DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Euclid TC-12 Options · View
JohnGalt
Posted: Tuesday, June 27, 2017 10:38:15 AM

Groups: Member

I saw this along the road last week and thought you guys would like to see it, too.

It's along route 20 in Sharon Springs, NY. It looks well kept, and still capable of generating revenue.
Quinella
Posted: Tuesday, June 27, 2017 11:21:30 AM

Great looking and thanks. What's with that top? It looks plastic. CAW
JohnGalt
Posted: Tuesday, June 27, 2017 11:27:50 AM

I think it's from a golf cart. Confused
Diecastmania
Posted: Tuesday, June 27, 2017 7:08:50 PM

Awesome machine, would love to see it in person. Which side of the highway was this on? Any particular landmark to look for?

- Joe
JohnGalt
Posted: Tuesday, June 27, 2017 7:50:35 PM

It's on the north side of HWY 20. Here's the website Macfadden & Sons. In the picture on Google maps, at the very left you can see a sign about "State Law: Stop for Stopped School Bus", which you can also see behind the dozer in my pictures. If you are going to look for it, it's about 20 minutes west of I-88. If it's still there, you won't miss it.
89cxsport
Posted: Thursday, June 29, 2017 9:36:15 PM

My favorite machine of all times, thanks for sharing.

Flickr Photostream
RobS
Posted: Thursday, June 29, 2017 10:24:37 PM

Just caught the name on the side, "Buzzin Dozen". Perfect!

Rob
Diecastmania
Posted: Friday, June 30, 2017 4:56:17 AM

JohnGalt wrote:
It's on the north side of HWY 20. Here's the website Macfadden & Sons. In the picture on Google maps, at the very left you can see a sign about "State Law: Stop for Stopped School Bus", which you can also see behind the dozer in my pictures. If you are going to look for it, it's about 20 minutes west of I-88. If it's still there, you won't miss it.

Thank you for the reply. I'll post photos if I end up going.

- Joe
Dex
Posted: Friday, June 30, 2017 11:23:19 AM

Such an interesting design. Does anybody have a good link for an explanation of how it's articulation works?
Mr. Scholz
Posted: Sunday, July 02, 2017 2:06:40 PM

Hi Dex,

it's rather simple: There are two frames side by side, with the track undercarriages bolted fix to them. There is a pivot point in the height of the sprockets at the rear and a guiding-rail-and-finger assembly at the hard noses of the frames in the front of the tractor. So there is no equalizer bar as on standard tractors. The two halves simply can slide up and downwards to each other just as they need to.

In some forums it was discussed that you can split the TC-12 in half if necessary - but this was seldom the case, as I as not able to find any pictures of it. But here are two clear shots of the front and back end without any rippers or blades:

I have a scan of a book showing the naked frames of the TC-12. If you want, I can send you an email. Ah, yes, copyrights! Google Patents is always a cool source for clearing things up, so here is the original patent for it:

https://www.google.ch/patents/US2955845

And here is an according patent showing how complicated an equalizer bar for TC12s/82-80s would have been:

https://www.google.ch/patents/US3096840

Einen schoenen Sonntag noch!

Max
Dex
Posted: Tuesday, July 04, 2017 3:24:59 PM

Thank you for taking the time to explain that, Max. Very neat design, like two dozers joined at the hip.
Mr. Scholz
Posted: Wednesday, July 05, 2017 9:56:09 AM

Welcome! Yes, the TC12 is a quite unique and good looking machine. But I made a mistake: The pivot point is not inline with the sprockets, it sits just in front of them. Where you can see the square cover with the four bolts, there is a tube/housing for an massive axle connecting the two halves.

Cheers,

Max
max
Posted: Sunday, July 09, 2017 12:07:36 PM

Diecastmania wrote:
Awesome machine, would love to see it in person. Which side of the highway was this on? Any particular landmark to look for?

If you ever attends the HCEA annual convention, you're very likely not only to see one in person but to have a chance to hear it roaring.....make sure you bring ear plugs, you'll need them!!!!!
As far as the white canopy is concerned, i guess it is o.k. to provide shadow, but in case of a rollover, it is totally useless.....
Very interresting machine, TFS.
B-t-w, Am i the only one who noticed that theire is only one top roller on the left of the machine while theire are two on the right side of it???
That's pretty interresting, is'n it!!
Max.

Cat 245.....Now and Forever

I am looking for industrial auction brochures from Ritchie Bros, Miller & Miller, Forke Bros, First Team Auction, Max Rouse, etc from the 70's, 80's and 90's.I am a collector and heavy equipment enthusiast and these pamphlets are loaded with nice pictures of cleaned and freshly painted equipment.Thet don't have much value once the sale is over but they are a great help to me in preserving the memory of machines that are no longer being built.Please, help my hobby by looking in your old storage boxes and file folders for these old auction sale brochures.Your help is much appreciated.
Ross Fowlie
Posted: Sunday, July 09, 2017 2:25:34 PM

Very Cool looking machine! Does anyone make a 1:50th model of it, maybe EMD?

Ross
Mr. Scholz
Posted: Sunday, July 09, 2017 2:52:22 PM

There are at least two models of the TC12/82-80 I know, one was made by OHS. It's a nice model, its tracks may look a little bit chunky. Nowadays it is rather rare and the last one I've seen was offered for around 650 bucks. It was a 82-80 with cab, hydraulic u-blade and three shank riper.
And there is the very good looking TC12 made by Black Rat. It comes in many different versions and contractor liveries and tipps the scale at whopping 850 - 1,200 dollars. Black Rat offers TC12s as simple scraper pushers, but also equipped with coal blades or u-blade and ripper.
Diecastmania
Posted: Sunday, July 09, 2017 7:49:13 PM

Can't forget the Corgi TC12 either. Though obviously not intended as an exact 1:50 scale model, it still holds its place as a classic piece. Unfortunately it remains quite sought after by Corgi collectors as well as equipment fans...

- Joe
Mr. Scholz
Posted: Friday, July 14, 2017 6:57:48 PM

3 years back, Jamiescotland did an outstanding job on the Corgi TC12. On first sight it looks toy like, but when you change the rubber tracks, it offers you some real good details for a reasonable price. Saw good examples traded for 60-80€ the last months. BRI says it is 1/50, but often I find the declaration of 1/43rd scale. Regarding the 1/50 figur Jamie used in his pics, that seems to be right.

http://forum.dhsdiecast.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=136075
JoeE
Posted: Friday, July 14, 2017 7:23:17 PM

Lest we not forget the excellent small diecast Impy versions..

We rally round the family, with a pocket full of shells.....
randy krieg
Posted: Saturday, July 15, 2017 1:21:45 PM

This is the OHS Terex 82-80. I purchased mine as a kit from BRI and took this picture right after I completed it. It was resin, white metal and had some brass etched pieces. The kit hydraulic cylinders were kind of rough looking so I built some new ones from scratch using some brass and aluminum tubing. It would be nice if someone still made these kits.