DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Berger Mark VI log yarder Options · View
JTL
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2012 1:05:52 AM

Groups: Member

I have wanted to see one of these beasts in person for many many years. Only two were ever built, and the same company in Forks, Washington owns them both. I went for a drive over that way (I'm working in Port Angeles now) today and had a look around, and looky what I found! Its was sitting across the road from their main shop. They must have the other rigged up and logging somewhere.

They also had this old 245 Cat log loader sitting there.

Are you an enviromentist, or do you work for a living?
FiatAllisHD41
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2012 1:15:52 AM

That's one heck of a Yarder. Is it self propelled ?

“A tiger doesn't lose sleep over the opinion of sheep.” ― Shahir Zag

" An educated mind learns from his mistakes and corrects them. A dolt, on the other hand, lashes out and continues showing his ignorance."
-Unknown

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”― Arthur C. Clarke

"Anti-social behavior is a trait of intelligence in a world full of conformists" - Nikola Tesla

" If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur ". Paul Neal "Red" Adair {Wild Well Firefighter for those who live under rocks}

JTL
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2012 1:28:10 AM

Yes it is self propelled. Fully rigged it weighs around 240,000 pounds.

Are you an enviromentist, or do you work for a living?
Eric Pioszak
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2012 2:01:18 AM

JTL wrote:

They also had this old 245 Cat log loader sitting there.

Ah the good old days when you could log with whatever you could afford, rather than being limited by what you can legally move down the road...

Eric W. Pioszak, Operating Engineers Local 701, Portland, Oregon

METAL TRACKS AVAILABLE AGAIN!
Cab guards Available again!
Grapples Available again!
Industrialscalemodels[at symbol]Gmail.com
Linkbelt or Cat
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2012 2:21:37 AM

petey papac had a 245 like that fall through the bridge on highway 101. the bergers are impressive. dahlgrens have some videos on youtube.

Jimmy

Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive!
noraztrans
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2012 11:40:38 AM

That is a monster!! That is the first one i have ever seen for sure, well i guess if there were only 2 made that would explain why i havent seen one. Thanks for sharing pics, Chris

HAMMER TO FIT...PAINT TO MATCH!

The ironic use of IT IV emissions technology on forestry equipment…. “Burning the woods down while trying to save the ozone”
linkbelt290rb
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2012 11:51:10 AM

thats cool,

Nothing runs like a deere with a cat on its back but the link belt ate both of them

WCollins
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2012 1:14:21 PM

JTL wrote:
Yes it is self propelled. Fully rigged it weighs around 240,000 pounds.

She's a Gem, I always liked those open air drivers cabs on the Berger's. I remember towing around a M2A behind my mack last year. Hauled it all in one piece, With the spar hanging over the cab, I was afraid of making to sharp of a left turn and rip the stack off the truck.

-William
Jack of all trades, Master of none.
Miniature Construction Models
rrehbeiL
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2012 1:20:13 PM

Since the subject came up i have one question to the american audience about these "Yarders" whats the benefit ?? Here in sweden and the nordic countrys our forest industry is mainly machine based .. the few hand loggers (most guys who operate the machines also know how to use a saw) out there only do special cutting and in areas where the machines wont go or the ground, enviroment wont let em. Forwarders and Wheeled Harvesters is the main equipment out in the field, even extrem country, step hills etc they are used as long as its possible to run em they use em. Sometimes they use tracked harvesters .. not so common and Feller bunchers are even more rare, i know that way back in the days they used Skiiders but that was before some one invented the excellent Forwarder design.
Somehow the use of yarders and such seems very inefficent and man consuming as work method?
Only place i can remember ive seen them use a "yarder" was in Norway but they where harvesting hills with 60 degree inclines and more etc .. wich meant they had to do it manually and it was impossible to get the forwarder to climb the hills, same crew used both harvesters and forwarders normally but these hills where so steep u could hardly stand in them.
So whats the benefit ? or is it just so u can run more cheap labour and less machines ;) aka earn more money per tree.
WCollins
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2012 2:27:16 PM

rrehbeiL wrote:

So whats the benefit ? or is it just so u can run more cheap labour and less machines ;) aka earn more money per tree.

