DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Rare or Hard to find????? Options · View
Quinella
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2019 7:12:16 PM

Groups: Member

Are you sick of seeing sellers on Ebay referring to their items as "rare". What constitutes "rare" anyway? If the item is a limited edition, how many of that edition is required for it to be considered "rare" 100? 200?...etc. How can a new item just released be called "rare". If an item is discontinued and hard to find, is it "rare"? I say no. I think it should be called what it is, "hard to find, discontinued". I've only known a few items that I considered rare. Alan Smith made that Mammoet KW with the 2x3x2 lowbed and the truck crane. I think there were 20 made. That's rare to me. I do not think a limited edition of 100 is "rare". If a model is very old and hasn't been around for 30 or 40 years, it may be rare, but more likely "hard to find", depending on the original production numbers. How about a model that is painted in a company livery, but in small quantities? Another example is a model in foreign liveries being sold here in the US. Why would that be considered rare? One of my pet peeves is the Roadtec paving equipment pieces. A new one is released and people want to get it quickly. But they aren't rare, there just new. They're made is large quantities but some sellers call them "Rare". "Hard to find " items are usually those made in small quantities that are sold and being held by collectors. But in the end, not many of the so called "rare" items will go up in value anyway. Anyone else agree or not? CAW
Exkvate3140
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2019 8:06:42 PM

Quinella absolutely agree with you, the one seller ( ak#&$@*at) is the biggest culprit of doing this and he is one of the sellers out there who get 43 bids on the same item that another seller has with no bids , and that other seller usually a lower price. They call it shill bidding and it is frowned upon, but somehow these sellers continue to get away with it. He also uses that word rare like it’s going out of style and on items like you said, have just come to market. Then he has the nerve to insinuate there are unrepeatable eBayers selling out of there garage with so called “inferior” products, is this guy for real. EBay has to do a better job of watching these imposters. Now there is another seller on eBay who has not been on for a while and then popped up again recently. His handle is somewhere over in Europe with France on one side and Croatia on the other (ro#$&@@ly). This seller puts items up and in no time at all he has 30 bidders and a bid on every item he has on eBay. Again another culprit of shill bidding. These are the people who give eBay a bad name and warrant the saying “buyer beware”.
Quinella great topic to make people aware of the dishonest few who do sell on eBay.
Steve
Exkvate3140
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2019 10:48:43 PM

Should be unreputable buyers.
Steve
Cat345bl
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2019 1:12:56 AM

I constitute rare and hard to find being something that was produced in small numbers for a limited time. Consumers bought all of the pieces and don't put them up for sale often making them "rare" and "hard to find". In the 1/50 diecast world most items that you see listed on Ebay as being rare or hard to find are the exact opposite. Some of the most rarest 1/50 items are from manufactures that have been making diecast for decades. I do know that some of the rarest and hard to find 1/50 diecast pieces are military models by Conrad I have listed below.

Actually own this piece

1/50 Printing Press

-Mike, Collecting 1/50th Construction Diecast Since 2003.
View My Collection Here, As of 03/29/24

Brad
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2019 1:57:11 PM

I would certainly consider any model limited to 100 pieces rare. Their are models produced in larger quantities that are nearly impossible to find. In the end it’s more about demand and condition then actual number produced. I would consider the Ruehl Pitmaster Crusher MIB from the 50’s a “rare” model even though it was mass produced.
Brad
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2019 2:02:48 PM

How about it Chuck. How many of the Mammoet KW’swere produced. And how many of the second 2x3x2 beam trailer?
D3xter
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2019 2:38:05 PM

Guys like me who have been late to the 1/50 party have a tough time finding a WSI Whiteline Scania R6 8x4 730 for a reasonable price however much mass produced it must have been.
I have even been cheated by a seller who exchanged the cab of the R6 with one of the R5 with an extended cabin spoiler which fouls up with the mesh of the equipment tower. I didn't know anything better then and was only very excited to finally land a big engined R6.
Quinella
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2019 2:59:43 PM

Yes Steve. If he is the one you are speaking of, he has an item listed as "extremely rare". I e-mailed the manufacturer. They said that 5000 units were made!!! Maybe it's just "hard to find". Chuck is hoarding them!
dain555
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2019 3:08:27 PM

Don't be fooled by the "rare" moniker!!! I know for a fact that pieces like the RoadTec paving equipment (the shuttlebuggy, paver and milling machine) can be purchased for about $75 each and are brand new in the box!!!

