DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

New Autocar Cement Mixer Options · View
kcmtoys
Posted: Tuesday, February 04, 2020 9:58:41 PM

Groups: Member

Here are some pictures of the new Autocar at the World of Concrete show. Whistle Shhh

Autocar 2 by Ken Wheeler, on Flickr"/>

Autocar by Ken Wheeler, on Flickr"/>

Autocar 3 by Ken Wheeler, on Flickr"/>
Exkvate3140
Posted: Wednesday, February 05, 2020 12:29:44 AM

Ken that is a good looking rig, I believe we will be seeing a large number of Autocars on the roads again. They started these new trucks off with roll off containers in mind and then went straight to the mixers so I’m sure dumps and tractors are not far off. Thanks for posting the pictures. I guess the VHD’s will have some competition now. 😁😁😁😁
Steve
Quinella
Posted: Wednesday, February 05, 2020 1:24:38 AM

Exkvate3140 wrote:
Ken that is a good looking rig, I believe we will be seeing a large number of Autocars on the roads again. They started these new trucks off with roll off containers in mind and then went straight to the mixers so I’m sure dumps and tractors are not far off. Thanks for posting the pictures. I guess the VHD’s will have some competition now. 😁😁😁😁
Steve
Yes Bean Head, the Vulva HD's will have superior competition. Go back to the basement.
Exkvate3140
Posted: Wednesday, February 05, 2020 12:56:30 PM

Ken I thought you said members who were older than dirt and also on the PETA wanted list could no longer participate in your posts.
Steve
kcmtoys
Posted: Wednesday, February 05, 2020 3:35:51 PM

These are going back to "old school days" metal dash boards, door panels, and steel bumpers with very little plastic. Would make a great model! Shhh Teeth
RobS
Posted: Wednesday, February 05, 2020 5:14:53 PM

Curious, in my area (Indiana/Michigan), you never see these mixers anymore. Everything is front discharge. Anyone know why?

Rob
kcmtoys
Posted: Wednesday, February 05, 2020 6:17:08 PM

RobS wrote:
Curious, in my area (Indiana/Michigan), you never see these mixers anymore. Everything is front discharge. Anyone know why?

Rob

I live on the IL/WI line, and there are a lot more rear discharge than front discharge around here. Whistle
Exkvate3140
Posted: Wednesday, February 05, 2020 11:47:59 PM

Around RI they are mainly all front discharge now and I believe it has a lot to do with the allwheel drive and the sight that the driver has, being that his cab is right on top of the pour. Also when the driver discharges to much mix the form gentleman don’t have to swear as loud.
Steve
Exkvate3140
Posted: Wednesday, February 05, 2020 11:49:37 PM

Around RI they are mainly all front discharge now and I believe it has a lot to do with the allwheel drive and the sight that the driver has, being that his cab is right on top of the pour. Also when the driver discharges to much mix the form gentleman don’t have to swear as loud.
Steve
Quinella
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2020 1:34:10 AM

Exkvate3140 wrote:
Steve

What, you forgot you said it before? Hearing from you twice is twice as bad. Stick to the basement dingbat. CAW
RobS
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2020 10:03:19 AM

Exkvate3140 wrote:
Steve

The front discharge makes a lot more sense to me, mostly related to your last comment Whatever Still makes me wonder why anyone still uses the rear discharge?

Rob
SDBOB
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2020 11:05:35 AM

Rare -rear- around here. Drivers at plant I inspected dont want rears.Safer guys stay in trucks except for cleaning. Easier,quicker to load pumps,which is a lot of there work,dont know %, these days. But the jobs are majority commercial. The other jobs at times are filling mine voids as we have cave ins at times. 1 mile from me family lost there home. Took days to fill in with mix, density like dirt.
Exkvate3140
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2020 11:30:32 AM

Rob with pump trucks in abundance now the trucks with rear discharge just have to back to pump truck and empty, whereas without the pump, the trucks would have to follow the pour so the form or floor guys are not pushing the concrete to where they need. They are also not backing up ramps to pour, they just stay in one spot and pour. I would have to say also the cost of a a front discharge would cost more than a rear. (just a guess) So cost would also be a factor besides the site conditions and view from cab.