I never gave that any thought, Being from Vancouver island in BC, Yarder logging is just about the only type of logging that I grew up with. I would assume that in old growth forest on steep terrain like Vancouver island it's basicly the only way to log efficently because for the most part helicopter logging is more costly. But with the advent of plantation logging and the move from logging old growth to logging second growth forest on more favorable terrain and the cost of labor has made yarder logging more inefficent. Back in the day before the advent of purpose built fellers with self leveling turntables it was efficent.-Bill

-William
Jack of all trades, Master of none.
Miniature Construction Models
rrehbeiL
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2012 2:45:53 PM

WCollins well yeah iguess but like i said in Norway they do log very steep hills with forwarders and harvesters .. as long as u go straight up and straight down Smiley its no worries. Heli loggin i assume they use in very remote spots? where there isnt really any possible way to either build a road or to get the machines in without the cost going skyhigh, since helios are very very expensive to run.
Sometimes it seems like the progress halted somewhat, that they stall it to make for more employment places so people will have somewhere to go Smiley in a country with 9 million people we dont really have to struggle to maintain work for almost everybody.
Greasemonkey
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2012 6:17:38 PM

Something to keep in mind, is that there isn't nearly as much cut to length logging over here, as there is in Norway. Most logging in the areas they use yarders in, is tree length, so forwarders do not work. Another factor is the steepness of the ground they tend to work on. I'm not sure what the angles they work on in Norway are, but there is a lot of very steep ground where the yarders work over here. Yet another issue, is the size of the wood being harvested. Logs over here tend to be a bit larger diameter than the wood encountered in Norway in most cases.

So, when you add all of those factors up, it should show why forwarders and yarders aren't as popular.
Remko
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2012 6:35:58 PM

I have absolutely no clue whatsoever how this thing works, but I love it! Any action pics?

Remko

Ocean Traders Scale Models Facebook Group
Greasemonkey
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2012 6:47:14 PM

Here's a short video Remko.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksUyjHhcJy0
Linkbelt or Cat
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2012 9:21:19 PM

Most yarder ground has historically been big timber, its bigger than cut to length equipment can handle. it's not uncommon to pull 28 inch douglas fir trees that are 80-100 feet long. And, it's steep. As in you can't get a machine to go up or down it. Otherwise there would be shovel loggers working it. Also yarders can get ground that may be on the other side of a fishbearing stream or in other sensitive areas equipment isn't allowed to work. Another factor is the distance. Yarders can hang out 4000 plus feet of line with no problem allowing you to reach the opposite side of a canyon or over the edge of a vertical cliff. Yarders were designed out of neccesity for the west coast of america. They might not work well for other regions and that's why they are largely a rarity elsewhere in the world.

Jimmy

Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive!
HCF
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2012 9:33:26 PM

Absolutely! These machines can fly a turn 5000' in no time at all. Most of the big towers now days are used for the real long span stuff around here. 5-8k feet of skyline type of settings. The govt regulations on ground pressure and the OSHA rules pretty well keep the mechanical stuff on the flats. There arent many large towers around anymore after scrap went way up a couple years ago. I hope this helps.

-Jason
YouTube
Timberline Thinning Company
My Photostream

rrehbeiL
Posted: Tuesday, July 03, 2012 1:55:35 PM

Ive only seen em in operation in shows on discovery and history channel! and from what ive seen there in most cases the work could probably have been done with forwarders and harvesters on wheel so thats why i had to ask. Linkbelt or Cat and HCF i can see the use of it at long distances with obstacles like rivers or ravines and i agree with the conclusion its an american product and very unusual else where in the world. Of the three Sweden, Norway and Finland the only place ive heard em use it was in Norway cause of very steep terrain and full of boulders and stuff, here in Sweden ive never heard or seen em in use at all but on the other we where pretty early with both harvesters and forwarders in the forrest.
And there is obviously a lot of regulations etc that are different from this side of the pond from yours ;) We do haul full wood on forwarders here .. pole material and such its not that usual but it happens u only need alot more room to manouver thats about it. And yeah well u have the douglas... mighty big trees... and also a uniqum for north america and canada.
TimT
Posted: Thursday, July 05, 2012 11:55:52 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

If you want to see the Marc VI in action do a YouTube search for "Flying Cats" to see Dahlgren using it to transport Cat track skidders across a steep valley. The machine is the largest mobile tower yarder ever built. I have an article on that job that a forest magazine put out. Huge machine for sure....I think it has a 700 hp V-12 V-1710 Cummins for power.

Lots of big grapple yarders still in use on Vancouver Island and the west coast. High lead logging is still in use in west coast operations. See the thread "On vancouver island with giant trucks" to see a couple pics of the off-highway trucks they use..... I saw a stump that was cut rencently that was16 feet across. Some huge timber still being harvested on the Island.Logs that must weigh thirty tons are still being loaded.

As far as logging in Norway.... we use the same machines here in little timber...But the big stuff and west coast old growth can never be handled with those mechanical harvestors.... We have logging all across the USA and Canada of all kinds, but west coast high ground needs towers or grapple yarders... Not just steep there.... Cliffs and rocky ground.... Helicopters are in very heavy use also.... I just saw an S-64 skycrane from Erickson Aircrane working right in fron of me yarding to a landing very close by. I shot video of it in action. They were hoisting logs that weigh as much as ten tons each.