DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Complete newbie to construction diecast! Where (if possible) to buy YCC's Liebherr LTM 1800 Schmidba Options · View
Uzair
Posted: Sunday, September 24, 2017 12:17:18 AM

Groups: Member

Howdy folks!

First, a bit of introduction. I'm in my mid-thirties, married with a precocious toddler who takes up most of my time and energy outside work Teeth

I've been a diecast collector for a few years now, focusing mainly on 1:18 motorsports car models. Currently I have about 250 of these, and over time I find myself gravitating towards buying only the most detailed metal models available, primarily from the likes of CMC and Exoto. These models have parts count between 1000 and 2500, and have superb paint and tampo-printed graphics, no decals. In the last 6 months I also got a bit into 1:72 and 1:35 diecast warplanes, and have about 40 of those now. However since nearly the start of my race car model collecting I have been curious about construction diecast, cranes in particular. I almost bought a couple back in 2015 but space reasons meant I decided not to, back then. Recently having seen about a hundred Cranes Etc videos and browsing these forums I can't resist the lure of the big cranes and am going to take the plunge Wink

What I really want to avoid is the kind of mistakes I made with my car collecting, where early on I bought a lot of models that I regretted later. Space limitations mean that in any of the diecast areas (cars, planes, or now construction) I can only have a few models, which means I want the best ones only. In terms of subject matter I am primarily interested in all manner of cranes, especially mobile cranes and crawler cranes, and would like to add a few excavators and graders. There are four important general factors for me personally that I would like to know about construction models that I buy:

* casting detail: The sharper the metal castings (or stampings, etc) the better! Think

* metal to plastic ratio: I generally strongly dislike plastic where it is not supposed to be. Tyres should be rubber of course, and the windscreens/glass elements should be clear plastic. However I believe that any parts which are metal on the real thing should be metal on the model also, especially so since we are talking heavy construction equipment which would never use plastic for stressed elements in the real machine.

* paint: should be smooth, flat, and correctly applied with primer etc.

* graphics: by this I mean the logos and text applied to the model. This is the one piece of info I find lacking on Cranes Etc reviews. He just says "graphics are sharp". From a lot of the videos it looks like the construction diecast manufacturers use decals. Personally I vastly prefer tampo graphics, which done well come across as much better than decals, and are far more robust. On premium models I personally believe decals have a place only on curved surfaces where tampo application would be impossible.

So, which model manufacturers would you guys recommend given the above criteria? I have a vague idea about the better ones, CCM of course are the best, but their unusual 1:48 scale puts me off buying their models. In person how much better are CCM models compared to the other good manufacturers? Are their brass models really much sharper, and are their diecast models also better than the rest of the industry?

I believe apart from CCM WSI are really good, followed by NZG. I LOVE Diecast Masters' tin packaging Applause Applause , but the models themselves don't seem to be the best, with a little too much plastic and not very sharp metal parts.

So, if you fine folk can let me know which manufacturers I should target and of the currently available crane models which ones are considered the best I will be very grateful. Furthermore I am quite curious if there is any manufacturer which doesn't use decals at all, or very sparingly, and instead applies tampos for the graphics on their models. I hope there are at least a couple such manus for cranes Pray

Thanks Cool

WCollins
Posted: Sunday, September 24, 2017 5:03:39 AM

Welcome to the hobby, I can't really add too much to what cranes you'd want to get since I'm more into the dirt stuff, But I can answer some of your questions when it comest to detail and what not.

For Casting Detail Generally WSI, NZG, CCM, Conrad, YCC, First Gear, Universal Hobbies and what was formerly TWH gave you excellent castings while Ertl, Norscot and Diecast Masters are lacking.

As for Plastic to metal ratio, you'd want to stay away from most Universal Hobbies pieces since they are just about all plastic. If you want a mostly metal model Conrad, NZG, Wiess and Diecast Masters would be the ones to go to. Other than that it's hit and miss when it comes to plastic usage since to capture the detail in theses smaller scales plastic is used in place of metal on many models.

Paint, Most manufactures have pretty good paint quality although every brand will inevitably have models with paint issues on occasion, but they mostly pop up in the lower end brands like Norscot, Ertl, Joal and Ros.

