DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Komatsu WS23-1 scraper ? Options · View
FiatAllisHD41
Posted: Tuesday, November 21, 2017 7:53:51 PM
Groups: Member

Stumbled across a video of an old Komatsu scraper and wondered why Komatsu stopped manufacturing them ?

Did it have anything to do with Caterpillar ?

“A tiger doesn't lose sleep over the opinion of sheep.” ― Shahir Zag

" An educated mind learns from his mistakes and corrects them. A dolt, on the other hand, lashes out and continues showing his ignorance."
-Unknown

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”― Arthur C. Clarke

"Anti-social behavior is a trait of intelligence in a world full of conformists" - Nikola Tesla

" If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur ". Paul Neal "Red" Adair {Wild Well Firefighter for those who live under rocks}

Mr. Scholz
Posted: Tuesday, November 21, 2017 8:48:21 PM

Hi Fiat-Allis HD41,

I could amgine it had to do with the dropping sales figures of scrapers in general back in the 80s. I never saw many Komatsu scrapers on pictures surfing through the internet so I guess they were no big seller for Komatsu ever. And as excavator/artics took over the job scrapers used to handle until the end of the 70s - and many big projects like highways etc. were done - Komatsu just lost their market share. The last pieces of this cake were in firm hands of Cat and Terex.

Just a guess, though.

I talked to a dozer operator last year, he worked in the open pit coal mines of the former GDR/eastern Germany. He had the luck to operate the only one D8N back then in the GDR. They used exactly the WS23-1 as it was much cheaper and easier to buy Komatsus over Cats.

Cheers,
Max
JoeE
Posted: Wednesday, November 22, 2017 7:27:03 AM

While i've run a lot of pans over the years i've never run any Komatsu.
A foreman i worked with back in the 80's told me one of the contractors we worked for had a couple new ones on trial. I always remember him saying how they had ejector problems and that the ejector would make contact with the transmission. One or both had a hole punched in it.

We rally round the family, with a pocket full of shells.....
FiatAllisHD41
Posted: Wednesday, November 22, 2017 8:42:25 PM

Thank you Max & JoeE !

“A tiger doesn't lose sleep over the opinion of sheep.” ― Shahir Zag

" An educated mind learns from his mistakes and corrects them. A dolt, on the other hand, lashes out and continues showing his ignorance."
-Unknown

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”― Arthur C. Clarke

"Anti-social behavior is a trait of intelligence in a world full of conformists" - Nikola Tesla

" If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur ". Paul Neal "Red" Adair {Wild Well Firefighter for those who live under rocks}