DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Where is this Hobby Going in the Internet? Is the Online Community Dead? Options · View
Basketball Man
Posted: Friday, January 26, 2018 3:29:22 PM

Groups: Member

I did not want to take over Paul R's thread on Photobucket. So I'll start this one.

Where do you spend your time online related to this hobby? Is it here on on the forums, or on Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, International Forums, etc.?

Over the years this and other forums have lost popularity to the mainstream social media sites. On Facebook, Instagram, etc. Nearly 10 years ago this forum was a buzz with activity. There were 2-3 pages of active threads every day. Over the last couple years it was dwindled down to 2-3 active threads per day.

I don't find as much with other people's ideas, projects, collections, rare models, etc. Has anyone else felt like the hobby is shrinking even though there are a plethora of models available for sale? Is this hobby on the brink of extinction? Maybe this hobby is not shrinking? Your thoughts.

-Ethan
Collection 8/2/2016
For more of the Diorama and my collection: On Facebook or On YouTube
RobS
Posted: Friday, January 26, 2018 4:33:18 PM

I wonder the same. There are a few facebook groups but there isn't much "discussion", just photo posting.

Where is everyone!?!
dain555
Posted: Friday, January 26, 2018 4:37:02 PM

I don't think the hobby is shrinking, I think people's spending money is shrinking. When wages here in the US went up the prices of everything else went up as usually happens. I know for me, the model prices are somewhat of a hindrance which keeps my spending low plus after having gone thru hurricane Irma we found we needed some better personal protection which is why we spent a good amount getting licenses to conceal carry in Florida and we both have pistols for protection. Hopefully we'll be able to get back to collecting again if only some new types of stuff comes out. It is a turn off when some companies put out the same stuff over and over!! There are enough dozers, scrapers, trackhoes, haul trucks and graders made and it seems that's all some of these companies want to make. Yes cranes are nice but they are expensive but there is other kinds of equipment that they do not make which is a shame. I would like to have stuff for the New Ford trucks that would be awesome!!!

I know there are a couple groups I belong to on Facebook but this is my go to place for model info, help and discussion, too many idiots on the Facebook groups!!!

Dain

I'm a kid at heart, so I will play with any model construction vehicle from 1:87 scale to 1:1 scale!!!!

Age is a state of time NOT a state of mind!!
Campmb
Posted: Friday, January 26, 2018 4:48:54 PM

First of all I've always enjoyed your postlngs and the pictures of your dioramas Ethan. I've always liked the idea of going to central locations such as this one or the one over in the U.K. scale plant and construction. It seems easier to me rather than searching out a million different facebook or other accounts. For some reason I've never been able to wind my way through the maze of posting pictures of some of my work. Some of the other guys ( thanks Ken and Greg!) have put up pictures for me. Upsetting to me is Photobucket retroactively made those disappear. That being said, I think the hobby is as good as ever. Its great to be able to communicate with people around the world about a great hobby. Mike
Alberta Millwright
Posted: Friday, January 26, 2018 7:40:13 PM

Getting harder and harder to justify 1000.00 for model cranes.

A Millwright..... in Alberta.
ChandlerYohn
Posted: Friday, January 26, 2018 9:12:23 PM

Hi Ethan, a very solid point. The hobby seems to be stable, but it is definitely not strong like it was when TWH was in the game. They elevated the quality of models, advertising investment was at a peak and other manufacturers increased their game to match this new standard. There were many great modeling engineering feats from complex mobile cranes, massive hydraulic excavators, tower cranes, rope shovel excavators all on the high end of their weight categories. Now the majority of models are relegated to smaller trucks, small mining and contractor based equipment. New models are also subject to liveried updates with few truly new models being added into the fray. Innovations seem to be stagnant at the moment (last was really the inclusion of LEDs in Diecast Masters Cat underground mining models). Diecast Masters has been able to inject some much needed quality to the Cat lineup of models which is certainly helping to drive that segment.

No company has been able to step up and fill the void left by TWH, and their aggressive business practices matched with their ultimate demise has likely left model manufacturers more cautious and less willing to take risks with bigger, bolder and more innovative models. As the financial sector wearily grinds forward we will see if the global economies pick up, or whether we dive back into another recession. This will ultimately help to drive or deprive capital into model manufacturing.

