DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

sellers to stay away from Options · View
linkbelt290rb
Posted: Friday, June 08, 2012 1:28:21 PM

Groups: Member

Okay so this thread is for members to post people, websites, ebay members, that have screwed them. Im not making this thread to try and attack anyone, but so we can all be safe when buying, please dont gang up on people though, thanks, linkbelt290rb

Nothing runs like a deere with a cat on its back but the link belt ate both of them

admin
Posted: Friday, June 08, 2012 1:49:14 PM
Groups: Administration

I would not purchase anything from that DHS Company. I heard the owner is a real turkey. He is just out for the millions of dollars that are available to every diecast shop.

Chuck
linkbelt290rb
Posted: Friday, June 08, 2012 2:10:55 PM

admin wrote:
I would not purchase anything from that DHS Company. I heard the owner is a real turkey. He is just out for the millions of dollars that are available to every diecast shop.

Chuck
lolApplause

Nothing runs like a deere with a cat on its back but the link belt ate both of them

dain555
Posted: Friday, June 08, 2012 3:13:29 PM

admin wrote:

Chuck

That's not what I heard. I know he was just jumping up and down today on Facebook over getting 900 likes!!!!! I understand that that Chucky guy is just the cats meow to buy things from and the only gobbling he does is at his Open House on the Hot Dogs!!!!

Seriously though, I think that this is an important issue to bring forward as there are some questionable people out there and with the economy the way it is we all need the best we can get without worrying about losing our hard earned money. But it is also important to do some checking on the people you purchase from. Things like "give aways" or questionable "offers" buy private sellers should raise red flags as well as any stalling on the other person's part (we've had examples already of some questionable people).

In the cases of buying from private people the one phrase that comes to mind is, "You get what you pay for" and you must remember this when buying from people on Craig's List, Ebay or any other "Auction" or "Want Ad" site. Yes even DHS has some questionable sellers on their classifieds which is unfortunate but that is the nature of the beast. Since the advent of the internet questionable people have stretched the truth about themselves and their items they want to sell.

My bets suggestion is to research as much as possible about the person you want to buy things from. Check their rankings on Ebay to see if they might be trusted or watch for the signs that something is too good to be true like a really cheap price tag on something you know is really expensive, that could be a hook for the potential fish. Buying from places other than DHS, Roy Ferguson, +++++, #### and others is what is called a crap shoot and you stand the chance of getting burned.

I generally make it a point to not buy from anyone other than the aforementioned dealers unless they are at one of a couple places. Those places where I'd buy from a private person are Flea Markets and shows like Model Railroad Shows or Trade shows. Those places you can see what your buying and the person your buying from and also you can possibly make a deal on the item.

Buying from a private person over the internet (basically thru e-mails) needs a lot of caution because pictures can be doctored and details can be inflated!! So be cautious.

Dain

I'm a kid at heart, so I will play with any model construction vehicle from 1:87 scale to 1:1 scale!!!!

Age is a state of time NOT a state of mind!!
EastCoastFabricator
Posted: Friday, June 08, 2012 3:43:22 PM

Allow me to be the first to post Justin Gibbs, deereman, whatever the little poser goes by.

There are two rules for success: 1. Never tell everything you know.
dain555
Posted: Friday, June 08, 2012 3:46:51 PM

I'll second him and raise you cat365uhd!!

Dain

I'm a kid at heart, so I will play with any model construction vehicle from 1:87 scale to 1:1 scale!!!!

FiatAllisHD41
Posted: Friday, June 08, 2012 5:26:38 PM

It's sad that E-bay doesn't protect the seller or dealing with Pay-Pal. What a nightmare they both are,especially with all the losers that get away with it. Nice post.