As for graphics, most manufactures use tampo printed graphics, although some WSI and (I believe) Most YCC models use decals, and Joal uses stickers on a lot of their older models.

Another area which is important is build quality, With some of these manufactures it's hit and miss, Conrad pieces are built like a bank vault, but WSI pieces are much more fragile. In addition some manufactures have been having quality control issues lately, like CCM and WSI and there are others who always had Q/C issues like ROS and Norscot and Modelline models.

CCM is a good model, When it comes to their diecast pieces they're on par with NZG i'd say, As for their brass pieces the newer ones have a amazing amount of detail, but you do pay for them though. But the older brass pieces are a bit lacking by todays standards.

Basically theres usually trade off with most of these models, where you can get excellent detail but pay for it with the amount of plastic used in certain areas to capture the detail, or have a almost completely metal model but you might loose some of that detail. But there are exceptions with quite a few models.

I know I'm skipping over a lot of model manufactures, and others I just can't speak for since I don't have much knowledge on their products. I'm just trying to give you a general idea of the cluster which is diecast construction.

-William
Jack of all trades, Master of none.
Miniature Construction Models
Paul R
Posted: Sunday, September 24, 2017 11:07:54 AM

Hi,
I'm going to to keep it to cranes as that is what you seem to be gravitating towards and are also what I collect and have several of from various manufacturers.

Conrad - solid built and mostly metal but lack finer details. Do use printed graphics.

NZG - solid built and some finer details than Conrad. Graphics are printed. NZG seem to povide the best balance in terms of price, quality and detail.

WSI - usually very good details but do use plastic more than NZG or Conrad. For the most part they've balanced the use of plastic quite well. They have had QC issues in the past and still do, though not as bad these days.

Weiss Bros - don't have one of their models but I hear good things about the recent Manitowoc models they've made.

YCC Models - the ultimate in detail and accuracy compared to the 1:1 versions. They are highly detailed and therefore fragile. Price comes at a premium though but most of their models hold their value very well.

Hope this helps!

Paul R
dain555
Posted: Sunday, September 24, 2017 11:30:53 AM

When it comes to crane models NZG and Conrad are the best made with NZG being toward the top, my reason is that they use brass bolts and/or steel pins for any boom connections. If you get any good size Conrad crane you might want to stock up on some brass bolts and nuts to replace the plastic pins they use, oh and watch for their solid pulley type sheaves. I'm not familiar with the Weiss Bros models but they look really great as I'm thinking they are taking over where TWH left off. WSI are good but as stated are very fragile, I like to operate my "equipment" so I stick with the tougher stuff.

Another thing you need to consider too is replacement parts, NZG and Conrad are the best with replacing parts that get or are damaged, I had a couple NZG models that I lost a couple parts off of and another that a piece broken on and they replaced all the parts and I had had these models for better than a year, all they needed was a model number and what part you need.

Welcome to the forum and to the hobby!! Also feel free to ask anything, nothing about this hobby is ever a given and we have many here who are from various other hobbies as well. I am also a model railroader and a plastic model builder, I have also done some good repairs with my diecast equipment too!!!

Dain

I'm a kid at heart, so I will play with any model construction vehicle from 1:87 scale to 1:1 scale!!!!

Age is a state of time NOT a state of mind!!
Uzair
Posted: Sunday, September 24, 2017 8:00:15 PM

Thank you WCollins, Paul R, and dain555 for your kind replies. I think the consensus is that NZG are the best all round choice, with Conrad also being good. YCC seem to be the best but a bit fragile, which is fine by me. I can take good care of the models as long as they arrive in one piece. However is it true that "Most YCC models use decals"? That would be a bummer and would put me off buying more than one or two of their models.

Once again thank you for your detailed replies. I will soon start cataloging available models and might ask here again about the models I shortlist for first purchase.

Cheers Smiley
modelmaniac
Posted: Monday, September 25, 2017 7:32:39 AM

Paul R wrote:
Hi,
I'm going to to keep it to cranes as that is what you seem to be gravitating towards and are also what I collect and have several of from various manufacturers.