As for model sites that I like to check in on they are: this forum, Hansebaube Forum (German based), YouTube, people I follow on Flickr, model vendors and Cranes Etc. I have found that Miniature Construction World is all but dead which is a sad loss to the community. The community is noticeably more sparse, the models are more sparse and we could be on the precipice for a big change or just holding status quo. Time will tell...

Instagram ChandlerYohn YouTube
Antho
Posted: Friday, January 26, 2018 10:15:14 PM

Take it for what it's worth, but I find it to be more of a change of platform rather than the hobby slowing down.

What I am trying to get to is that, with this forum (and forums in general) being over 10 or 15 years old, the community that grew from it is significantly older. Not necessarily everyone from that generation of collectors is as present on Facebook, Instagram, Youtube and other newer media platforms as the newer generations.

Just open up Instagram and search, let's say, "#diecast". You could go through different collector profiles for hours and still find new ones. The only difference is how much easier it is now to share pictures that have been taken seconds before uploading, and that all from the same device. For example, how many times has the question been asked on how to host images to post on the forum, and how many people gave up along the way? It is so much easier now to create an Instagram account and upload as many pictures as one wants, in a matter of a few seconds.

Also, once you start looking at "#diecast", you start to realise that the quality remains the same as it used to be on the forums back in the days. You will get the more talented, more dedicated builders, photographers, collectors, those with a higher budget, and then you'll see the more casual ones, as well as the younger newcomers that are just trying to find their spot in the community.

The community is definitely changing a little more every year, but I find it hard to say it is less present than it used to be.
Cat345bl
Posted: Friday, January 26, 2018 10:18:24 PM

I am more into this hobby now than I ever was before (been buying at least one model a month), however I do not feel obligated or motivated to share or post every model I get. That might be why people take to Facebook, Youtube, and Instagram for sharing their collection because I guess it makes it easier for them to showcase each new model that way. I just like to browse other people topics, watch Ian's, and other collectors reviews on Youtube, and reply to the occasional topic on here. I do not think the hobby is shrinking, diffidently getting larger. Plus companies like Conrad, NZG, and WSI continue to crank out more and more new models each year giving us more to choose from.

-Mike, Collecting 1/50th Construction Diecast Since 2003.
View My Collection Here, As of 09/21/23

Quinella
Posted: Friday, January 26, 2018 10:34:34 PM

Well, I had written a long response to this post, hit the "post" button and I lost connection to the net. Now I cannot remember what I wrote. Yes, I know I'm getting older, but one big reason perhaps for the possible demise of this hobby is, the "millennials". I have been reading in the press, hearing on TV, reading the net all about why the world is going through big changes, all related to millennials. They are NOT conforming to the old ways in numerous categories, not the least of which is economics. Many businesses are losing sales because of the way this group has changed their buying habits. They are simply not buying the way that previous generations have bought. They are changing the world as a result. I just read five minutes ago about the Outdoor Sporting Business is losing sales because of millennials. Housing, clothing, banking, automobiles, the list goes on and on. They seem to want less things and more time to enjoy life. And of course they are "hooked" on the web. That is one of the biggest recipients of sales from this group. We need fresh blood in this hobby and I don't see it coming. We are aging out, like many other categories. We need fresh ideas, more investment into development, better quality, and more Forums and events,even online. Other hobbyists are going through the same problems. The train guys are losing popularity. They are even selling our models now. I don't know how we can get this worm to turn, but it ain't like it was even just 10 years ago. If we lost Chuck and CCM, this hobby would collapse. First Gear is lousy, Tonkin sucks, Corgi disappeared...etc We need new people, new ideas, new money.
Dan85
Posted: Friday, January 26, 2018 11:56:12 PM

I’ve really enjoyed the diecast community on Instagram and I strongly encourage others to try Instagram as well. What l like in particular is that you elect to follow people, not groups. With a lot of these forums and Facebook groups you’ll get the same people posting over and over - people who have nothing to really contribute, people who just like to hear themselves talk. Avoiding this on Instagram is simple, don’t follow them. You can even take it a step further and block them.

Another reason I enjoy Instagram is that it’s very easy to find other people interested in heavy equipment that aren’t necessarily in this hobby. It’s great to see what others have to offer - from people or who operate equipment and show their daily activities to those who just enjoy photographing and sharing.

