DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

WSI Hitachi 870 Options · View
Exkvate3140
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2019 1:31:27 AM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 7/6/2015
Posts: 794
Max you are observant and obviously very familiar with this zinc rot. Do you know the actual cause of this problem. I know members have said it has a lot to do with inferior materials, is that the only reason. Could it be caused by climate or moisture or could these factors even speed up the process of the rot. This could be a problem because I would hate to move my wife into the basement and bring the collection up into the warm and dry bedroom. Any information would be appreciated.
Thanks
Steve
maxcavator
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2019 1:55:01 AM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 3/16/2015
Posts: 146
I don't know the exact causes, but I do know it is a problem at the foundry that casted the parts.
There is nothing you can do to fix it, AFAIK once the parts show signs of rot, it's just a mater of time.
I have read that keeping the model in a dry cool place can help to slow down the deterioration, I don't know for sure.

This was one of my Hitachi 870. Some parts are fine while others are not. One side of tracks was destroyed while the other was perfectly fine.

Exkvate3140
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2019 3:20:18 AM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 7/6/2015
Posts: 794
Max thanks very much for that information. That’s a shame about your models, nothing WSI can do for you in this case? As for my case I hope my wife likes the basement.
Steve
Paul R
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2019 5:46:04 AM

Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 1/11/2007
Posts: 8,350
Location: Lincolnshire
maxcavator wrote:
It's not hard to do, I have a WSI Deere 870G that was never released,


And there it is! Though I was told it was an 850. You are lucky to have one Applause

Paul R
Paul
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2019 6:21:37 AM

Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 10/7/2005
Posts: 2,463
Location: Shetland
Have WSI ever commented on the Hitachi 870 zink rot issue?.

These are models many people spent their hard earned money on and for them to just fall to pieces in such a catastrophic way is pretty poor!.




Scania V8. The best sounding truck in the world.

maxcavator
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2019 10:45:54 AM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 3/16/2015
Posts: 146
Paul R wrote:
maxcavator wrote:
It's not hard to do, I have a WSI Deere 870G that was never released,


And there it is! Though I was told it was an 850. You are lucky to have one Applause


If you just do a repaint, then yes, you have to make it an 850 to keep it looking accurate.
I went the extra effort and cut/reshaped the model in several places to make it a more accurate 870G.

Those Deere models were not a WSI production.
Quinella
Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2019 12:24:09 AM

Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 6/18/2003
Posts: 1,744
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina
Are there any other models out there that have this problem as much as the Hitachi 870? I had not even heard of this. I talked with Chuck today and he was shocked. CAW
Paul R
Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2019 12:03:58 PM

Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 1/11/2007
Posts: 8,350
Location: Lincolnshire
Quinella wrote:
Are there any other models out there that have this problem as much as the Hitachi 870? I had not even heard of this. I talked with Chuck today and he was shocked. CAW


I’ve not come across any other WSI models with this issue. But other manufacturers such as Lion Toys have had it. I’ve a trailer that just fell apart.

I’m frankly surprised that you said Chuck was shocked at this. The 870 is well known to have this issue and Chuck normally has his finger on the pulse.

Paul R
maxcavator
Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2019 12:57:10 PM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 3/16/2015
Posts: 146
I do too, that's a well known problem with some of the earlier models. The parts are so brittle, an Oreo is harder to break.
This is my second worse WSI 870. I have to admit it kinda made me be very skittish about buying big ticket items made by WSI.
I know problems and mistakes do happen but pretending they don't exist is a problem in my opinion... WSI dropped the ball on this one.

modelmaniac
Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2019 1:41:45 PM

Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 10/4/2005
Posts: 567
Location: england
Aargh!It's so horrible,to see those pics.That machine,in all those pieces.I am terrified of looking at the ones I have in the loft.They have never been opened,since being delivered.I am hoping they are alright.
maxcavator
Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2019 2:09:52 PM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 3/16/2015
Posts: 146
I am rebuilding that one, you will never know it happened. I made a new aluminum base and I am replacing affected parts with scratch built ones.
I have another set of tracks from Erick P (CCM brand).
groundedpilot
Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2019 2:35:56 PM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 8/21/2002
Posts: 404
Location: in the wild blue younder


Horrible....I feel sorry for the owner.