Rob I’m sure The Q would have all the information on why people choose which type,
and why people use what they use. I think he owned a small Redi mix company in NC. He had one mixer and it was a Freightliner COE and he chose a Rex rear discharge mixer because he said he liked the name, rear discharge.
Steve
kcmtoys
Posted: Saturday, February 08, 2020 8:24:43 PM

Here is a mixer that was very popular in the Chicagoland and Northern IL for years. Oshkosh with a Hendrickson spread axle. Meyer was the largest in the area for years. Whistle

Meyer Material Oshkosh by Ken Wheeler, on Flickr"/>

Meyer Mack with Hendrickson spread axle.

Meyer Material Mack mixer by Ken Wheeler, on Flickr"/>

Ozinga survived from the old days and is now one of the largest. The KW's in downtown Chicago run on Propane. (Their 1st Gear model mixers still command $400.00 or better, if you can find one)

Ozinga KW Mixer by Ken Wheeler, on Flickr"/>

Ozinga KW Propane by Ken Wheeler, on Flickr"/>

I live on the IL/WI boarder and Rogers is the largest in my area. They too have a lot of Rear discharge KW's and new Pete's.

Rogers KW by Ken Wheeler, on Flickr"/>

Harry W. Kuhn was a road builder in Northern IL for 55 years fefore closing up in 2005. He had a fleet of rear discharge Mack's and Oshkosh's, but no front discharge mixers. Here is a model of a run I did for Ritchie Brothers Auctions when they held Kuhn's auction.

Kuhn Mixer by Ken Wheeler, on Flickr"/>
Exkvate3140
Posted: Sunday, February 09, 2020 12:55:38 AM

Ken that Granite from Meyers is a tough and good looking rig, are those 13 yard mixers.
Steve
kcmtoys
Posted: Sunday, February 09, 2020 12:47:14 PM

Exkvate3140 wrote:
Ken that Granite from Meyers is a tough and good looking rig, are those 13 yard mixers.
Steve

I am not sure Steve. I think they can haul 9-10 yards on 4 axles in Illinois. I am not too familiar with mixers except that they are not Volvo's....d'oh!
Prairie is another big materials and redimix company in Northern Illinois. In the late 90's they bought up a lot of small to large gravel pits and redimix companies in Central and Northern Illinois and Southern Wisconsin. They had quite a few 1st Gear models produced, along with all the other companies in Chicago.

497118876 by Ken Wheeler, on Flickr"/>

Prairie Oshkosh mixer by Ken Wheeler, on Flickr"/>
Exkvate3140
Posted: Sunday, February 09, 2020 7:45:28 PM

Ken they save the Volvo’s for the trailer mixers where the real power is needed along with the good looks. Prairie has some mixers.
Thanks for all the pictures.
Steve
kcmtoys
Posted: Monday, February 10, 2020 12:58:00 PM

Exkvate3140 wrote:
Ken they save the Volvo’s for the trailer mixers where the real power is needed along with the good looks. Prairie has some mixers.
Steve

Thanks Steve. Here is the closest mixer to a Volvo I could find in the history of Chicago, a Material Service "White" d'oh! Shhh Whistle Ken

White 3000 Material Service by Ken Wheeler, on Flickr"/>
Exkvate3140
Posted: Monday, February 10, 2020 10:01:26 PM

Ken your the best, no matter what that she man says from NC. Thanks for the almost Volvo picture.
Steve
Quinella
Posted: Monday, February 10, 2020 11:30:43 PM

kcmtoys wrote:
Exkvate3140 wrote:
Steve

Thanks Steve. Here is the closest mixer to a Volvo I could find in the history of Chicago, a Material Service "White" d'oh! Shhh Whistle Ken

White 3000 Material Service by Ken Wheeler, on Flickr"/>

Hey a cabover "White". That's so much better than a Vulcan. GREAT pictures Ken. CAW