Daily Diesel Dose.com| All Ready Mix.com | Plowsite DOT Thread |
If your only contribution is complaining, please don't contribute!
HeavyHaul
Posted: Saturday, January 27, 2018 1:43:09 AM

I'd echo what Antho and some others have said, Instagram is a great place where the hobby is certainly thriving.

This used to be a great forum, but my personal belief is the loss of the Classifieds and the rapid influx of some very immature members (not based completely on age either) seemed to chase a lot of great contributors away from here. I know myself and some other collectors have gone from visiting 1-2x a day to 1-2x a month now.

And while DHS still has great customer service, the recent pricing on some items (Rogers 3+1 lowboy at $199.00 for example, whilst the Mack Granite and Rogers 3+1 list for $219.00) echos the greed that certain eBay members display....and sours collectors like me from spending a lot of time here.

There's lots of diecast sites out there these days, so without real incentive to come visit this site, I don't see it returning to the "glory days".
SDBOB
Posted: Saturday, January 27, 2018 10:37:17 AM

I buy a lot of diecast when I'm at a train show. Esp when prices are very good.im going to one tomorrow. Been buying Athearn Ford 1/50 trucks
I compare quality and service.I buy from our host esp Manitowoc cranes. I would like to advertise for some models I want but not sure where to do this and be protected from dishonest sellers.
cranedude07
Posted: Saturday, January 27, 2018 1:18:12 PM

I use to be on here alot, "back in the day", but over the years, as mentioned before, there are not many interesting topics posted on here anymore like there used to be, and i believe its due to the time it takes to share the photos. Now days, you can share 30 photos on facebook/instagram in seconds. On here, it would take around 20-30 minutes, as you have to first upload the photo to a hosting site, photobucket or facebook, then copy the image address, create the topic on here, click the share image button above, padte the photo address in between the code... it just takes way too much time when everything today is basically instant.

I dont think the hobby is struggling, as ive bought atleast 10 model cranes plus accessories in 2017, needless to say, that was by far my most expensive model year ever! And i see alot of collectors buying models all the time.

I have a facebook model page dedicated to posting photos of each of my models. And i set it up years ago, mainly so i could share the photos on here. But i couldnt tell you the last time i posted a topic here. There are so many facebook model groups now, its hard to keep track of, i usually try to stick to 2 or 3. That is one problem with facebook though, seems like everybody wants to make their own model group page but yet they are all just about the same. Theres basically a group for every type of model out there now it seems.

I do enjoy instagram though, its super fast and with using hashtags, you can easily search for anything your looking for and see who else enjoys that item/photo. I post on there atleast once a day just about. Mostly from work, but i do post model stuff also when i get new things or im working on something

Youtube, for me is getting to be like this forum. Its just time consuming to make a video, edit it, upload it, share it.. its been probably 2 years since my last stopmotion video.... i just dont have the time anymore to sit down and make them like i use to. My more recent videos have been of jobs at work or the model unboxings feom last year. Havent done a model review in who knows how long..

As for new models, i think the manufacturers just want to produce something thats quick, and cheap. Seems like they dont want to spend the money on a very nice model, "cough cough 31000". Weiss brothers have done a fantastic job with the mlcs and hopefully we see more from them, but who knows now with manitowoc abandoning ship and moving to PA. Manitowoc might not want to invest in models again at the moment with the move going on. Wish the manufacturers would listen to collectors, they would know what to produce, ie ltm1750 or lr11000. Seems that gets brought up almost every month in the facebook groups. They could even save some money reproduce 8800 boom extensions, there are alot of newer collectors that have been buying up 8800s and wanting extensions. Seeing as most were bought up years ago from the guys across the pond lol.
Hopefully we see some nice models next week at toy fair

I still enjoy this hobby/addiction, but as we are getting older, we just lose the time we had back in the day. Just part of life.

Brandon

my youtube channel
My Facebook Page
Kyllerontherocks
Posted: Saturday, January 27, 2018 2:16:55 PM

While I agree with the decrease in forum activity, I certainly don't think the hobby is dying. I, like many on here, have been around and seen the changes over the past decade. Some good, some bad. People come, people go. Some move on to other things, others get busy and don't have the time. In college, I was far more active on here. I had the time. Enter adult life and free time slips away. As for new people entering the hobby, at least the younger ones, they have grown up only knowing Facebook, Instagram, etc. Many live their daily lives on social media. It is what they know, and what they do. As with anything, the ways of communication evolve over time, whether we like it or not. That being said, people and businesses, etc. have choices to make... Evolve with, or stay the same. We are in a time of smartphones and apps. I'd take a gambling bet that if DHS created their own social media app forum type thing, we'd be seeing more pictures and such as they could be uploaded right from a phone.

