DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

2 QUESTIONS Options · View
Barkerjoh
Posted: Thursday, August 16, 2018 5:04:52 PM

Groups: Member

I was recently wanting to purchase one of the new black petes that are for sale until I noticed they along with the kenworth and Volvos with sleepers contain 4 auxiliary cables on the back. I understand electric and brakes for air but I also understand a line for a turtle tank hydraulic tank but they are all the same. can one shed light as to these being made up in euro form being WSI manufactures for there market of truck.

Also has anyone ever made a side kit for the east flatbed to make it a covered wagon?

thanks in advance

jb
janh
Posted: Thursday, August 16, 2018 6:34:53 PM

The yellow and red line are both for air for the brakes.You need to have two independend brake systems for safety reasons in case one fails.So these are both for the brakes.One black line is for electricity (lights,etc.) and the fourth line is for the ABS (anti lock brake system).
Barkerjoh
Posted: Friday, August 17, 2018 12:18:59 PM

I was just wondering. I don't recall seeing in my time the added line for abs here in the states. Not sure if they did this purposely when producing or not. Thanks for the response.
dain555
Posted: Friday, August 17, 2018 1:33:05 PM

All American tractor trailer trucks have 3 lines on the tractor, one is always blue which is the service brakes for the trailer, one is red for the emergency brakes for the trailer and the 3rd is either green or black and is the electrical line for the trailer. In some cases there is another line that is black and about 3 times bigger than the other lines and it is for any trailer hydraulics such as a dump trailer or lowboy.

Also the line ends are usually different, the air lines usually have what is called "glad hands" and are designed to pull apart if the trailer unhook and pulls away from the tractor, this locks up the brakes on the trailer from the loss of air. The electric line usually has about 8 pins in it and will also pull out in the event of the trailer unhooking. The hydraulic hose is not easily disconnected as it usually has a threaded fitting because of the hydraulic pressure in the system.

Also some dump trucks here in the US have the "glad hand" coupling system for air lines for use with tag trailers that have air systems on them and some have an auxiliary hydraulic connection to facilitate the use of a dump trailer as well.

Hope this helps some as I had to learn what the systems were and how they worked when I used to work on and drive various different types of trucks!!

Dain

I'm a kid at heart, so I will play with any model construction vehicle from 1:87 scale to 1:1 scale!!!!

Age is a state of time NOT a state of mind!!