I checked mine today. Both the Mammoet and the normal excavator are allright.

But for how long?

I knew this kind of problem existed but on an NZG model. A CAT D4 is concerned.
Barkerjoh
Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2019 6:01:56 PM

Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 2/20/2012
Posts: 488
Location: Lil north of pittsburgh.
I may need to open that ocean traders one again I guess
Quinella
Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2019 10:20:35 PM

Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 6/18/2003
Posts: 1,744
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina
Have any of you, that have this problem with the WSI 870, contacted WSI? Surely they would step in and offer some compensation. With so many going bad, and different versions and different owners, it's obvious there is a problem. I would think WSI would help. we do have some leverage. CAW
rlmc
Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2019 10:34:33 PM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 6/14/2007
Posts: 940
Location: Eureka
I have two First Gear Mack Granites with the same problem.


Robert
maxcavator
Posted: Sunday, February 24, 2019 1:16:35 AM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 3/16/2015
Posts: 146
Quinella wrote:
Have any of you, that have this problem with the WSI 870, contacted WSI? Surely they would step in and offer some compensation. With so many going bad, and different versions and different owners, it's obvious there is a problem. I would think WSI would help. we do have some leverage. CAW


I did several years ago. I never got a reply.
Quinella
Posted: Sunday, February 24, 2019 1:24:06 AM

Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 6/18/2003
Posts: 1,744
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina
maxcavator wrote:
Quinella wrote:
Have any of you, that have this problem with the WSI 870, contacted WSI? Surely they would step in and offer some compensation. With so many going bad, and different versions and different owners, it's obvious there is a problem. I would think WSI would help. we do have some leverage. CAW


I did several years ago. I never got a reply.


Do yo still buy WSI products? Do you know who owns WSI? Perhaps Chuck could help. Is there a US rep that anyone knows? How mad are we. My Mammoet cost $550.00. If it goes bad, I will go after them to the extent possible. Everyone should too. This is absurd. I hope they follow the Forum!!!!
Quinella
Posted: Sunday, February 24, 2019 1:24:48 AM

Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 6/18/2003
Posts: 1,744
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina
Double post
Barkerjoh
Posted: Sunday, February 24, 2019 2:09:53 AM

Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 2/20/2012
Posts: 488
Location: Lil north of pittsburgh.
Quinella wrote:
maxcavator wrote:
Quinella wrote:
Have any of you, that have this problem with the WSI 870, contacted WSI? Surely they would step in and offer some compensation. With so many going bad, and different versions and different owners, it's obvious there is a problem. I would think WSI would help. we do have some leverage. CAW


I did several years ago. I never got a reply.


Do yo still buy WSI products? Do you know who owns WSI? Perhaps Chuck could help. Is there a US rep that anyone knows? How mad are we. My Mammoet cost $550.00. If it goes bad, I will go after them to the extent possible. Everyone should too. This is absurd. I hope they follow the Forum!!!!


I am in agreement with you we spend some good cash on some models. They expect payment for product we expect the same in product in return.
Campmb
Posted: Sunday, February 24, 2019 12:45:15 PM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 1/22/2013
Posts: 174
So let me get this right. Now we have self disintegrating models? How soon can we expect the manufactures to offer us warranty protection, at an affordable price of course! Then again, this could be a business opportunity for us. I could start up an insurance company with some partners. Q, Ken, Steve, and others, are you interested? By the way I have all those models and now I’m afraid to stare at them too long. Mike
Users browsing this topic
Guest


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

SoClean Theme Created by Jaben Cargman (Tiny Gecko)
Powered by Yet Another Forum.net version 1.9.1.8 (NET v2.0) - 3/29/2008
Copyright © 2003-2008 Yet Another Forum.net. All rights reserved.