DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

The loss of fellow collectors Options · View
RFSALES
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2020 6:21:34 PM
Groups: Member

In the last 3 months I have lost 2 very good friends to cancer Both started out as customers and became very good friends, helped me at shows, gave me advice and helped me move twice.
I had many customers who became friends but these 2 were the best.

So it is time to say farewell to Troy LaPlume who died earlier this summer and Tom Lorey who passed away last night.
Both were found to have colon cancer that spread. We worry about covid, cancer is a worse problem.
Some of you on this forum knew one or both.

Be at peace my friends.
Dex
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2020 6:25:57 PM

Rest in peace, Gentlemen.
admin
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2020 7:15:23 PM
Groups: Administration

Friends,

These two were some of the best people I knew. Both had extensive collections and more knowledge about the hobby than I will ever have. I learned more from speaking with them than I did doing any of my own research. It is a sad day when people like this leave us.

And the best part was that they both had the ability to put up with Uncle Roy for many, many years. Not sure how they did it - it is really a lost art now.

Oh the stories those guys could tell!

RIP Troy and Tom - Best to their families!

Chuck

Quinella
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2020 7:30:14 PM

So sorry for your loss of friends Roy, and for the loss of two collectors.
Gd10r
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2020 7:36:35 PM

I'm so sorry to hear. Tom in particular shepherded me though my early days of colleting and we remained good friends all this time. He will be missed. RIP. Graham

Still Plays with Toys
Rivera2171
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2020 11:40:13 PM

My condolences. It sucks when life gives someone a heavy dose of reality. Unfortunately, none of us can escape the inevitable. Hopefully they are both in a much better place.

👍
DeWoc19
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2020 11:59:17 PM

I'm surprised this was never posted on here but almost 3 weeks ago Laurent "Larry" Gagnon, better know on DHS as laurent o.e.987 passed away. That one really bummed me out to see on Facebook as I had just been talking g with him not to terribly long ago before he passed
Paul R
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2020 5:47:45 AM

DeWoc19 wrote:
I'm surprised this was never posted on here but almost 3 weeks ago Laurent "Larry" Gagnon, better know on DHS as laurent o.e.987 passed away. That one really bummed me out to see on Facebook as I had just been talking g with him not to terribly long ago before he passed

Yes I saw that on FB also. Came as quite a shock as I had also talked with him on several occasions via FB and DHS Forum. Never met him but seemed a real nice guy.

Paul R
JohnGalt
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2020 12:37:19 PM

I never got to meet any of those gentlemen, but I remember them from the forums. It's always sad to lose a member of our little community.
dain555
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2020 2:20:58 PM

Sorry for the loss of dear friends and I know how bad that cancer stuff is as I lost my mom and dad to cancer!! Prayers to "Uncle" Roy as I know you are really a great guy who has been solid to me everytime we have talked on the phone.

It's unfortunate that these days the model world is shrinking and that more young people would rather spend their time, money and lives on things like video games. I have come kinda full circle with hobbies as when I was a kid I had Matchbox vehicles then went to plastic model kits then model railroad then to die-cast construction equipment and I'm back to some of everything now as my space and budget allows. I also try to follow what I was taught when I joined the NMRA in that I try to promote the hobbies by helping others know more about them and also help when others have questions.

I only hope that the hobby doesn't slowly go by the wayside as I have met many great people and still keep in contact with them!!

Again my thoughts and prayers to all and hopefully one day that nasty C stuff will not be a factor in people's lives!!!

Dain

I'm a kid at heart, so I will play with any model construction vehicle from 1:87 scale to 1:1 scale!!!!

Age is a state of time NOT a state of mind!!
rlmc
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2020 6:05:45 PM

Sad to lose good friends. We lost Chip Carlin about 3 years ago.

Robert
GC1
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2020 7:12:44 PM

Sad losses all around and not replaceable. I have done the dance with Cancer in the last couple of years and have a mate who has just been given six months to live...yesterday. A couple of things I learned on the way....

That model you agonised about getting and missed becaused you agonised for so long ...now you get it or move on to the next one you want in a more timely manner.
Those friends we make on the way through..when they are gone they leave treasured memories which are as good as and sometimes more dear to us collectors than family....sometimes.
None of us are getting out of this merry go round alive....so make the best of it.

Then a really important point...the people here who display their respective models and collections do it for all of us and give us all joy and memories, information and tips that are not found anywhere else and as such are irreplaceable and valuable to a level that we all value dearly. I thank them one and all dearly and daily.
Rod Cross
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2020 10:16:27 PM

So sorry to hear the loss of two great guys. Story about Tom, first met him in Ankeny, Iowa and he let me share a table with him at the Historical Equipment show. We were in the ACMOC tent. Such a great time to spend with a great collector and knowledge of the business
They will both be missed.
kcmtoys
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2020 11:17:05 PM

I am sorry to hear of Tom and Troy's passing. I knew both of them for a long time. Tom was well known for his custom built Cat D9 pull tractors and scraper pans. Troy and his parents live not too far from me and we would talk at a lot of shows over the years. The hobby has lost two great guys. RIP Ken
89cxsport
Posted: Monday, August 31, 2020 10:30:21 PM

Not a 100% on this but I believe Dave Sommers aka DumpsterToy passed away as well, his name was in the in memory section in the Winter issue of Equipment Echoes.

Flickr Photostream
admin
Posted: Tuesday, September 01, 2020 1:35:00 PM
Groups: Administration

Dave did unfortunately pass away earlier this year as well.

I really miss his posts here on the forum!

Chuck
kcmtoys
Posted: Tuesday, September 01, 2020 1:46:33 PM

Sorry to hear about Dave. RIP
SDBOB
Posted: Thursday, September 03, 2020 9:57:48 PM

Condolences. They will be our thoughts and prayers. I think what would my wife do with my collections
Pullshovel52
Posted: Friday, September 04, 2020 3:14:06 PM

This is my first time posting on this forum, although I have watched it as a guest for a long time. I met Tom Lorey through Roy Ferguson circa 1993. I asked Roy, Who could make a 637 out of an Ertl 631, and Roy said, Get in touch with Tom Lorey. Which I did, and Tom made me 2 637s and a couple C blades for Conrad D9s. We didn't talk often, but when we did it was for 45 minutes at a stretch. Tom had an encyclopedic knowledge of Iowa dirt contractors (Green, McAninch, Manatts, Peterson, Moyna) and in turn I would talk about Chicago contractors (Lambrecht, Lindahl, Kenny, Krug, et al.)
What a truly wonderful guy. I am so very sorry that he is gone.
kokosing Const Co
Posted: Thursday, November 19, 2020 9:11:04 PM

Also have learned of the passing of John Warren from Canada a few weeks back. Met him a few times at IMCATS and although quiet, he was such a nice guy to talk to. I do recall him posting quite a few pics on here of his collection he had, and what a stellar collection it was.

2020 sure does suck.