Conrad - solid built and mostly metal but lack finer details. Do use printed graphics.

NZG - solid built and some finer details than Conrad. Graphics are printed. NZG seem to povide the best balance in terms of price, quality and detail.

WSI - usually very good details but do use plastic more than NZG or Conrad. For the most part they've balanced the use of plastic quite well. They have had QC issues in the past and still do, though not as bad these days.

Weiss Bros - don't have one of their models but I hear good things about the recent Manitowoc models they've made.

YCC Models - the ultimate in detail and accuracy compared to the 1:1 versions. They are highly detailed and therefore fragile. Price comes at a premium though but most of their models hold their value very well.

Hope this helps!

Paul R

Paul has definitely hit the nail on the head here.I have been collecting for 20+years,and can only agree.Conrad always impress me with their solid build quality,but NZG beat them with details.I think some manufacturers are exclusive to the countries they are produced in.So it may cost quite a lot in import costs.I learnt this when I purchased some CCM models,from America.The items/models where first class,in terms of quality,but I paid almost the cost again just to get them in the country!You will quickly be pleased with the functions and look of any modern construction model.
Uzair
Posted: Tuesday, September 26, 2017 9:59:09 PM

So thanks to all your kind replies I have settled on getting the YCC Liebherr LTM 1800 Mobile Crane in Schmidbauer livery as my first diecast construction model. Of course the decision is probably a hopeless one since I don't see it available anywhere. Is the model totally sold out? And in general what stores would you guys recommend for those of us in Europe?
Paul R
Posted: Wednesday, September 27, 2017 5:29:14 AM

In all honesty you'll be lucky find one now, unless 2nd hand.

Standard version should be out later in the year.

Paul R
Uzair
Posted: Wednesday, September 27, 2017 10:24:22 PM

Paul R wrote:
In all honesty you'll be lucky find one now, unless 2nd hand.

Standard version should be out later in the year.

Paul R

Hmmm ok. Just to be clear by Standard version do you mean the plain (no livery) crane? Or is there a chance the Schmidbauer will be done again?

And would you happen to know Paul if the Schmidbauer LTM 1800 uses tampos (printed graphics) or decals?
Paul R
Posted: Thursday, September 28, 2017 6:44:11 AM

Yes I mean the plain version.

Schmidbauer won't be done again but I'm sure other, new liveries will be.

I'd have to check when I get home but I think they're decals.

Paul R
gbarnewall
Posted: Thursday, September 28, 2017 6:37:58 PM

Just to also add that CCM have made(not sure if this is an ongoing venture)high quality brass cranes,expect to pay well into 4 figures for these though,I don't have any myself,there are many collectors here who do own a brass CCM item or more,hopefully they can chime in about them,

Back on planet Earth YCC would be the dogs knees when it comes to detailing,sharpness in casting,paint finish etc,they are more expensive than WSI,IMC and NZG but in reality not a whole lot more for what you get over the midfield manufacturers,

I'd go with NZG next,they don't have as big a portfolio with model cranes as Conrad but the last few they have made are extremely good,LR1600,LTM11200 and the little P&H 670,the new LTM1250 should be a cracker

I'd bunch IMC,WSI and Conrad in the same group as having a downfall of some kind,while IMC and WSI are very similar,concentrating on detail and accuracy my Demag ac250 from IMC suffered some QC issues also broken parts upon opening-a detail v's packaging issue,WSI have suffered the same in the past,Conrad aim heavily at sturdy robustness,but suffer from the detailing that IMC or WSI offer

I can't think of an earth moving model manufacturer equivilant to YCC, CCM have made some cracking models in the past but they have also made some lemons too,there was a recent spat of models arriving with small detail parts loose in the box,the CCM solely make Caterpillar models,

TMC have made some crisp looking Hitachi excavators,maybe someone can offer their experience with these,
NZG do a good job also offering a high balance on detailing,crispness of casting and paint etc for the price,
WSI have made a couple of machines too,most recently the PR776 which is a very well finished model

The only manufacturer making a range of graders is Diecast Masters,these took over from Norscot/Tonkin the fore making models more on the toy side for many years previously,Tonlin stepped in and they upped their game but not quite enough,then DM stepped in and their new models have made the biggest improvement over other manufacturers, relevant to what they were a few years ago,

I dont know of any other manufacturers other than CCM brass or YCC who compare to CMC,BBR or Exoto in the world of 1/18,I started off similar to yourself,1/18 cars then 1/50 machines and not O scale US trains have crept in

Why is "phonetically" spelt with a "ph"?

