DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

1/87 herpa and awm models: metal or plastics? Options · View
wildpig1234
Posted: Saturday, October 16, 2021 5:13:48 AM
Groups: Member

So are these 1/87 mostly metal or plastic?
dain555
Posted: Saturday, October 16, 2021 1:13:58 PM

To the best of my knowledge because I'm a model railroader and I my model railroad is in 1:87 or 'HO' scale these models are genuinely plastic. The reason why is because of weight, if the model is metal it will add more weight to a railcar if it's used for a load. Most always an HO railcar has a weight bar in it that gives it the proper weight and stability for the train also if the metal model falls off the railcar two things could happen, 1) damage to either the track or other cars or 2) it could short out the operation transformer that would damage either the track, transformer, locomotive motor or cause the possibility of a fire. With plastic loads the risks are low and as I said the weight for the car is usually installed in the car so there isn't a shorting risk. Now I do know a few manufacturers that make metal 1:87 scale vehicles but the ones you mentioned are primarily plastic. Hope this helps you out!!

Dain

I'm a kid at heart, so I will play with any model construction vehicle from 1:87 scale to 1:1 scale!!!!

Age is a state of time NOT a state of mind!!
wildpig1234
Posted: Saturday, October 16, 2021 3:21:55 PM

They are def expensive pieces of plastics....lol... not bad details for the scale though. I was thinking of getting some to go along with my new kranlab ltm 1500 which is metal.

I put together a kibri ltm 1800 but it's too fragile to play with
dain555
Posted: Sunday, October 17, 2021 12:34:30 PM

Yes, they are expensive for such a small scale model kit, yes they do have some good detail and yes they are fragile and not meant to be played with!! Basically they are what is known in the model railroad hobby as "static display" models, this means they are great to look at and are to enhance a layout but are basically for show. In most 'HO' model railroad layouts the trains are the operational part unless someone puts motion into the layout and then that additional motion is limited to say a vehicle traveling on a road or a carnival scene or I've even seen ice skating figures on a "pond"!!!

Again I hope my explanation helps, as I said I have been a model railroader for many decades. Hopefully after I get my house organized I can get something set up for my 'HO' Air Force locomotive as I would like to set up a replica of the Air Base I was at with the actual real locomotive!! The layout will be what is called a "point to point" style where it starts at one point goes a scale distance to another point and then returns. These types of layouts are nice for limited spaces like apartments or small houses.

Dain

I'm a kid at heart, so I will play with any model construction vehicle from 1:87 scale to 1:1 scale!!!!

wildpig1234
Posted: Friday, October 29, 2021 7:34:10 AM

I got my first batch of 1/87 herpa and awm. Not bad at all.... It is expensive for plastic and not as durable as diecast metal. but many details are definitely there! The herpa lowloader trailer is extendable just like in 1/50 scale. and you can also detach the gooseneck and the dolly by removing the tiny pins as well as variable angle for the gooseneck.

It turns out that the kingpin/fifth wheel on the herpa and awm trucks are COMPATIBLE with each other so you can mix and match tractors and trailers between herpa and awm. The only limitation being that some of the trailers are designed for being used with the 4X2 tractor which has the fifth wheel located further back compared to 6X4 or 8X4 tractors which has the fifth wheel further forward in position so there is not quite enough clearance space for the trailer to make a turn

All in all, def more fragile but i mean overall, most of the details are there. They are small enough that i can put a few on my limited desk space to play with while i work....lol....
Jamiescotland
Posted: Friday, October 29, 2021 8:17:14 AM

I like the Kibri plastic kits in 1:87 scale. They're often pretty cheap (around 10 UK pounds for excavators/shovels) and build up quite nicely.
Here's a Menck shovel I build a few years ago.

1:87 Kibri Menck M154 rope shovel by ****llection, on Flickr"/>
wildpig1234
Posted: Friday, October 29, 2021 9:55:50 AM

Jamiescotland wrote:
I like the Kibri plastic kits in 1:87 scale. They're often pretty cheap (around 10 UK pounds for excavators/shovels) and build up quite nicely.
Here's a Menck shovel I build a few years ago.

