DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

MLC650 Thread Options · View
cranedude07
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2017 5:42:29 PM

Groups: Member

The factory had it tied off onto the pin that holds the big cylinder ontop of the a frame, but as i was trying to raise the a frame to attach the rear mast pendants to it, one of them came loose, so i just tied them to the sheave instead

Brandon

my youtube channel
My Facebook Page
eng1660
Posted: Monday, February 27, 2017 8:16:59 PM

Has anyone had an issue with the square tip of the drum key breaking off?
chevyman
Posted: Monday, February 27, 2017 9:54:00 PM

Yep, broke both of mine already. Weiss is sending me some more. One of the tips is still stuck in the main block winch. That one broke because one of the brackets that hold the winch wasn't pressed into place 100%. That is causing the winch to bind and difficult to turn. I'm not sure how I'm going to get it out.

Great model and there's some improvements over the 18000 and 16000. Unfortunately there's a few Q/C problems and the waxed string isn't worth a damn. I broke both of my keys while installing new line not even during assembly/operation.
eng1660
Posted: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 3:58:32 PM

I had the same issue with the key breaking in the main drum, however I was able to use a small drill bit and tap to remove it. Also I removed all the line as it's garbage and replaced it with Mason 20lb Great Water braided dacron you can purchase it directly here's the link to the site. They also carry Big Muskie braided dacron the second link.
http://www.masontackle.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=60
http://www.masontackle.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=93
SDBOB
Posted: Wednesday, March 08, 2017 7:49:25 PM

Took a trip to DHS to pick up my MLC 650,today.Just glanced in carton with Cory. Looks nice.Bought a few parts and Sword tractors that had parts missing and a All calendar. Just walked in,tired and windy trip. A truck driver pulling a triple had 'fun' with last trailer. I stayed at least a lane away from trailers seeing what was happening with gusts.Meet a guy Russ who operated 4100 ringer,nice day. Thanks guys for the quality model.
RobS
Posted: Thursday, March 09, 2017 10:37:19 AM

In spite of my early enthusiasm, I've been too busy to do much with the mighty MLC650 since I got it. I do have a couple of questions though:

1) On the real crane, is the gantry reeved as the model, with two seperate lines or is it one continuous loop?

2) On the model, I thought I had read that one could turn both gantry winches with one handle, or turn them seperately from each side. Anyone know more about this?

Thanks ahead of time. I hope to get back on the beast and post some more photos soon!

Rob
RobS
Posted: Friday, March 10, 2017 11:39:18 PM

The trucks keep showing up...

Rob
allisoes
Posted: Monday, March 13, 2017 6:50:18 PM

Rob,
I was ConExpo last week and got a chance to talk to the Manitowoc Product Manager and asked him your question about reeving. He told me that the MLC650 and the MLC300 both have one cable and one drum. On the MLC650, there is divider on the drum and there are two Hydraulic motors that drive the one drum. The ends are connected to the drum on either side of the divider. This arrangement is to double the reeving speed.

Below are two pictures of the reeving of the A-Frame on the MLC650. you can see in both the bottom and top sheaves, there is no becket.

This is not a real good picture, but if you look inside the black circle, you can see the becket on the MLC300.

Regards,

Ed Allison
Victor Pay
Posted: Monday, March 13, 2017 7:20:19 PM

OK so with the black circle you're trying to show us there's nothing there? Wink No cable end.
Anyway, it looks like I was right thinking that the reeving would basically be the same as on the Liebherr LR 1600/2.
RobS
Posted: Monday, March 13, 2017 8:34:01 PM

Very interesting and great photos, thanks Ed. Unless there is an idle sheave, this does show a difference between the model and the real crane as the model has 15 sheaves at each end. No complaints though I may re-reeve at my next opportunity.

I'll have some more model photos to post soon...

Thanks again!

Rob
Victor Pay
Posted: Monday, March 13, 2017 9:03:16 PM

With this reeving system, the A-frame always has one more sheeve than the crane body. There's no other way. If they both have 15 sheeves, you need to skip one on the crane body.
allisoes
Posted: Tuesday, March 14, 2017 12:38:34 AM

MCL650:
I enlarged the pictures of the top and bottom sheaves and carefully counted them. The Results are:

- 15 sheaves on the top and
- 14 on the bottom

I can post the full size pictures if any one wants a larger version

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MLC300:
I can see my circle actually made it harder to see the becket so I have posted the following two pictures without any circle. The bottom picture you can see the tail coming out of the becket behind the top handrail.

Regards,

Ed
tomcat1191
Posted: Tuesday, March 14, 2017 8:07:54 AM

Don't know if this has been asked or if anybody knows, but do they plan on releasing any of these in a livery?

Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.

allisoes
Posted: Tuesday, March 14, 2017 12:20:58 PM

I found another picture of the Becket on the MLC300 (on the right side)

- Ed
Victor Pay
Posted: Tuesday, March 14, 2017 3:10:59 PM

OK, my earlier remark about your black circle is obsolete - didn't even notice you were talking about two cranes in one post.
My comparison with the LR 1600/2 goes with the MLC 650, the MLC 300 is different and has a much easier reeving Smiley