DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

NEED HELP Manitowoc 4100W Reeving GUIDE Options · View
Talyan55
Posted: Tuesday, May 03, 2016 4:13:55 AM
Groups: Member

Hi guys! over the weekend i finally received my first crawler crane. TWH Manitowoc 4100W Crawler Crane. have to say amazing model but this is the problem. I had purchused it used and person who sold it cut all the ropes to ship the model.

Since this is my first crawler crane i was expecting to have everything reeved and to connect the boom section but looks like i have to do everything from scratch.

Are there any step by step guides or anyone has any good information? At this point do not even know were to start.

I have also tried to search but some of the posts are very old and all the photos are lo longer available

Sincerely !!!
"/>
RI CRANEMAN
Posted: Tuesday, May 03, 2016 8:54:03 AM

Well Talyan you have your work cutout for you!! If this is your first 4100 crane, you will need to know a few things about it. First, ALL IS NOT LOST. This can be repaired. Before you try to re-reeve the gantry and equalizer, you need to assemble the boom sections and the boom pendants.( Hopefully they weren't cut) Attach the equalizer to the pendants. Now lay the boom assembly down. This will give you the maximum distance you will need between the equalizer and the boom gantry. The next problem is to spool new rope onto the boom hoist drums. Since the previous owner cut the ropes, the only alternative is to pull all of the rope off the drums except for a few inches to connect the new rope to. I would recommend that you change to braided line. The crane was originally rigged at the factory with a rope starting on each drum and then reeving through the equalizer, meeting in the middle with a knot. The fix is to start out by pulling the new rope through one side of the gantry and equalizer by following the rigging diagram then through the other side ending at the other rope thereby eliminating the knot. Then, tie the new rope to the existing rope.(use instant glue to secure the knots.) In order to successfully rig the equalizer, you must immobilize it while you rig it. Build some spacers out of anything handy, cardboard etc. then use masking tape to secure it to the boom so that you can reeve through the pulleys. You will have to be methodical, take your time, have small pieces of masking tape to secure the rope as it passes around the pulleys. The biggest problem with rigging this part is the rope jumping off the sheaves. You must keep tension on the ropes. If rope does jump off, you can use tweezers to put the rope back on. But, if more than one jumps off, sometimes it's better to just pull everything back and start over. Here are some photos that might help. Good Luck!!!!

HERE IS THE RIGGING DIAGRAM

HERE ARE WHAT THE DRUMS LOOK LIKE INSIDE THE CRANE

LAY DOWN THE BOOM

HERE IS THE GANTRY AND EQUALIZER RIGGED

IT SHOULD LOOK LIKE THIS WHEN YOUR DONE.

If the only tool you have is a hammer, you start to see every problem as a nail. Abraham Maslow
Talyan55
Posted: Tuesday, May 03, 2016 12:10:57 PM

Thank you crane man. For the explonation.

To begin with. What line do I need to buy Smiley

Thanks
RI CRANEMAN
Posted: Tuesday, May 03, 2016 1:34:04 PM

I would recommend The Anglers Connection black dacron braid, 12 lb. test for hoist and whip lines and, 20 lb. test for boom pendants. I don't think Muskie Master line is being made any more. It comes in 50 yd. spools which is more than enough to rig a Manitowoc 4100.

If the only tool you have is a hammer, you start to see every problem as a nail. Abraham Maslow
Talyan55
Posted: Tuesday, May 03, 2016 2:57:24 PM

Thank you Craneman. Just ordered #12 and 20 lines online.

To summarize the process from my understanding once the new lines come in the mail I attach them to one side of the drum follow the diagram for the reeving and attach the end of the line to the other side of drums wire?

Thank you

Talyan55
Posted: Tuesday, May 03, 2016 3:30:39 PM

Thank you Craneman for taking your time for the images and all the useful information.

RI CRANEMAN
Posted: Tuesday, May 03, 2016 4:46:07 PM

Here are a few more images of the gantry and equalizer that I just took that may help you:

SDBOB
Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2016 10:53:33 AM

Thanks craneman for the closeups. I've been thinking about rereaving one of mine.Just never took the time.I have the clam I was just rigging and dropped the equalizer, it's tangled now.Waiting for time to untangle. Crane man I'm looking for the mount and hoist drums for a ringer,would happen to have any? Looking at your pic I guess I could make them.Thanks
Talyan55
Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2016 3:26:55 PM

Craneman you are a life saver Smile

Can't wait to get new lines in to start the process
Cubanb343
Posted: Saturday, May 07, 2016 12:41:34 AM

Thank you also for the photos !!
mdw46
Posted: Tuesday, August 29, 2017 7:49:40 PM

Why can't the photo's open ???
Paul R
Posted: Wednesday, August 30, 2017 4:32:17 AM

mdw46 wrote:

Photobucket no longer allow 3rd party image hosting unless you pay $400 per year. So anyone with a free account can no longer post photos to a forum like this one.

Paul R
ulf
Posted: Wednesday, August 30, 2017 2:36:17 PM

Paul R wrote:
mdw46 wrote:

Photobucket no longer allow 3rd party image hosting unless you pay $400 per year. So anyone with a free account can no longer post photos to a forum like this one.

Paul R

Bless their greedy little hearts. TinyPic still works, but is slow as molasses... Shame on you
mdw46
Posted: Sunday, September 03, 2017 12:08:20 PM

Greedy Dirtbags