DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Which WSI Liebherr LTM 1500-8.1 to buy ? Options · View
CraigDX
Posted: Wednesday, August 30, 2017 6:45:37 AM
Groups: Member

Hi all,

I really want to get one, but am unsure which to buy. I collect 1/18 scale models, so this is a bit out of my comfort zone.

I've narrowed it down to a few, but am open to other options Think

Ainscough - makes sense as I've seen their cranes around & it looks nice.
Baldwins - I like the colours of it, and as it has only just been released will be easy to find.
Grohmann - I love the look of it.
Michielsons - I love the look of it, but read that there are decals on it that are wrong ?
Kranwind - So striking, I'd quite like one.
Ocean Traders - I'm quite keen on this one, but I read that it doesn't exist in real life ?

I don't want the basic Liebherr one, although it's the cheapest, I'd prefer one in a businesses colours.

It would be displayed mostly in transport mode, but I'd like to know which ones don't come with both booms ? I've read that some only come with a long one & some only come with the short one. I'd quite like one with both.

Where is best to buy from ? I'm in the UK, so would prefer that, the EU is an option, but it would cost more as the exchange rate is so bad right now.

Thanks Smile
KGV123
Posted: Wednesday, August 30, 2017 8:48:34 AM

"Bok Seng Logistics" comes with one boom. Also to display it in transport mode, you need couple ballast trailers for all that comes with crane.

My collection: http://fotki.yandex.ru/users/umf2009/
Don L
Posted: Wednesday, August 30, 2017 11:47:32 AM

CraigDX wrote:
Hi all,

I really want to get one, but am unsure which to buy. I collect 1/18 scale models, so this is a bit out of my comfort zone.

I've narrowed it down to a few, but am open to other options Think

Baldwins - I like the colours of it, and as it has only just been released will be easy to find.
Michielsons - I love the look of it, but read that there are decals on it that are wrong ?
Ocean Traders - I'm quite keen on this one, but I read that it doesn't exist in real life ?

I don't want the basic Liebherr one, although it's the cheapest, I'd prefer one in a businesses colours.

It would be displayed mostly in transport mode, but I'd like to know which ones don't come with both booms ? I've read that some only come with a long one & some only come with the short one. I'd quite like one with both.

Where is best to buy from ? I'm in the UK, so would prefer that, the EU is an option, but it would cost more as the exchange rate is so bad right now.

Thanks Smile

The Ainscough, Grohmann, and Kranwind 1500s that I have seen have jacked up sky high prices. I have seen Baldwins available at normal pricing. I heard the same thing as you about Ocean Traders but they are at normal pricing. I bought the ALL Crane version which is still at normal pricing and discounted pricing in some places.

I am not familiar with Michielsons, but all the others you listed are really nice looking and desirable cranes. IMO
Alberta Millwright
Posted: Wednesday, August 30, 2017 1:10:27 PM

Good luck finding a Grohmann without over paying, Kranwind, Baldwins are still regularly priced. I think there was or is still a sale on "Ainscough" from some select dealers. "Michielsons" is becoming harder to get as time goes on. One of the nicest out there that is still for sale is the "Neeb and Schuch" livery. I would probably recommend that over the rest.

A Millwright..... in Alberta.
Paul R
Posted: Wednesday, August 30, 2017 6:32:08 PM

I've all the 1500's except Liebherr and Ocean Traders. You are correct that OT doesn't exist in real life.

Of the ones you've listed I'd go for KranWind or Baldwins. If you are planning to display in transport mode then you can also get the trucks for transporting the ballast etc...

However, the Global Port Services 1500 real crane looks real nice......

Paul R
CraigDX
Posted: Wednesday, August 30, 2017 6:54:43 PM

Thanks all Smile

The Baldwins one has only just been released right ?

Paul, which of them don't have both booms ? By the way, I marvelled at your group pics just before I signed up, I was pretty speechless!
Also, I was wondering, where do you buy yours from?

I just saw the Global Port Services one, if a model came along of that one, I'd find it hard to say no to!
Victor Pay
Posted: Wednesday, August 30, 2017 7:58:11 PM

CraigDX wrote:
Hi all,

The wrong decals are on the smallest telescope (with the headblock)... they are placed too much towards the headblock. They should remain inside when the boom is fully retracted - the part that always sticks out should be all orange, just like it is all red on the Mammoet version.
See here: http://www.bouwmachineforum.nl/forum/viewtopic.php?p=730182#p730182
Compare to the real crane: http://www.bouwmachineforum.nl/forum/viewtopic.php?p=690171#p690171
mikebramel
Posted: Thursday, August 31, 2017 12:37:00 AM

Another vote for Neeb
Paul R
Posted: Thursday, August 31, 2017 3:50:03 AM

CraigDX wrote:
Thanks all Smile

The Baldwins one has only just been released right ?

