DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

American cranes Photo collection ( update ) Options · View
eef7260
Posted: Sunday, June 16, 2013 5:22:53 PM

Groups: Member

Hi Guys

I made this group on flickr about American cranes.
Goal is as much photo's from American cranes as possible for every one to enjoy.
At the moment there are 3 contributors , myself Kerst and my friend Erik and there are 360 pictures.
But i invite every one who has some nice shots from American cranes to join the group.
If you have a flickr account and nice American pictures please join or become a flickr member and join.
Together we can make a very nice photo archive.
Just watch and enjoy or even better upload also.

Let us know what think of it.

American cranes Photo collection

Eef

***Flickr American cranes group***3D printed crane parts at Shapeways***3D printed crane parts at I.materialise

ben94f150
Posted: Sunday, June 16, 2013 8:52:25 PM

Great page nice work
LatticeCraneMan
Posted: Monday, June 17, 2013 12:05:18 AM

Can you just post a link here Eef sorta special guest without joining the party ? Teeth

Chet

I live in my own little world it's ok they know me here
Lashlander
Posted: Monday, June 17, 2013 1:04:56 AM

Nice set of pictures. You looking for pictures like these?

eef7260
Posted: Monday, June 17, 2013 7:22:08 AM

Hi Guys

Quote:
Can you just post a link here Eef sorta special guest without joining the party ?
????
There is a link just click the red letters in the first post " American cranes Photo collection " free for everyone to watch and enjoy.
But why not join the party Chet , the more the better.

Hi Lashlander
Quote:
You looking for pictures like these?

Do i need to a to answer that , really beautiful pictures and thanks for joining.
Looking forward to your contribution.

Did see a lot of views and of course that's what i was hoping for but i know there a lot more nice pictures out there.
So please join the group and upload

Eef

***Flickr American cranes group***3D printed crane parts at Shapeways***3D printed crane parts at I.materialise

LatticeCraneMan
Posted: Monday, June 17, 2013 6:30:56 PM

Nice pics Eef have old browser can see in lightbox though !As far as joining just like viewing for now !

TFS
Chet

Cat345bl
Posted: Monday, June 17, 2013 10:12:28 PM

I don't have a Flickr Account don't feel like joining, but someone can upload my pics if they want to.

HC 80

HC 165

Refurbished 9299, took these pictures 4 and 5 years ago, before it left the yard, and showed up again there last week.

-Mike, Collecting 1/50th Construction Diecast Since 2003.
View My Collection Here, As of 09/21/23

eef7260
Posted: Tuesday, June 18, 2013 5:11:16 AM

Hi Cat345bl

I can upload them tonight for you.
But they are gone be uploaded under my name , hope that's not a problem for you.
If you ever change your mind and you wanted them uploaded under your own name i will remove them of course , just send me a message.
There is one thing i like you to confirm these are your own photos , don't want to upload other people's photo's without permission.
I will only upload them after you have confirmed this , sounds a bit official but i have to ask.
Thanks for sharing and great pictures.

Eef

Cat345bl
Posted: Tuesday, June 18, 2013 7:17:08 PM

Not a problem Eef, you don't have to credit me for them either. Will post some more links of some Americans, As I find them too.

Some More American Pics I found on flickr. I think you can add these photos to your group.

Flickr pic of the HC80

Large 6 Axle American

http://www.flickr.com/photos/93409219@N08/8508337751/

Amquip American

http://www.flickr.com/photos/93409219@N08/8486849224/

-Mike, Collecting 1/50th Construction Diecast Since 2003.
View My Collection Here, As of 09/21/23

eef7260
Posted: Wednesday, June 19, 2013 4:37:46 PM

Hi

Some updates from Cat345bl and 89cxsport , thanks guys.
Cat345bl i send the owner of these pics a mail see if he want to join and ad them to the group , thanks for the info.

Eef

89cxsport
Posted: Wednesday, June 19, 2013 10:33:30 PM

I am pretty sure there is an American crane on a bridge project down the road from me, I am going to try a get photos this weekend so I may have more to add.

Flickr Photostream
eef7260
Posted: Friday, July 05, 2013 5:39:20 PM

Some nice updates have a look.
american_cranes
And again everybody is welcome to post American pictures , so join and upload.

