DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

DHL truck/trailer Accident Snow Diorama Options · View
tiking
Posted: Sunday, May 22, 2022 9:45:01 AM
Groups: Member

Its's another 1:50 job in the works. Rikard Algotsson has Commission me, to build another 1:50 scale diorama. This time a snow diorama. Now this is my first snow diorama has I have never felt comfortable about doing one due to the lack of knowledge. I've always added or tried to mimic melted ice on the roads, in certain areas. You can see them in a few photos. I also put blown-snow on the signs and road guard post to simulate blown-snow. The effect is pretty cool and authentic. I also added some skid marks in the snow that as been covered by fresh snow in some areas. So far I am proud of this diorama.

RMS Models
Posted: Sunday, May 22, 2022 2:49:34 PM

I like that ! Well done! Very Realistic. Can you share what was utilized for snow?
tiking
Posted: Sunday, May 22, 2022 4:47:39 PM

Materials:

1-. Cotton (I used the ones that come in a wider form. Not the buds. Although it would work but you can get thicker layers in a package for little or less. The idea of using cotton was an idea I got from another modeler)

2. PVA (any good grade PVA will do)

3. Johnson Baby Powder ( that's the one I used. I am thinking the better the brand, the better the results. Although, I don't really think its necessary.)

4. Woodlands Scenics Soft Snowflakes

5. A good hairspray( I used one with 'stronghold')

1. I laid out cotton as the base first (The idea of using cotton might sound strange but really I like the idea. As this method is simple. The cotton is already white and easier to mold as you apply it with the next step. Also it makes a nice under structure for the other effects you will finally put on top of it.

2. Then I take a mixture of water and PVA glue( I have no ratio figures. Just mix until it is the consistency you like. Just as long as it holds the cotton together. Dab or brush on the glue mix until you flatten out or formed the cotton you will want it)

3. You can either wait until the glue completely dries and put more glue on or do what I do in the next step.

4. I did not wait until the glue dried. I took the Woodlands Scenics soft snowflake and using a sieve, I sprinkled the contents unto the area you want your snow. The material will hopefully be soaked up by the glue as it dries.

5. I then sprayed the area with a hairspray, holding the can from high above, about 50cm or 60cm. This way, you don't blow any snowflakes. (This process can be done after everything dries. But just being me, I sprayed on it before it had time to dry. you can also spray another coat after the drying time.

6. This next step I used mostly for the vehicles.

A. Spray a coat of hair spray over the area of the vehicles you want the snow.
B. Then take a sieve, again,and sprinkle baby powder over the area you just sprayed the baby powder. I used baby powder instead of the Woodlands Scenics snow, because it is much finer than then the woodlands Scenics and looks much better.
C Then from a distance, spray more short burst of baby powder over the area again to kind of seal in the powder. It is better to do this in layers.

D. You can also sprinkle baby powder over the Woodlands Scenics snow, after the whole thing as dried, just to get that extra finer powder look of snow then seal everything with hair spray.

E. As for the little small clumps here and there on the road was done by taken small stands of cott0n strands and pulling them gently so it gives that small patch ice/snow look. I am still experimenting but so far the effect looks good.

F. The small snow blown patches on the road signs were done using a mixture of PVA glue, white acrylic paint and a little baking soda. I just took a small old brush and dry-brushed with small minute clumps on the post and signs. Do this until you are satisfied.

That's it. Hope it helps.
ChandlerYohn
Posted: Sunday, May 22, 2022 6:13:33 PM

Very cool effect, I'm sure your client will be impressed. Thanks so much for sharing.

Instagram ChandlerYohn YouTube
tiking
Posted: Sunday, May 22, 2022 6:25:40 PM

ChandlerYohn wrote:
Very cool effect, I'm sure your client will be impressed. Thanks so much for sharing.

Thank you. Smiley
RobS
Posted: Monday, May 23, 2022 3:27:30 PM

Well done!

Rob
tiking
Posted: Tuesday, May 24, 2022 11:39:12 AM

Thank you Rob.