... It's better to be silent and thought a fool, then to speak up and remove all doubt

The complex of Newgrange was originally built between c. 3100 and 2900 BC,[2] meaning that it's aproximately 5,000 years old. According to Carbon-14 dates,[3] it is more than 500 years older than the Great Pyramid of Giza in Egypt, and predates Stonehenge by about 1,000 years.

Alberta Millwright
Posted: Thursday, September 28, 2017 6:59:59 PM

Yea I would jump on those NZG ltm 11200's asap as they seem to be slowing down the production now. I would also try and get the NZG LR 1600/s in a livery while you can because they have made no more announcements for any more and they are a great model!

A Millwright..... in Alberta.
Uzair
Posted: Saturday, September 30, 2017 5:53:34 AM

Thanks guys for the additional replies Smiley I need some help now with buying my first models.

Having gone through the entire "1:50th Cranes by Paul R" thread and seen all the cranes, I really two of them but alas they are both sold out and only available from a single eBay seller in Germany who is asking a huge amount for them, especially the LTM 1800. The two models are this YCC Models LTM 1800 "Schmidbauer" and the WSI "Nordic Crane" LTM 1350-6.1. I just love the liveries on both of them. The eBay listing prices are:

LTM 1800 "Schmidbauer" for £1,385 (!!) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/352139105234
LTM 1350-6.1 "Nordic Crane" for £482 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/352003674840

So, first of all what were the prices on these models when they were easily available? I suspect the LTM 1350 would have been selling for about £350, and the LTM 1800 for no more than £800. But these are pure guesses from me, so if someone here can confirm that will help me establish a baseline with which to negotiate with the seller.

The second question remains about the presence of decals on both of these models. So if owners of these models can please check when you get the chance that will help me decide on whether to spend the massive sums of money on my first crane models purchases. After all the main differentiator of the LTM 1800 Schmidbauer over the plain liveried version is the graphics, and if they are decals I can more easily pass up on them.

gbarnewall wrote:
Just to also add that CCM have made(not sure if this is an ongoing venture)high quality brass cranes,expect to pay well into 4 figures for these though,I don't have any myself,there are many collectors here who do own a brass CCM item or more,hopefully they can chime in about them,

Back on planet Earth YCC would be the dogs knees when it comes to detailing,sharpness in casting,paint finish etc,they are more expensive than WSI,IMC and NZG but in reality not a whole lot more for what you get over the midfield manufacturers,

I'd go with NZG next,they don't have as big a portfolio with model cranes as Conrad but the last few they have made are extremely good,LR1600,LTM11200 and the little P&H 670,the new LTM1250 should be a cracker

I'd bunch IMC,WSI and Conrad in the same group as having a downfall of some kind,while IMC and WSI are very similar,concentrating on detail and accuracy my Demag ac250 from IMC suffered some QC issues also broken parts upon opening-a detail v's packaging issue,WSI have suffered the same in the past,Conrad aim heavily at sturdy robustness,but suffer from the detailing that IMC or WSI offer

I can't think of an earth moving model manufacturer equivilant to YCC, CCM have made some cracking models in the past but they have also made some lemons too,there was a recent spat of models arriving with small detail parts loose in the box,the CCM solely make Caterpillar models,

TMC have made some crisp looking Hitachi excavators,maybe someone can offer their experience with these,
NZG do a good job also offering a high balance on detailing,crispness of casting and paint etc for the price,
WSI have made a couple of machines too,most recently the PR776 which is a very well finished model

The only manufacturer making a range of graders is Diecast Masters,these took over from Norscot/Tonkin the fore making models more on the toy side for many years previously,Tonlin stepped in and they upped their game but not quite enough,then DM stepped in and their new models have made the biggest improvement over other manufacturers, relevant to what they were a few years ago,

