DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Hauling in and erecting Liebherr LR 11000 Options · View
Steveo
Posted: Thursday, August 12, 2021 12:12:27 PM
Groups: Member

Oh my...........if this link was a photo of a crane on it's side I'm glad I couldn't get it to open !!!!!!!!!!!!! Just hope I never come upon one in that state !!!!!!!!!
craneman
Posted: Thursday, August 12, 2021 1:55:00 PM

Paul R wrote:
craneman wrote:

Seems that post has been removed now?

Paul R

The facebook page is called "Crane Wrecks Around The World" you can see the full story there.
craneman
Posted: Thursday, August 12, 2021 5:04:30 PM

Steveo wrote:
Oh my...........if this link was a photo of a crane on it's side I'm glad I couldn't get it to open !!!!!!!!!!!!! Just hope I never come upon one in that state !!!!!!!!!

Yes some very foolish people made some very stupid mistakes and cause the demise of said beautiful crane. Truly is a shame.
Davie82
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2021 1:59:24 PM

There are still photos available of the incident - it happened back in September 2019. Seems relatively common to see cranes being carted over unstable ground between sites, which is where these incidents usually occur.
JohnGalt
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2021 12:18:38 PM

The wind farms often get built in farm fields. Farmers like soft soil and rain. The sites are usually chosen because there is a lot of wind. When the construction is complete, the sites (with the exception of a maintenance access road) need to be restored to the existing conditions. That leads to the conflict: a proper crane path from one site to the next, through a farm field, would take a lot of time and money to build. It would get used once, and then a lot of time and money would be required to remove the crane path. A lesser crane path is much easier to remove and restore. On a wind farm project with 100 sites, saving $50,000 on access to each site is a $5 million decision.
Cranes Etc
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2021 12:31:43 PM

Yes, And wrecking $5m+ cranes might indicate the decision processes are not the best!

http://www.CranesEtc.co.uk
http://www.Twitter.com/CranesEtc
http://www.YouTube.com/CranesEtcTV
Cranes Etc on Facebook
JohnGalt
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2021 1:38:47 PM

A lot of times the crane doesn't get wrecked, and that leads to the "we do this all the time and it's fine" mentality.
The cranes are not the only vehicles to consider. The heavy nacelles, and long blade and tower section deliveries require temporary access roads, too. Plenty of those trucks end up on their sides, as well. So I'm told. Whistle
Steveo
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2021 5:16:01 PM

Have been watching them in the last month here and it's interesting how they move these big fellas around. When they are close to the next tower and can, they just lay down two paths of crane mats and just take off. I've also seen them drop the boom down and carry the boom end with a Goldhofer to sneak under a power line without dismantling. Others they have to break down the whole crane and use trucks to move them. And sometimes they'll use a 12 axel Goldhofer to take a couple of the big chunks down the road. And yes.........there's a lot of work involved in the run in/run off roads and taking the stone back up to get things back to "normal". I've also seen them pile about 4 to 5 feet of stone over a county road to take a crane over the road to the other side to protect the road. Just a tremendous amount of work. Just glad I wasn't the project estimator for the job !!!!! I saw last fall on the neighboring site where they dropped a LR 11000 boom down and carried it through the farm fields and under two high lines over three and a half miles to continue on. Toughest job on that site looked like the two fellas running two 988's moving the cranes mats around !!!!!