Just remember, it was P.T. Barnum who said "There's a sucker born every minute." A lot of sellers on Ebay take advantage of these types of people by putting their stuff up for sale and than claiming it's "rare" or another one is "Mint in the box" even though it has been removed for pictures!! The words "Mint in the box" means that the factory seals are not broken and the model has not been removed for anything!!! If the seals are broken then it is NOT "mint in the box" but new or in some cases it is used!!!

Dain

I'm a kid at heart, so I will play with any model construction vehicle from 1:87 scale to 1:1 scale!!!!

Age is a state of time NOT a state of mind!!
Quinella
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2019 4:08:17 PM

dain555 wrote:
Don't be fooled by the "rare" moniker!!! I know for a fact that pieces like the RoadTec paving equipment (the shuttlebuggy, paver and milling machine) can be purchased for about $75 each and are brand new in the box!!!

Just remember, it was P.T. Barnum who said "There's a sucker born every minute." A lot of sellers on Ebay take advantage of these types of people by putting their stuff up for sale and than claiming it's "rare" or another one is "Mint in the box" even though it has been removed for pictures!! The words "Mint in the box" means that the factory seals are not broken and the model has not been removed for anything!!! If the seals are broken then it is NOT "mint in the box" but new or in some cases it is used!!!

Dain: I agree with 90% of what you say. However, how do you know if a sealed box has been "re-sealed" sometimes? And then how about a model, sealed in original box, but has factory defects when you open it? How do you prove to the seller that the model was defective when the box was opened? We can fine tune this subject til the cows come home. Based on your definition, I have sold items as "mint in box" because I had to take a picture of it for Ebay. I then should have said "New in box, opened for pictures"? I say just buy from reputable people(not Rhode Island Red) And follow Ebay's rules. There are some excellent, large quantity sellers out there. But always read their feedback closely. Anyway, I just hate getting ripped off like anyone else. Steve brings up another subject which really yanks my chain. "Shill bidding". CAW
Davie82
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2019 8:00:46 PM

I own a very rare model - Conrad CC8800. It doesn't come up for sale often, and when it does it's expensive. Until recently I also owned an LR1750, which has also become extremely rare. Unfortunately, this gives "collectors" a chance to ramp up the prices of these models and it eventually gets quite ridiculous.

I paid £750 (approx. US$1,000) for the CC8800 this time around, and at first I thought it was excessive so I stepped down, but eventually I realised how rare the model was (brand new, plus fly jib kit) so I just bit the bullet.

I've seen many sellers use the "rare" trump card on otherwise common items, and it only really bothers me if the price is unreasonably high.
Exkvate3140
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2019 12:17:40 AM

OMFNC, I have sold only two items on eBay, and they were both from Roadtec which Dain already referenced. That’s where one of those sellers gets his hard to find items from, and then takes buyers to the cleaners, paying 3 times the amount that he bought them for. By the way the items are very easy to find, and at much lower prices. Those two sellers I mentioned in my other post have a serious problem with shill bidders they must average 20-25 bidders on their items overall, and they bid the items up quickly. Who knows maybe sometime in the future those 5000 units will become rare, but I doubt it.
Steve
dain555
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2019 2:46:21 PM

The thing is with places like Ebay there will always be people in it for the money and know there are others who will want something so bad that they will pay any price for an item. I again reference the RoadTec models because I have seen the shuttlebuggy go for a high price even on our fearless leader's own auctions!! People will pay a high price for something sometimes based upon words alone just because they interpret them meaning that the item is very difficult to find and instead of doing some research they are willing to pay top dollar to have the model. This is one factor that drives prices up on things like this. I for a number of years wanted the Roadtec Shuttlebuggy but the only place I ever saw it was in the actions DHS had and as I watched the prices of it go up I figured I never have one, well I was wrong as I stumbled upon the Roadtec site and found them selling their models. I did notice that the item was back ordered but when I contacted them I found out that they had more in their warehouse and just hadn't updated the site. I wound up getting 2, one for myself and one for my significant other's collection!!!

So just to put it out there, please do some research first before buying a "rare" model from someone as it might not be as rare as they think it is. Oh and I thought an 'HO' scale locomotive was rare too but I eventually found it and at a reasonable price too and NOW it is rare because the company no longer makes it and there is no more to be found at most model train stores that I have looked into. Fortunately I do have one so I'm a lucky one!!!

Dain

I'm a kid at heart, so I will play with any model construction vehicle from 1:87 scale to 1:1 scale!!!!