I dont know of any other manufacturers other than CCM brass or YCC who compare to CMC,BBR or Exoto in the world of 1/18,I started off similar to yourself,1/18 cars then 1/50 machines and not O scale US trains have crept in

From doing research these are my own conclusions also, with CCM's brass models being the absolute best but of course costing a bomb and then some! I don't like however that their scale of 1/48 is out of sync with the industry standard 1/50. Furthermore I am mainly interested in mobile and crawler cranes and CCM don't have anything interesting, so YCC, NZG, and WSI are the main manufacturers I am interested in. YCC are the clear winners in this, but what concerns me is if they are using decals then I would rather not spend the massive sums involved in buying the largest YCC cranes (LTM 1800). After this are you sure NZG are better than WSI? Looking at the photos and reading the reviews it looks like WSI are slightly sharper and more detailed than NZG, but might be using more plastic.

Thanks also for the details on the excavators and graders! It looks like I'll be sticking with NZG and WSI for these as well, and Diecast Masters for graders. I do love their tin boxes so I wouldn't mind buying from them, hopefully the models are not too plastic.

Alberta Millwright wrote:
Yea I would jump on those NZG ltm 11200's asap as they seem to be slowing down the production now. I would also try and get the NZG LR 1600/s in a livery while you can because they have made no more announcements for any more and they are a great model!

I was thinking of getting WSI's models as my first mobile cranes, but you've given me second thoughts now Smiley How exactly does NZG's LTM11200-9.1 compare to WSI's LTM 1500-8.1 and LTM 1350-6.1 models?
gbarnewall
Posted: Saturday, September 30, 2017 10:07:10 AM

NZG are overall better than WSI and IMC, WSI might top them in terms of detail but there has been some horror stories with some of WSI's LTM1500's the McNallys versions chassis casting suffered from "banana-itis" with a visible bend,meaning that axles at each end of the crane sit off the ground,my WSI hitachi zx870 rocks slightly on its undercarriage as there is a slight twist in that too,its this Russian roulette factor with WSI that i'd put NZG above them

The ltm11200's have a built to last feel,very very heavy,sturdy and robust,the WSI ltm1500 has a much lighter feel,this can be a deciding factor for some as some people take heavy as a a quality product over light,

One thing I always thought of as funny was the sheeves in boom heads and hook blocks, effectively plastic on the real machine but in recent years model manufacturers are putting metal sheeves in boom heads and block,some collectors give out about plastic being used on a model where the part is metal on the real machine yet here is the opposite

Why is "phonetically" spelt with a "ph"?

... It's better to be silent and thought a fool, then to speak up and remove all doubt

The complex of Newgrange was originally built between c. 3100 and 2900 BC,[2] meaning that it's aproximately 5,000 years old. According to Carbon-14 dates,[3] it is more than 500 years older than the Great Pyramid of Giza in Egypt, and predates Stonehenge by about 1,000 years.

Alberta Millwright
Posted: Saturday, September 30, 2017 1:51:33 PM

In my opinion, the NZG LTM 11200 is a bigger and more impressive model than the 1500. It comes with more attachments and can be displayed in a ton of different positions. It gets a lot more impressive with both the luffing jib attachment and extension kits. The wheels seem to be done better with NZG as they are stiff and robust. One of my favorite liveries of the 11200 is in "Denzai". However the detail on the 1500 is a little better but the model is more fragile.

A Millwright..... in Alberta.
Paul R
Posted: Saturday, September 30, 2017 7:37:34 PM

Uzair,
Schmidbauer was about £800 new

Nordic was £280.

