DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Sword East Flatbed for Heavy Haul Options · View
RobS
Posted: Wednesday, November 08, 2017 12:47:41 PM
Groups: Member

Hey all, I'm planning on "merging" a couple of Sword East flatbeds to create a 4 axle heavy hauler. I think I've seen this done before but couldn't find anything. Anyone try it? If it goes well, I'd love to have a 4 axle, mid top sleeper cab to pull it. Any chance a WSI sleeper cab will sit right down on a 4 axle chassis?

Thanks in advance.

Rob
GuyM
Posted: Wednesday, November 08, 2017 4:41:49 PM

Hello Robs,

Here-below an East Trailer MMX5 5-axle flatbed, made from Sword bits and pieces, carrying home-made AK Steel bars (3 HEX 15": 14.25T + 3 RD 12": 9.14T + 3 SQ 14": 20.60T) and towed by a modified Norscot Kenworth T2000:

I hope it helps.
Guy
RobS
Posted: Thursday, November 09, 2017 12:13:02 AM

Yeah, that's pretty sweet and may be the one I saw before. Did you do the build? Extra axles from donor flatbeds? If so, do they come off easily? My donor comes tomorrow night, I'll have my chance to play!

Thanks for the pics, looks great!

Rob
Cubanb343
Posted: Thursday, November 09, 2017 2:13:44 AM

Chuck was selling extra axles from the east dump trailer on DHS awhile back. I bought a couple. I also have a couple of mid height sleeper kits from ASAM if you’re interested.
GuyM
Posted: Thursday, November 09, 2017 4:49:08 AM

RobS,

I bought the semi second-hand from Germany. Its previous owner had built it with 6 axles, the 4 extra ones being simply glued under the frame (a sort of ballastrailer with 6 fixed axles):

I removed all axles and got rid off the bed camber (I wanted it flat when loaded, the most difficult part of the job, I should say) and placed back 5 axles, based on an East Trailers MMX5 picture I had:

Cheers.
Guy
RobS
Posted: Wednesday, November 15, 2017 12:51:56 PM

Hey all, I'm moving forward. Tore apart one flatbed and have another coming soon. I'm going for the 5 axle MMX5 as GuyM has done. Question though: What is the best way to re-assemble the bits? I'm thinking 5 minute epoxy but open to suggestions. I want it to be sturdy, but not expecting quite the robustness of a factory built model. I have experience with plastic models and soldering brass but not much with die-cast.

Thanks,

Rob