Eef

allisoes
Posted: Friday, July 05, 2013 7:30:46 PM

Great Update! Love those pictures of the 1:1 cranes!
LatticeCraneMan
Posted: Saturday, July 06, 2013 1:19:41 AM

Great set of new pics eef ! Who makes the crane carrier for this American... really sleek lookin ! I know it is not Hendrickson or a Pierce I doubt almost like FAUN..... nevermind it is a modern designed Pierce !

TFS
Chet

terex90c
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2013 5:17:58 PM

Carrier built by American themselves.
Weserhutte
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2013 10:06:59 PM

LatticeCraneMan wrote:
nevermind it is a modern designed Pierce !

Where do you come up with this? Do you have anything to support this statement?

___________________________________________________________________________________

Some trivia for the rest of you; The first American crane truck carriers were produced by Warner & Swasey back in the '40s. The first six-axle carriers were designed by Jimmy McHugh, commissioned by American H &D and produced by Hendrickson.

As for the unit in question; I'm in agreement with terex90c that it was an in-house design, but was it actually built in Minnesota? It has a bit of a TOR "look" I think?
Paul Crane
Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2013 9:25:18 AM

I saw an American truck crane like this when I lived in West Palm Beach, FL. I wonder if it's the same one or if there's more than one of them. Great photo gallery Eef. TFS
kerst
Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2013 10:01:47 AM

Paul Crane wrote:
I saw an American truck crane like this when I lived in West Palm Beach, FL. I wonder if it's the same one or if there's more than one of them. Great photo gallery Eef. TFS

It is actually my picture and it was taken in port of Miami.

Kerst

http://forums.dhsdiecast.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=1096251
LatticeCraneMan
Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2013 11:09:48 PM

Since in agreement guess gotta go with American didn't know they built their own carrier.

M. Gomez model 4600 which looks similiar wrote Pierce below this pic which led me to believe the same manufacturer.

Thanks
Chet

DC Craneman
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2013 7:47:58 PM

There were several Canadian crane carrier manufacturers. Thor survives today and builds the carrier used under the Manitowoc 2250. Consolidate was another and they built carriers that were used under some Bucyrus Erie hydraulics. American purchased either Consolidate or a third whose name I do not know in the early 70's.
Prior to the purchase many of the Americans sold in the western US used Pierce Pacific or Crane Carrier Corp. four axle carriers. Those in the east were generally built by Hendrickson in Lyons, Illinois. No one prior to the McHugh 100 ton had successfully built a six axle carrier. Hendrickson had attempted but had not succeed. Jimmy McHugh resolved the steering axle geometry issues in the earlier attempts and through his contacts at US Steel and American Bridge, a US Steel subsidiary at the time, also introduced high strength T-1 steel to the equation. He took his designs to Hendrickson. With his engineering and steel knowledge that he brought to the discussions, Bill Hendrickson, the President of Hendrickson Mfg. at the time, agreed to proceed with the carrier's construction. The Hendrickson design was used under the earlier machines. American was using their own Carriers by the time the 220 ton or 250 ton truck crane was introduced. One model designation was then a 9400 and the other was a 9500. One was the higher profile cab with no front overhang (9400) (Hendrickson) and the low profile carrier with the overhand and cab ahead of the axle was the Canadian built American Carrier (9500). This Canadian plant was the primary source of American Carriers for all models.

The final model 9490 was a 300 ton over the rear and the sole machine built was on a Pierce Pacific carrier. The American carrier plant was closed at that time and the Hendrickson design was limited to 250 tons. The low profile carrier also used a Detroit Diesel engine as standard while the Hendrickson styled carrier used Cummins as standard in the later variants.

Part of this is based upon conversations that I've had with Mr. Jimmy McHugh both via phone and in person.

FWD also built crane carriers but many were of a lighter three axle design as used under early Grove and BE hydraulic machines. Lorain, Link Belt and P&H lead in building their carriers in house.

An interesting aside is the McHughs had used Rogers Bros. trailers until they switched to Talbert. At the time of the change, Rogers had yet to adopt T-1 steel in their designs while Talbert had. Talbert in its early years was diagonally across 47th Street in Lyons from the Hendrickson headquarters and assisted Austin Talbert in his Lyons' years. Besides crane carriers, the McHughs purchased Hendrickson tractors of various specifications. A model update to the Hendrickson models in 1971 of which the McHughs purchased one were not a stout as the earlier model's cab and hood structures and hence they turned to Autocar for the following purchase or purchases.