Paul R
RMS Models
Posted: Sunday, October 01, 2017 9:29:27 AM

Uzair,

Curious, why the passionate dislike of decals?
Uzair
Posted: Sunday, October 01, 2017 12:26:05 PM

gbarnewall wrote:
NZG are overall better than WSI and IMC, WSI might top them in terms of detail but there has been some horror stories with some of WSI's LTM1500's the McNallys versions chassis casting suffered from "banana-itis" with a visible bend,meaning that axles at each end of the crane sit off the ground,my WSI hitachi zx870 rocks slightly on its undercarriage as there is a slight twist in that too,its this Russian roulette factor with WSI that i'd put NZG above them

The ltm11200's have a built to last feel,very very heavy,sturdy and robust,the WSI ltm1500 has a much lighter feel,this can be a deciding factor for some as some people take heavy as a a quality product over light,

One thing I always thought of as funny was the sheeves in boom heads and hook blocks, effectively plastic on the real machine but in recent years model manufacturers are putting metal sheeves in boom heads and block,some collectors give out about plastic being used on a model where the part is metal on the real machine yet here is the opposite

Alberta Millwright wrote:
In my opinion, the NZG LTM 11200 is a bigger and more impressive model than the 1500. It comes with more attachments and can be displayed in a ton of different positions. It gets a lot more impressive with both the luffing jib attachment and extension kits. The wheels seem to be done better with NZG as they are stiff and robust. One of my favorite liveries of the 11200 is in "Denzai". However the detail on the 1500 is a little better but the model is more fragile.

Great input guys, now I am definitely going for the NZG LTM 11200-9.1 over the WSI LTM 1350 or 1500, especially as the one I am interested in (Nordic Crane 1350) is now sold out and overpriced on eBay.

Paul R wrote:
Uzair,
Schmidbauer was about £800 new

Nordic was £280.

Paul R

Thank you for the "normal" prices Paul Smiley

RMS Models wrote:
Uzair,

Curious, why the passionate dislike of decals?

Ah yes, great question Think Coming from 1:18 diecast model car collecting, I initially did not care about decals either. In fact a lot of the F1 models that I bought (and loved) almost exclusively had decals. On curved surfaces decals are often the only easy solution for graphics. However decals have some obvious shortcomings compared to printed (tampo) graphics. First and foremost is the question of durability. A decal is akin to a sticker, and can peel off, crack, and yellow with age. Of course a layer of clearcoat can protect decals but this is not the optimal solution especially for matte painted models. Secondly, at some angles the transparent backing layer on a decal can be visible. On cheap models this may be acceptable, but on a premium model I personally would hate to have this happen.

Lastly, from a purely subjective and personal perspective, I can't stomach that a premium model with otherwise superb design and construction should use what are effectively stickers for graphics if tampos would have been possible. Certainly in the 1:18 diecast world all good diecast models use tampos only (from the likes of CMC, Exoto, Autoart). The high end resin models on the other hand (Spark, BBR, MR, etc) use decals because pressing up a tampo pad properly on a soft plastic body is just not possible. In 1:72 and 1:48 military warplane diecast models also manufacturers such as Hobby Master and Century Wings proudly proclaim "printed graphics only" because using decals is a cheap shortcut. Thus when I consider expensive construction models from NZG and YCC I would much rather that any graphics were printed rather than decals. Not meaning to sound like a snob, but I wouldn't want the "Schmidbauer KG" graphics on a £1000 LTM 1800 (which I paid extra for precisely to have the logo on the crane) deteriorate after some years.

As an example from construction diecast of what I mean, from Crane's etc review of YCC Gottwald AMK 1000 Mobile Crane - Riga Mainz (modern)

Cranes Etc wrote:

The shape of the boom with its corrugations provides a particular challenge to apply the graphics, and a couple of the logos were not perfect. Again YCC has recognised the likelihood of the issue and provides spare graphics transfers with the model to enable the owner to make repairs. The boom corners of the inner sections are also likely to be rubbed by extending and retracting the boom and more spare transfers are provided for this.

I think printing would have been possible on such corrugated sections. As evidence check out Corgi's 1:72 model of the Junkers Ju 52 in its various schemes. It has corrugated skin on the fuselage and wings, and yet Corgi could apply paint and graphics to the surfaces.
CmdrByron
Posted: Monday, October 02, 2017 11:22:06 AM

As someone else who is relatively "new" (~12 months) to the diecast crane scene (NZG 732 and 843, LTM11200-9.1 and LR1600/R2, respectively), with exposure to Conrad, WSI and YCC through other collectors, and prior experience with model planes, ships and cars, I'd like to offer a few points:

- Model quality cannot be exclusively represented by internet images/videos. I remain impressed with the level of detail and functionality NZG has achieved in both of the models I own.