“A tiger doesn't lose sleep over the opinion of sheep.” ― Shahir Zag

" An educated mind learns from his mistakes and corrects them. A dolt, on the other hand, lashes out and continues showing his ignorance."
-Unknown

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”― Arthur C. Clarke

"Anti-social behavior is a trait of intelligence in a world full of conformists" - Nikola Tesla

" If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur ". Paul Neal "Red" Adair {Wild Well Firefighter for those who live under rocks}

Lashlander
Posted: Friday, June 08, 2012 6:36:34 PM

Brent Gallant who has Sierra West Scale Models is a thief. I ordered and payed for a bunch of snatch blocks and pulleys for my Barge a year and 3 months ago and he never sent them. I gave the guy a break and didn't file a complaint with Pay Pal. Now it's too late. I emailed him several times and he always says he will get right on it. He's more geared for model trains. I've found several train forums he is part of. Soon as I get a chance I'm going to let everyone on them know he's a lying thief.
FiatAllisHD41
Posted: Friday, June 08, 2012 6:41:57 PM

Lashlander wrote:
Brent Gallant who has Sierra West Scale Models is a thief. I ordered and payed for a bunch of snatch blocks and pulleys for my Barge a year and 3 months ago and he never sent them. I gave the guy a break and didn't file a complaint with Pay Pal. Now it's too late. I emailed him several times and he always says he will get right on it. He's more geared for model trains. I've found several train forums he is part of. Soon as I get a chance I'm going to let everyone on them know he's a lying thief.

Extremely dislike people that don't do what they say. It's guys like him and many others that make a lame excuse as to why they can't go through with something. I say bring back chain gangs for people like these. Sorry about your loss.

“A tiger doesn't lose sleep over the opinion of sheep.” ― Shahir Zag

" An educated mind learns from his mistakes and corrects them. A dolt, on the other hand, lashes out and continues showing his ignorance."
-Unknown

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”― Arthur C. Clarke

"Anti-social behavior is a trait of intelligence in a world full of conformists" - Nikola Tesla

" If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur ". Paul Neal "Red" Adair {Wild Well Firefighter for those who live under rocks}

bryce
Posted: Friday, June 08, 2012 11:24:00 PM

Hi,

You probably saw my earlier post.... I like this idea. I like calling someone out on the carpet to keep them honest.

The bottom line is that a reputable person will ususally never have a complaint. However, some people discover they can screw someone with no consequences and they keep doing it.

So, yes, name them, but only if it is legit. We have all occasionally screwed up at some time or another.

Bryce

@ dain555,

I agree, however, the problem is that of all of the rare models that I have, probably around 100 pieces came by Ebay, because that was the only way I could get them. Ebay is such a global market and you are taking a chance. But, I have made about 250 Ebay purchases and have only had problems with 2 or 3. The odds are pretty good that you will not encounter an issue on Ebay.
dain555
Posted: Saturday, June 09, 2012 12:04:38 PM

Pat, chain gangs won't work as I doubt a good solid hard maple 4X4 across the head would. Unfortunately in the global economy of today the predators are numerous and the rest of us are their lambs.

bryce, you are correct as I stand somewhat corrected. But again unfortunately the bad apples spoil things for the rest. It's sort of like the motorcycle gangs, the bad ones like Hell's Angels spoiled it for all the other good ones.

Dain

hummer13
Posted: Saturday, June 09, 2012 5:28:33 PM

I know I have had a few bad deals on my part of a few deals, mostly this year, but I have had no control over these. Family responsiblities, sickness, my darn job I have to go to just about everyday. and last MOther nature ripping apart my shop and house have really killed my order times down.
So to anyone I have inconvienced this year I am sorry for these delays.
BUT there is one thing I do with my business and that is I do not ask for money upfront. I really do not like taking peoples money and holding on to it while they are waiting for me to finish up a build. As you have read up top I do not have much time for models as I once did so I have had to cut my build time way down.
I just had to add to this with that message.
Thanks everyone for understanding
Jason

Nikl Scale Models
nikl scale models shapeways store
DeereMan
Posted: Sunday, June 10, 2012 12:42:08 PM

EastCoastFabricator wrote:
Allow me to be the first to post Justin Gibbs, deereman, whatever the little poser goes by.
Dont get me messed in with him!!

Deere C & F.
dain555
Posted: Sunday, June 10, 2012 12:55:32 PM

But Jason, we all understand issues like Mother Nature especially those of us who live in states like Texas, Florida, and some of the other places that get really nasty weather like Tornadoes and Hurricanes. Also most of us know about the work/family stuff too.

What the main problem is, is the "kids" who try to take advantage of the modelers/collectors who are generally trusting and send money thinking they are going to get something right back and don't!! Most of us on here pretty much know the guys like you Jason (hummer13), Anthony (Antho) and a couple of the others who build and sell the way it's supposed to be done and that has given you guys the great reputations you have.