Looks good ;) although i don't know where to find any cheap kibri for 10euro now....lol. I got 4 kibri kits: 3 cranes and one tractor trailer. They are all plastic of course. Take too long to glue together. Also they are even more fragile than the herpa stuffs...lol... I have decided not to get anymore kibri because they are too fragile for playing and take too long to glue.

wildpig1234
Posted: Saturday, October 30, 2021 4:53:52 AM

The level of details and functionality for these 1/87 continues to amaze me.

That lowboy trailer deck is extendable. Also the edge of the deck is removable to make the width narrower if needed. The fifth wheel on the red herpa truck is removable but it's not easy. After removing the fifth wheel, you can add a ballast box. There is already a rear towing hitch installed on this red tractor to use with a towbar trailer.

The herpa car carrier deck is fully configurable with regard to deck height. it comes with a bunch of additional things you can add, including a roof deck to carry a car right on top of the truck cab. The cab flips forward so you can see a plastic engine ;)

It also comes with a set of 6 audi autos. But as you can see, the trailer. tractor can be configured to carry up to 9 cars. So i got a few additional mercedes, porsches for it ;)

I just wish these things are not plastic...lol...

Enjoy the pics!

wildpig1234
Posted: Sunday, October 31, 2021 8:06:27 AM

I am looking for some 1/87 53ft containers and trailer set . Preferably separate 53ft container that you place a separate 53ft container trailer. Hopefully it would have compatible king pin to use with a herpa or awm tractor. but fine if not.

let me know. thanks.
dain555
Posted: Sunday, October 31, 2021 4:44:58 PM

Try looking at Atlas model railroad they might have stuff you want or Athearn model railroad , hope this helps!!

Dain

wildpig1234
Posted: Sunday, October 31, 2021 10:23:51 PM

I found a few 53' and 48' carrier trailers but they are very hard to find compared to 20 and 40 45 ' trailers

1/50 53ft containers and carrier trailer virtually impossible to find
dain555
Posted: Monday, November 01, 2021 3:37:12 PM

Try looking on the internet for model railroad supplies. I know there are many retailers that sell various brands of vehicles in 1:87 (HO) scale!! I have several containers from 53' to 20' including tank containers. I also have a couple container trailers with the one being extendable from 40' to 53' for what I have. I also have the HO scale well cars for my containers too!!!

Dain

Ironstef70
Posted: Tuesday, November 02, 2021 10:07:17 AM

About containers in HO scale, may I also suggest (for most detailed and modern versions):

ScaleTrains
https://www.scaletrains.com/ho-scale/ho-scale-containers.html

ScaleTrains

Rapido
https://rapidotrains.com/products/ho-scale/freight-cars/ho-scale-53-high-cube-containers

Rapido Trains

Then, if you are looking for the cheapest option, Walthers is always a good choice, but not as detailed:

Walthers
https://www.walthers.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=container

Walthers

S

Posted: Tuesday, November 02, 2021 10:45:21 AM

thanks for the replies. I've found several 1/87 53'' containers. But the 53' container carry chassic is significantly harder to find although i did manage to find a couple of 2 axle and 3 axle ones.

Have anyone seen separate 53' container and trailer in 1/50?
GuyM
Posted: Tuesday, November 02, 2021 12:30:35 PM

wildpig1234[... wrote:

Diecast Masters produce a 53ft long 2-axle flatbed semi-trailer long but the only containers they produce are 20ft and 40ft long. I have used it to carry a Tekno 45ft container (see below):

There are some Tekno 45ft containers but the only 53ft container I know is produced by Tonkin Replicas and is in a 1/53 scale: https://www.truckmo.com/en/other-brands/tonkin/accessoire/3299/tonkin-53-container-trailer-schneider

In terms of scale, a 53ft container which is 16.15 metres long, is reduced to:
- 32.3cm in a 1/50 scale,
- 30.48cm (1/53). That is shorter by almost 2cm, when compared to its 1/50 counterpart: I assure you that is visible when loaded onto a 1/50 53ft trailer!

