DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Where is this Hobby Going in the Internet? Is the Online Community Dead? Options · View
Dex
Posted: Sunday, January 28, 2018 2:03:32 PM

Groups: Member

Paul wrote:
Yeh, I just think the hobby has spread out to other places like Facebook.

There's still a place for this forum though and I'll post here because not everybody is on Facebook/Instagram etc so that way everybody gets to (hopefully)enjoy it.

I agree, regardless of which other media places I post, I'll always post my work here. There's good folks around here.
ITmachine
Posted: Sunday, January 28, 2018 3:52:27 PM

Agree with the others, not dying just changing. What I find most interesting is the price of secondhand models through ebay or facebook groups has PLUMMETED. Almost nothing is worth what it was only 5 years ago. Seems like all Norscot models can be bought for 50% or less of their original price. The old NZG and Conrad model values are in the basement as well. I remember when the livery Cat 966s seemed like they were all $200-300 a piece, now they are the same price as the standard version.

While the price of the newer models has steadily increased, I think its easier to be a collector now than it has in the past because of the older prices dropping. This is an expensive hobby and I think most people have a connection to the machines whether its a profession or family history. Barring those circumstances I have a hard time seeing a pedestrian buyer justifying $600 for a CCM piece. Keeping that in mind, there are NO young people getting into construction anymore, much less any other trade. I believe that has to have an effect on the hobby as well.

Personally I think the closure of the classifieds cut the traffic back immensely, and photobucket is starving the forums dry. I can remember people posting in the classifieds that had never posted on the forum before that point. I have bought many items from the classifieds, and oddly enough some of the classified listings brought me to buy direct from DHS rather than secondhand.
maxcavator
Posted: Sunday, January 28, 2018 4:08:17 PM

Buying, selling, trading is a HUGE part of any collecting forum. This forum removed that portion of the equation and we are now seeing the results...
I stopped providing free content here a while ago because of that.

Quinella
Posted: Sunday, January 28, 2018 5:03:02 PM

Seems like the consensus is the hobby has evolved, and is not dying. This Forum is much like a magazine. As you thumb through, if the pictures grab your attention, then you read the content. I have no clue about Instagram or Facebook, but from reading there, you have the ability to see the pictures AND read the content? So the Forum has suffered to a large degree because of the loss of pictures. Along the same lines, the loss of classifieds hurt the Forum. I can only imagine how much Chuck is gnawing his teeth right now. I would not want to be responsible for managing the classifieds. And then there is the pricing and value of models. I know first hand that Ebay is dying off. I'm losing my butt on fees, shipping, and too many sellers vying for the same few buyers left. I'm slowing getting out of Ebay and the hobby altogether. I keeping thinking that I can come up with new ideas to attract buyers. It works for a short time, and then flops. The older models don't sell, as written here above. The newer models are sold by everyone. I guess what I am trying to say is a perfect situation would be a place to go talk, show pictures, buy and sell, and see custom ideas and models. Someone point me in that direction and I will join. CAW
HCF
Posted: Sunday, January 28, 2018 6:56:37 PM

It's much easier to post on facebook and instagram but I feel like the forum is the best place to see some things as well. I always check here to see whats up as far as the new model reviews by cranes etc as its easier than sorting through youtube for the specific video I'm looking for. I haven't purchased a new model in probably 6 months and I did buy my last new models from DHS, however the majority of models I'm looking for now are out of production and have to be sourced elsewhere (fb, insta, eBay). I've learned a tremendous amount from folks on here and met a few in person that really influenced me to push myself with my hobby skills. I don't think the forum is dead but it does seem like a last resort for some people who are working and trying to maximize their time doing hobby things when they have a few minutes to spare. I try and post here when I have time but I usually only check in when I'm on my home computer.

-Jason
YouTube
Timberline Thinning Company
My Photostream

kcmtoys
Posted: Monday, January 29, 2018 2:24:55 PM

I agree with most of the ideas posted here. I have been here since 2003, and before the "internet" we only had toy shows and the Toy Trucker magazine (the Bible). The obnoxious "kids" were a big problem, and I assume they have migrated to social media. I also agree that a Facebook type forum would be a great thing to try, along with another classified adds section. I think the hobby is thriving quite well, but I see a few problems. New collectors have very little interest in the older models, the market was flooded with models of a particular type, (RT loaders come to mind), and I see a not very good future ahead of us. A good majority of collectors are company owners, operators, truck drivers, have jobs or are interested in construction. A majority of the new generation of Millennials have no interest in construction jobs, transportation, and certainly not collectibles. Just my opinion.Whistle

dain555
Posted: Monday, January 29, 2018 2:31:56 PM

All hobbies go thru a change believe me on that. I'm into several hobbies and I've noticed the difference from when I started them to today. I was a member of the NMRA (for those who don't know those initials it's the National Model Railroaders Association) and enjoyed it but then I moved to another place and had to get away from it as my space and money dwindled. Today I collect diecast models and plastic pit together models, I'm still limited on space so I have to choose what I purchase.

As far as the forum goes, this is my main go to place. All the members here are awesome and getting to see the custom work is great!! I can remember back to the time when we didn't have smart phones, computers and social media so that has evolved and as a result so has the way we communicate for the hobby.

I guess what I'm saying is old school but hey I just turned 60 on the 26th, but to me places like this are the best while some of the social media groups are more of a pain in the butt what with all their "trolls" and other drama queens!!!

Dain

I'm a kid at heart, so I will play with any model construction vehicle from 1:87 scale to 1:1 scale!!!!

Age is a state of time NOT a state of mind!!