We are after the "kids" who think they can be someone their not by their actions they say they are nothing more than con artists!!!

Dain

noraztrans
Posted: Sunday, June 10, 2012 2:11:00 PM

I figured i better throw my cents in. What happens when you have some like gibbs, is you consatly get screwed then when someone comes along you have to second guess if it is him using another alias or not . This is not good for the hobby, i have had far more good experiances than bad ...but the bad ones have been pretty ugly and they all revolve around our favorite little "kid" This thread is a good idea and brings attention to the people to steer clear of so wee can to continue and enjoy the hobby. In conclusion i would like to say this ...For those of you who do these silly things you must not work very hard for your money because had you un-glued your lazy thumbs off the nintendo you would relise that other people actualy have sweat rolling off there brows and earn every cent and for you to try and take it from them is...well, grounds for a drak alley beating.

HAMMER TO FIT...PAINT TO MATCH!

The ironic use of IT IV emissions technology on forestry equipment…. “Burning the woods down while trying to save the ozone”
max
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2012 11:04:30 AM

'bought my first few models from Paul Upshall Entreprises out of Brampton, Ontario in the early 90's.
Very poor and slow service, imposssible to find out when and IF you'd get the scale model you ordered.He might not be in business anymore.Otherwise, my biggest issue is not a seller to stay away from as much as it is of the way they ship.I mean first thing i always ask is wether they ship with u.p.s. or not.If so, i'd stay away from them.
Max.

Cat 245.....Now and Forever

I am looking for industrial auction brochures from Ritchie Bros, Miller & Miller, Forke Bros, First Team Auction, Max Rouse, etc from the 70's, 80's and 90's.I am a collector and heavy equipment enthusiast and these pamphlets are loaded with nice pictures of cleaned and freshly painted equipment.Thet don't have much value once the sale is over but they are a great help to me in preserving the memory of machines that are no longer being built.Please, help my hobby by looking in your old storage boxes and file folders for these old auction sale brochures.Your help is much appreciated.
woady
Posted: Thursday, June 14, 2012 5:25:28 PM

I think there was once a dude called Sunkist Diecast... Smiley

Jon
Manchester
My Flickr Stream
JohnGalt
Posted: Thursday, June 28, 2012 12:22:41 AM

Mitch Gomez. Liar
chevyman
Posted: Saturday, July 07, 2012 10:06:17 PM

Hello,

I thought I'd share an interaction I had with someone in the classifieds today. I hate to post this with all the drama lately but I feel it's legitimate and will make others aware.

I answered a ad by Jake Eichler (jakeeichler@aol.com) that was posted yesterday for the TWH 4100W. There were other models listed too. I said that I was interested in it for $275 + shipping (his price) as long as it was still mint. After a email or two we agreed to deal so I told him to bill me through paypal. Jake didn't know how to so I told him the steps.

After a few more emails he asked if I could personally pay him since he incurred fees from previous paypal transactions. I said no due to scamming that has gone on. I also asked why he didnt know how to send a invoice since he mentioned previous transactions. I to brought up the fact he had a second ad with the same models at lower prices that he posted following the first ad ( they were both up long enough that I hope some of tou saw it). Jake caims that he only had one ad and that someone else posted it. Same models and same email jakeeichler@aol.com. Je then states he checked it out and deleted it. Well if someone else posts an ad them you cant delete it, so obviously he was lying!

I emailed him saying that I was no longer comfortable with the deal and would not buy the model. I told him sorry and that I hoped he would respect my decision as it just didn't feel right. Jake responded: no problem, have a good day. Then a little while late I recieved 3 emails calling me names, homosexual comments and imature comments about the forum/ classifieds in general.

I thought I'd let this be known for others to be cautious in dealing with this person. I have all the emails to backup everything I have said.

Mike
bryce
Posted: Saturday, July 07, 2012 10:09:49 PM

Yep, I also saw two ads posted by him; the first one and then later the second one with prices lowered.

Too bad!

Man, I am just sick of people in general.

Back when I was young, you just got your a#% kicked if you acted inappropriately.

Bryce