I hope this helps.
Guy
wildpig1234
Posted: Tuesday, November 02, 2021 1:56:27 PM

GuyM wrote:
wildpig1234[... wrote:

Diecast Masters produce a 53ft long 2-axle flatbed semi-trailer long but the only containers they produce are 20ft and 40ft long. I have used it to carry a Tekno 45ft container (see below):

There are some Tekno 45ft containers but the only 53ft container I know is produced by Tonkin Replicas and is in a 1/53 scale: https://www.truckmo.com/en/other-brands/tonkin/accessoire/3299/tonkin-53-container-trailer-schneider

In terms of scale, a 53ft container which is 16.15 metres long, is reduced to:
- 32.3cm in a 1/50 scale,
- 30.48cm (1/53). That is shorter by almost 2cm, when compared to its 1/50 counterpart: I assure you that is visible when loaded onto a 1/50 53ft trailer!

I hope this helps.
Guy

Yeah, I am not talking even about a flat bed trailer which is that that DM is. I am talking about an actually container chassic that's designed to carry containers exclusive. haven't seen one in 1/50

Well, i guess about the only place where 53' containers are popular is in US. And a lot of models manufacturers are located in eur or asia so guess they don't care as much about 53' containers or carrier chassic ....lol..
dain555
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2021 12:44:13 PM

If you have a local model railroad shop near you, you can check there for Athearn Model Railroad stuff, I know they used to have a container chassis that would slide from 40 foot to 53 foot to accommodate the containers. I actually have one that I got for my HO Railroad. No they don't have any American container chassis for 1:50 scale as that is not a model railroad scale. Most model railroad scales are as follows,

1:48 = "O" scale
1:64 = "S" scale
1:87 = "HO" scale
1:160 = "N" scale

These are the most popular model railroad scales but there is also at least 3 more model railroad scales!!! They are "G" scale or Garden scale, this is the biggest model railroad scale before Live Steam. Then on the other side is "TT" scale which is smaller than "N" scale and "Z" scale which is the smallest model railroad scale!!!

Hope this helps you and as I said, if you have any model railroad hobby shop close to you go check them out as some places have stock while other places are sold out!!

Dain

RobS
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2021 2:18:40 PM

wildpig1234 wrote:

Yeah, I am not talking even about a flat bed trailer which is that that DM is. I am talking about an actually container chassic that's designed to carry containers exclusive. haven't seen one in 1/50

Well, i guess about the only place where 53' containers are popular is in US. And a lot of models manufacturers are located in eur or asia so guess they don't care as much about 53' containers or carrier chassic ....lol..

Diecast Masters make a 40' container trailer. I have both yellow and black versions. I have removed the side rails and one axle to better represent what I see around here. Both mods are simple.

https://diecastmasters.com/product/150-western-star-4700-sb-tandem-truck-tractor-with-40-dry-good-sea-container-metallic-red-tractor-yellow-trailer-evergreen-container/

Rob
wildpig1234
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2021 7:17:29 PM

RobS wrote:

Diecast Masters make a 40' container trailer. I have both yellow and black versions. I have removed the side rails and one axle to better represent what I see around here. Both mods are simple.

Rob

Yeah. I saw that 1/50 40' container chassic trailer... What i mean was that i have not been able to find any 1/50 53' container carrying chaasic trailer.

Even at 1/87 the 53' container and chassic are not as easy to find as the 40 or 45'..

I am guessing that bc 53' are mostly used only in US and most model makers are in eu or china so they dont care about 53'?
GuyM
Posted: Thursday, November 04, 2021 4:58:20 AM

wildpig1234 wrote:
[...]I am guessing that bc 53' are mostly used only in US and most model makers are in eu or china so they dont care about 53'?

Wildpig1234,

That's correct: 53ft containers (and associated carrying semi-trailers) are mainly used in North-America, therefore European and Chinese model producers probably don't see a market wide enough to produce 1/50 diecast models of them. If there are a few 53' box semi-trailers in a 1/50 scale (First Gear, Sword/TWH and now WSI...), the only 53' container unit I know - as said previously - is made by the American Tonkin Replicas, but bad luck: the set is in a 1/53 scale!

Regards.
Guy