RFSALES
Posted: Thursday, January 24, 2019 12:35:21 AM

I heard about the MAN/SIEMANS/GERMAN ARMY missile truck and radar truck in 1995. I asked Mr. Conrad about the trucks and he said that Conrad did not make such models. In 1996 Mr. Conrad and his wife came to
visit me and he handed me a plain white box containing the missile truck. I looked at the bottom and it had CONRAD logo and Mr. Conrad stated we did not make this model and smiled. I bought the radar truck off German EBAY and picked it up at Toy Fair and showed Mr. Conrad, he again said we did not make the model and smiled. I was advised by a German collector that the models were kept quiet due to German tax money used to pay for some of the cost.

Each collector has to determine what he considers to RARE. it is his money and he decides how to spend it.
dain555
Posted: Thursday, January 24, 2019 3:18:14 PM

RFSALES wrote:
I heard about the MAN/SIEMANS/GERMAN ARMY missile truck and radar truck in 1995. I asked Mr. Conrad about the trucks and he said that Conrad did not make such models. In 1996 Mr. Conrad and his wife came to
visit me and he handed me a plain white box containing the missile truck. I looked at the bottom and it had CONRAD logo and Mr. Conrad stated we did not make this model and smiled. I bought the radar truck off German EBAY and picked it up at Toy Fair and showed Mr. Conrad, he again said we did not make the model and smiled. I was advised by a German collector that the models were kept quiet due to German tax money used to pay for some of the cost.

Each collector has to determine what he considers to RARE. it is his money and he decides how to spend it.

Yes, you are 100% correct Roy. If I want a certain model bad enough I will track it down and undoubtedly pay the price. I did pay a little more for a Vogele paver because I only found one place that had it, it's the paver that has the different screed sizes, it's the 3000-2 paver from Conrad.

Some people think that this hobby is a great money maker and they can get what they want by just embellishing the identity of the model. The use of words like "rare", "limited edition" and "one of a kind" usually sends red flags up in my head which then makes me research the item to determine whether it is all of these. The another red flag to me is IF this model is so rare or one of a kind WHY is this person trying to sell it to begin with. Also a purchaser needs to be careful of the use of the above descriptors as what they might be looking at may not be a reputable sale but the sale of a stolen item and the seller is trying to get rid of it as quickly as possible and again will embellish it to get the deal done.

So my advice is if it sounds to good to be true it probably isn't.

Dain

Rivera2171
Posted: Thursday, January 24, 2019 3:23:05 PM

Great topic! I am also new to the 1/50 hobby and unfortunately most of the models I want are long OOP. I have gotten a hold of some TWH and WSI goodies and it wasn't cheap. Im mostly ignorant on what is rare. If I like it, I'll try to get it. On a similar topic- does anyone know if the TWH 1/50 JLG lifts ever got released? I have never seen one for sale or reviewed. Those look really nice. Also I have been hopelessly searching for the TWH/Sword service trucks for a fair price. Those are very hard to find as well...

👍
3406E
Posted: Friday, January 25, 2019 2:33:36 AM

I think what constitutes a rare model varies from person to person. Let's take the CCM 390D that came out several years back. There was 1,000 of them produced which sounds like a lot even though it's still considered a limited run. Look at the bigger picture though; tens of thousands (maybe even in the hundreds) of 1/50 scale excavators were also produced and sold while the 390D was available at retailers. So the 390D might have only accounted for 1% of the excavator sales which makes it sound very rare. To me I don't see it as a very rare model though, perhaps because for a while I saw so much of it here on the forums, youtube and FB. To people who have been collecting for years and have a nice collection already established a rare model to them might be one that's only spoken about in hushed whispers and rumored to be on a shelf in a Nebraska basement somewhere. To others who are new to the hobby or don't dig as deep... well, a model produced to a run of 1,000 might be rare.

I agree that older models that went out of production a long time ago should be listed as Hard to Find, especially if there was a lot of them made. An old, limited run model would probably still get listed as Rare in my book though.

My Facebook page: NorCalDiecastCustoms

Clifton
dain555
Posted: Friday, January 25, 2019 5:41:59 PM

I actually have a model that I would list as "hard to find" and I have only seen them for sale, actually auction, here at DHS. The model is the Gradall XL5100, truck mounted excavator. I have seen the tracked XL5200 in the auctions from time to time as well. I got mine back in 1999 from a company that has gone out of business. I didn't know it was made by Hiram models which is now a part of DHS!!

But as said, to a collector a model is only rare to them if they want one and find it hard to find. I had Matchbox, DINKY and Corgi toys as a kid that I would love to have now but those are "rare" because they are no longer made and it's hard to find someone who wants to sell them today.

Dain