DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Chinese Model Copies? Options · View
Basketball Man
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2013 10:31:12 PM

Groups: Member

Found this on eBay today

http://www.ebay.com/itm/diecast-car-engineering-alloy-model-excavator-machine-fancy-truck-gift-free-1-50-/300929353813?pt=Diecast_Vehicles&hash=item4610c98855

It seems an awful lot like the 1/64 Norscot 385C L. Have I just been living under a rock or have these been floating around for a while?

-Ethan
Collection 8/2/2016
For more of the Diorama and my collection: On Facebook or On YouTube
Weserhutte
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2013 11:06:40 PM

Get that rock off of you!

This "Hy Truck" brand sells a large number of Norscrap and other knockoffs!
Brett G
Posted: Friday, September 20, 2013 12:52:49 AM

i bought a hy truck log loader & sat it next to my norscot 980G EVERYTHING is exactly the same right done to the finest detail molding EXCEPT no CAT 980G , Caterpillar on cab decals & unpainted/large rivets.

The large rivets

Sent from my HTC M10 - Rooted , using S-OFF , Open Home 6 & Buuf icon packs
http://forum.xda-developers.com/ BUILD YOUR OWN PHONE

leo-cat
Posted: Friday, September 20, 2013 4:48:10 PM

Here´s my thought: Anybody remember the Caterpillar models produced by Joal (D10, 225, ...)? They got "Compact"-stickers when Joal lost their license to produce Cat-models.
Maybe Hy Trucks is Norscots toy department. They sell stuff Norscot can´t sell with the Cat sticker on em. They sell them cheaper than the Cat stuff but don´t have to deal with Cat license costs.

Still, I doubt using the same casts/shapes and stuff like the power-edge -design is 100% legal.

Leo
UH171
Posted: Friday, September 20, 2013 11:35:57 PM

The Compact models had different decals then cat ones where is the hy track ones are exactitly the same decals

Remember when it comes to equipment the older and more obscure the better

A Cat 225 will beat a 320EL hands down
RowanH
Posted: Saturday, September 21, 2013 7:43:08 PM

The ad says its 1:50th but I'm guessing that its actually 1.64th scale?

Rowan.

1:25th scale CAT 375L excavator

Brett G
Posted: Sunday, September 22, 2013 2:57:10 AM

just update pics added

catman15
Posted: Sunday, September 22, 2013 12:57:55 PM

Brett G wrote:
just update pics added

I thought they were close to looking identical, but thats just about exact!

I thought about getting the 345B MH one but wasn't to sure, so I'll give it a whirl. I wouldn't mind trying to make a 345B/C L.

-Bob

Brett G
Posted: Sunday, September 22, 2013 2:47:06 PM

thought this was impressive
Model: China Sany "86 M" Concrete pump 1:50
http://www.msw-modelle.com/en/concrete-pump/Sany/China/1-50/86-M/details/152-00235/?module=detailedArticleInformation&id=152-00235&openNav0=filterModelsByAttributes&modelManufacturer=China

UH171
Posted: Sunday, September 22, 2013 9:48:08 PM

Was the quality of the fake 980G the same as the norscot piece if so they whould be a good custom base

Cat345bl
Posted: Sunday, September 22, 2013 10:10:26 PM

I see these models all the time on ebay. I lost the link to it, but there was a copy of their 345BL material handler. It was altered, and did not have a cab raiser, and the peel grapple only had 4 tines instead of 5. I have a bring the link up, it looked like a heap of crap, but so it the one Norscot orginally made. I also seen ones of Converting Norscot loaders into rollers.

-Mike, Collecting 1/50th Construction Diecast Since 2003.
View My Collection Here, As of 03/29/24

UH171
Posted: Sunday, September 22, 2013 11:37:34 PM

The 980G one is not bad at all just the same as the norscot one

Brett G
Posted: Monday, September 23, 2013 1:11:55 PM

yes the copy is as good as the norscot

Done4075
Posted: Friday, September 27, 2013 1:27:15 PM

In my mind, the "fake 980G" is done from the Norscot mold without their knowledge. No Chinese company will invest 30000 or more Euro to sell a few copies for low money.........