Paul, which of them don't have both booms ? By the way, I marvelled at your group pics just before I signed up, I was pretty speechless!
Also, I was wondering, where do you buy yours from?

I just saw the Global Port Services one, if a model came along of that one, I'd find it hard to say no to!

Yes Baldwins is only just released. I buy all my models from Jack Maguire @ Maguires Models. He's a well known U.K. dealer.

As for Global Port Services, let's just say the right people are well aware of this one Wink

Paul R
Paul R
Posted: Thursday, August 31, 2017 3:51:13 AM

Regarding boom sections, I think most of the later releases have both. Ainscough does and I'd imagine Baldwins will but don't have mine yet.

Paul R
CraigDX
Posted: Thursday, August 31, 2017 10:42:03 AM

Cool, I'll check out Maguires today & see if they have the Baldwins one on.

Have any you guys ever bought from DMB Models? They seem to have a few listed.

The Global Port Services one would be ace. I think I want the KranWind one though - the only thing is, it'll probably cost me almost £500 Sad

Cheers Victor. To be fair, it's not as bad as I thought, I could live with that. It looks a really nice crane!
Paul R
Posted: Thursday, August 31, 2017 11:43:38 AM

Give Jack a call. Usually the best way to get hold of him and tell him I sent you Wink

I have bought from DMB in the past and cannot really fault them to be honest. Good guys.

Yea, with the Xrate at the moment is makes these models quite expensive!

Paul R
GC1
Posted: Thursday, August 31, 2017 9:28:53 PM

You must also accept the fact as all of us tragics have done....you will not be staying at "just one"...just saying. Thay are very addictive and an enjoyable pastime to go with it.
CraigDX
Posted: Friday, September 01, 2017 6:45:44 AM

Cheers Paul, I'll give him a call soon, thanks.
GC1 wrote:
You must also accept the fact as all of us tragics have done....you will not be staying at "just one"...just saying. Thay are very addictive and an enjoyable pastime to go with it.

As a vast collector of 1/18 scale models, I know how it goes.. you are 100% correct there!! Thankfully, the 8.1's cost a fair amount of money, so that factor will hold me back a bit.
alexjuuh
Posted: Friday, September 01, 2017 11:28:18 AM

The Ltm 1500 William Whyte is also a real beauty and nice to combine with the Ltm 1050 and the coming Ltm 1350...

Unfortunately this Ltm 1500 is very hard to find :(
CraigDX
Posted: Monday, September 04, 2017 12:18:47 PM

I started looking at LTM 11200's the other day Whistle

I saw the Max Boegl (sp) ones on eBay with damaged boxes for a little under £400 They're pretty cool, but if the livery was a bit more interesting I'd have bought one.

I also saw that DMB have raised their prices on most of the 1500's Whatever I'll give Jack at Maguires a call this week.

Alberta Millwright
Posted: Monday, September 04, 2017 2:37:14 PM

That's one thing I can't stand in this hobby is the fact the dealers jump on jacking up the prices, I have never seen it this bad for any other hobby. They would rather sit on a product for years with triple the price in hopes of snagging that one desperate guy. I usually just get the ones on sale since it seems a lot of them are starting to sit a lot longer in stock, maybe everyone is running out of money!

A Millwright..... in Alberta.
CraigDX
Posted: Wednesday, September 06, 2017 6:26:58 AM

Yeah that annoys me too!

I was wondering if any of the big sellers ever go to toy fairs ? I'm often at Sandown Park & have seen a lot of lovely 1/50 trucks, but I can't remember if I've ever seen cranes there ?
Paul R
Posted: Wednesday, September 06, 2017 10:27:04 AM

Maguires Models go to several shows but his speciality is trucks so likely won't have cranes. DMB go to a few and they might have some cranes with them.

Paul R
CraigDX
Posted: Saturday, September 30, 2017 3:21:38 PM

Just to say that I've ordered the Kran wind 1500, and a set of 1/50 construction chaps to go with it. I can't wait! :d/