couple of errors in dioramas and model displays so I don't post much in those places!!! I mean I've got 17 years in diecast models and 40+ years in modeling of all different types but yet I get blasted from some newbie who can't even get a winch line right??? Sorry for the rant but I know we've all been there. Well brothers and sisters, hopefully I'll be able to do another 17 years at least!!

Just remember one thing, it doesn't matter how old you are a great hobby like ours keeps your imagination going!! Heck, I'm now 66 (just had a birthday last month) and I still have a great imagination!!

Dain

I'm a kid at heart, so I will play with any model construction vehicle from 1:87 scale to 1:1 scale!!!!

Age is a state of time NOT a state of mind!!
groundedpilot
Posted: Tuesday, February 13, 2024 5:38:55 PM

I'm here since 22 years....

I miss the times when there were 3 pages of new answers every day......

F...b is a piece of sh.. where you cannot find the day after what has been posted the hour before.

Unfortunately lots of users have migrated there
dain555
Posted: Wednesday, February 14, 2024 3:08:15 PM

[quote=groundedpilot]

I'm here since 22 years....

I miss the times when there were 3 pages of new answers every day......

F...b is a piece of sh.. where you cannot find the day after what has been posted the hour before.

Unfortunately lots of users have migrated there[/quot]

It's not only the FB thing it's also the photo thing!! It used to be that many photo sharing places like Photobucket and the others were free so it was really easy for members to share their projects and stuff like the diorama stuff. But sadly many of those photo sharing things started charging for the service!! I used to be on Photobucket but I wasn't able to afford the expense so I took my pictures to Flickr but I'm not that great at using their format like I was with Photobucket. That's where FB is easy because you don't have to do much to post a picture!!

I'm with you though, as I miss the banter and other fun stuff that was posted on here but thankfully we still have this forum and there are still a few of us who keep it going!!!

Dain

I'm a kid at heart, so I will play with any model construction vehicle from 1:87 scale to 1:1 scale!!!!

Age is a state of time NOT a state of mind!!
Pascal73
Posted: Thursday, February 15, 2024 6:10:40 AM

C'est marrant, tout le monde se plaint mais personne ne fait l'effort de faire vivre. Je poste de temps en temps sur mon sujet qui n'intéresse sans doute personne puis qu'il n'y a pas de commentaires.
Ce n'est pas parce que FaceBook existe qu'il faut négliger les forums.

www.ec1000.net
modelmaniac
Posted: Thursday, February 15, 2024 11:13:46 AM

Someone just had to write a comment in French.Confused
Jamiescotland
Posted: Thursday, February 15, 2024 3:00:10 PM

Vos modèles sont excellents Pascal ! Je suis sûr que beaucoup de gens ici aiment voir ce que vous montrez, mais peut-être qu'ils ne commentent pas toujours. Ne le prenez pas personnellement. Continuez ce bon travail!!

Your models are excellent Pascal! I'm sure lots of people here enjoy seeing what you show, but perhaps they don't always comment. Don't take it personally though. Keep up the great work!!
Pascal73
Posted: Friday, February 16, 2024 5:46:03 AM

modelmaniac wrote:

Pourquoi? C'est interdit? Oui j'écris parfois en français car je ne maitrise que peu l'anglais, mais je fais l'effort.Il aurait été sans doute plus intéressant de commenter le contenu de mon message plutôt que sa forme, isnt'it?

www.ec1000.net
modelmaniac
Posted: Friday, February 16, 2024 10:54:34 AM

Don't know what that says.Applause
Pascal73
Posted: Friday, February 16, 2024 3:11:55 PM

modelmaniac wrote:
Don't know what that says.Applause

You can use google traductor or reverso or an other. I make effort to write in english, but sometimes everybody can make an effort for others members.

www.ec1000.net
digggerr
Posted: Friday, February 16, 2024 6:54:33 PM

modelmaniac wrote:

And, someone just had to be an asshole about it!
digggerr
Posted: Friday, February 16, 2024 6:57:50 PM

Monsieur Duarté,

S'il vous plaît, ignorez simplement cette personne ? Il n’a jamais posté de photos de modèles et ne semble pas vraiment s’y connaître en engins de chantier.

En tant que collectionneur depuis plus d'un demi-siècle, j'apprécie et apprécie vraiment vos photos car je comprends le temps et les efforts nécessaires à la création d'une « superbe photo et je vous encourage à continuer à le faire ».

Dans quel genre de monde vivons-nous maintenant où il est devenu "trop" de faire 2 clics de souris et de traduire quoi que ce soit sur son moniteur ????????????

S'il vous plaît, comprenez que vos messages sont appréciés malgré mon échec à commenter à chaque fois ?

Kevin Bridle
Posted: Saturday, February 17, 2024 10:38:51 AM

modelmaniac wrote:
Grow up Mr Newnham, the world's a big place and this is a world wide forum, coming from England I know quite a lot of French although I have never been there, maybe you need to get out more, you might learn some tolerance the gentleman you are bad mouthing is very knowledgeable and its well worth listening to all voices on here even the morons from BF New York who thought cranes were the center of the Universe.
modelmaniac
Posted: Saturday, February 17, 2024 10:42:11 AM

The only assholes write French comments on an American website.Read by English speaking audiences. Thanks though, now I know.I cannot translate anything.Applause I'm not 'badmouthing' anyone, it would be better if it was one language, that's all.