China is high corrupt and Mafia in Palermo is like Kindergarden ! Whistle

From nearly all model manufacturere we have found models on ebay in the past..... Wink

little more is always possible
DOLPHIN
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2013 4:24:05 PM

Some of these copies also appeared here in South Africa including some Scania trucks with concrete mixers, dump trucks, roll-off type bin trucks etc which look like Universal Hobbies.

The Norscot copies include a 385 excavator on wheels with a rock hammer, the 980's, and a 772 rock dumper which the boxes claim is 1/50 scale.

I am not sure if the 772 is a true 1/50 scale - maybe some-one who can compare it to the Norscot can confirm.

Thanks

Dolph
Dex
Posted: Thursday, October 03, 2013 5:00:55 PM

I just ordered one of the 385c clones, should be here in a few weeks and I'll report my findings.

I really doubt it's 1:50 scale, it's probably 1:64; either way, it'll be used for parts.

When in China, copy write laws mean absolutely nothing. Counterfeit is a way of life for many retailers, so this is most likely a copy of the Norscot model. The under carriage looks a bit different, note the rubber tracks. My girlfriend just got back from a trip to Beijing, she brought me back some "Diesel" and "Armani" jeans that they bought for the equivalent or $4 US each. They are so good neither her or her mom were able to figure out if they were knock-offs, ones that didn't pass muster, or were last years models. It's a big business over there.
janh
Posted: Saturday, December 01, 2018 10:17:59 PM

I received a Norscot CAT 374d model from China today.First of all I need to say the price even with shipping costs and customs was only about half the retail price here in Germany.
And I bought it for parts only for a custom model project.
It seems to be a genuine Norscot model,still has the elder blister/paper packaging with all labels on it.
The build quality makes me think it might be something like b quality or a model that was already sorted out in China.One of the boom rivets is crocked and it has a slight paint scratch on the boom.
Now what makes me really wonder,it seems to have different metal tracks compared to the 374d model that I know.The tracks have the same width,but more track pads per side,so the individual track links are shorter.Or is this just a earlier version of the 374d?

And speaking of copies:
Has anybody ordered one of the 793 dump truck copies?
Is it really 1/50 scale?
janh
Posted: Monday, December 03, 2018 10:13:40 AM

Any idea about these tracks? Confused

maxcavator
Posted: Monday, December 03, 2018 12:04:36 PM

Those tracks can be anything, Some factory in China is still using the older Norscot tooling to make models. They swap, mix and match parts to get the models done.
I used to work for a company that had equipment made in China. About a year later we began seeing that same equipment, it had different paint and some modifications but clearly the same. There was nothing they could do about it.

I have 2 Volvo C220E. One is the original version from Motorart. The track pads are the same color as the boom and the model is built right. The other (Ebay special) has black generic pads that don't match the originals. All the handrails are crooked , missing the mirrors and some wipers. They clearly used the same tooling but some of the bits and pieces are what they had at the moment.
Dex
Posted: Monday, December 03, 2018 2:03:05 PM

maxcavator wrote:
Those tracks can be anything, Some factory in China is still using the older Norscot tooling to make models. They swap, mix and match parts to get the models done.
I used to work for a company that had equipment made in China. About a year later we began seeing that same equipment, it had different paint and some modifications but clearly the same. There was nothing they could do about it.

I have 2 Volvo C220E. One is the original version from Motorart. The track pads are the same color as the boom and the model is built right. The other (Ebay special) has black generic pads that don't match the originals. All the handrails are crooked , missing the mirrors and some wipers. They clearly used the same tooling but some of the bits and pieces are what they had at the moment.

Yep! Nobody destroyed the molds. The factories that build the old Norscot stuff simply started selling counterfeits when Norscot went tits-up. Thay had all the equipment and print files for the boxe, so it's to be expected. I have one of the counterfeit 320/323 models. I thought it was legit until I started looking closer.