- Unlike model cars, planes and trains, model cranes (especially those seeking to provide a level of functionality) must strike an often precarious balance between detail and practicality. As much as I am a fan of fidelity in models, I do appreciate that compromises have to be made in order to offer functionality. Case-in-point, the boom on the LTM11200-9.1 does not "faithfully" recreate the profile found on the real machine. However, the first time you rig it up with full boom extension (2 m, the real thing is 100m!), you will appreciate the decision made to forsake a little bit of fidelity for sturdiness, without an exorbitant increase in cost (for a stiffer/lighter material).

- Level of detail becomes less important when you consider the typical "viewing distance". As these particular cranes are quite large in any setup, they lend themselves to a viewing distance further than other, smaller models. Personally, I find I spend more time admiring my two cranes from a further distance than I ever did any other models (ships/planes/cars/trains). Thus, when you consider the scale and size, you may realize that some details are not even perceptible at such distances ;)

- Like most investments, you want to know that if you have an issue, you will be taken care of. I had a few minor issues with my LR1600 (missing Derrick Mast backstop on crane body, "sticky" winch 5), and NZG went well beyond what I would consider "expected" customer service in resolving what could be considered "minor" issues. I even had the privilege of working with one of their senior design engineers in trying to resolve the issues with practical, readily available (in the home) fixes.

- Functionality should also be considered. Do you want to manipulate the model? Or set it up once and leave it be? A fellow collector who happens to own a standard YCC LTM 1800 with derrick and luffer, fears the day her husband decides to move house, she is afraid to touch it not necessarily due to fragility (I "borrow" her for delicate reeving from time to time), but to the cost required to replace anything that breaks! Her LTM1800, though her pride and joy of her collection, is very much a static display, remaining unchanged/altered from the time she originally set it up. I have no qualms about interacting (carefully, of course) with either of my models, and do so quite often.

Overall, I personally find the level of detail of YCC models, though at the upper end of the spectrum, to suffer from the law of diminishing returns. Consider what it would cost to acquire a "full" model (crane + luffer/rocker + derrick) from YCC to NZG? I would consider the LTM11200-9.1 (plus luffer/rocker and extensions, YCC cylinders) offered by NZG loosely analogous to the LTM1800 (incl derrick and luffer/rocker) offered by YCC, and the former will cost you a third of the latter (unless you have some connections or find one heck of a deal - if anyone knows of one, let me know!).

Ultimately, figure out what is right for you. Many of the previous commentators here speak from significant experience. Have you checked out any of Paul R's "family" photos? I use them to demonstrate to my wife that my hobby (collecting a few individual models vice collecting liveries) could be so much more expensive!

Be prepared to enjoy hours of frustration the first time you try to reeve the A-Frame on a heavy crane Smiley
Uzair
Posted: Monday, October 02, 2017 11:43:20 PM

Welp! I've gone and ordered this YCC LTM 1800. Cost me a pretty penny more than its launch price of £800 so quite a leap for my first construction model. Am feeling a bit nervous as to how it will be in person, and hopefully will arrive safe and sound

CmdrByron thank you for your detailed writeup. I agree with you that on a crane model close-up detail isn't as important as on car models. That said, I intend to have only a few cranes (between 4 to 6) so each one has to be the best possible. I'm glad I could buy the LTM 1800 as one of the best crane models out there. I fully intend to add NZG's LR 1600 and LTM 11200 as the next models. I am just not sure about which livery to get the 11200 in. I missed out on the Mammoet and of the currently available ones:

TER LINDEN
S.E LEVAGE
GUAY
Makro
Max Bögl
Transbiaga
Eseasa

... I am not getting the "must get" vibe from any of these, especially if I end up keeping only one LTM 11200. Can we find out which liveries NZG will do in the future?

Yeah - Paul R's collection is MASSIVE and utterly unbelievable that he can have so many (many!) models of cranes and heavy haulers !!! Where does he even store them and their boxes?

As to reaving, I have zero knowledge and experience so I am sure it will be an interesting experience learning on a complex model such as the LTM 1800!