Kyle C
Antho
Posted: Saturday, January 27, 2018 4:19:22 PM

Kyllerontherocks wrote:
I'd take a gambling bet that if DHS created their own social media app forum type thing, we'd be seeing more pictures and such as they could be uploaded right from a phone.

You know what, you might be on to something here...
Kyllerontherocks
Posted: Sunday, January 28, 2018 2:17:33 AM

It would be nice. I watch the forums, but don't share much anymore, for the simple fact of the time required to share pictures. I think it'd be a great idea.

Kyle C
3406E
Posted: Sunday, January 28, 2018 4:16:49 AM

I tend to do most of my model related stuff on Facebook but I do still check in here once a day to see what's been posted. Half of the topics I view on here are just out of curiosity, I'm just browsing with no intent to join the discussion. When someone posts pictures of a project they've been working on I don't always feel it's necessary to comment, especially if 5 or 6 people already told them how good it looks. Unless they used a technique or it's something that really interests me I'll just admire the work and go on about my business. That's where the Like feature on a lot of social media comes in handy, it's a quick and easy way for you to show someone you like their work. When I first started sharing my work online I'd post updates all over, my model FB page, several FB groups and post pics here. As the audience on my page grew I realized that a lot of the same people were seeing the same updates just in different locations so it seemed pointless to continue to do that. With all the apps available for social media sites it's more convenient for people to post pictures and discussions there instead of here. I don't think it's so much the online modeling community that's going extinct I think it's the online forum in general. There are still a lot of them around for various things but they're not near as popular as they were 10-15 years ago. With 3D printing gaining popularity I think that has contributed to the decrease in some of the discussion regarding custom building. ex: "That's cool, did you build it?" "I got it off shapeways." "Oh ok, I'll check it out." There's still a lot of scratch building going on and some amazing projects with a plenty of people talking about it but it seems to be starting to shift from "how was it built" to "where was it bought". As technology continues to advance the online community will continue to evolve but I don't think the hobby of collecting and/or building models will die off. I got into this for my own enjoyment and it's nice to be able to share my work with other people but even if I couldn't I would still continue to do what I do.

My Facebook page: NorCalDiecastCustoms

Clifton
Paul R
Posted: Sunday, January 28, 2018 9:10:34 AM

Ethan,
This is a good thread with some interesting points.

My opinion is that the hobby is not dying but has moved to other media has as been echoed already by others. Brandon said the are many FB groups that are similar, but find a good one and there is evidence that the hobby is thriving. I have also found that a lot of discussions go on with FB messenger behind the scenes so to speak. Instagram is something I've not really used much but maybe I'll have to reinvestigate this.

One thing I disagree with is Brandon's comment on manufactures prefer to produce cheap models or not listening to collectors. I do not consider WSI models to b cheap and certainly not YCC. Given the recent price tag of the Sarens LR1600, it is also not cheap. But you also have to remember that manufacturers such as WSI, NZG, Weiss, YCC etc.... do not have a 'carte Blanche' to produce what they want. Licensing agreements have to be signed first, and no matter what collectors want or think, if the OEM doesn't agree then it won't be made. Whilst it's been a few months since I've heard anything this was certainly the case with the LTM 1750.

Paul R
Paul
Posted: Sunday, January 28, 2018 10:49:27 AM

Yeh, I just think the hobby has spread out to other places like Facebook.

There's still a place for this forum though and I post here because not everybody is on Facebook/Instagram etc so that way everybody gets to (hopefully)enjoy it.

I was disheartened to see the new Sarens LR1600 come in at £700/$990.

I appreciate we can't expect the prices to be the same as 10 years ago but $990 is Sad

Scania V8. The best sounding truck in the world.

Alberta Millwright
Posted: Sunday, January 28, 2018 1:41:15 PM

Yea I was going to pick that sarens up but at that price I just can't justify it. Too bad really.

A Millwright..... in Alberta.