DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

See,I'm not crazy after all... Options · View
FiatAllisHD41
Posted: Wednesday, May 02, 2012 10:54:32 AM
Groups: Member

A while back I made a wrecking ball and then attached it to a Komatsu PC-1000. It was at the time a little odd,depending on whether one knows better or not. I didn't ,but it was a pretty neat build just making the prototype wrecking ball.

I deleted the picture of it mounted on the PC-1100 ,sorry. Instead I bring you a soundless video of some Caterpillar hoe, beating the poop out of concrete. I'll bet that a great way to relieve stress,probably gets boring real fast.

Here's a video of a machine breaking concrete with a wrecking ball, sorry no sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3SoLotPvck

“A tiger doesn't lose sleep over the opinion of sheep.” ― Shahir Zag

" An educated mind learns from his mistakes and corrects them. A dolt, on the other hand, lashes out and continues showing his ignorance."
-Unknown

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”― Arthur C. Clarke

"Anti-social behavior is a trait of intelligence in a world full of conformists" - Nikola Tesla

" If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur ". Paul Neal "Red" Adair {Wild Well Firefighter for those who live under rocks}

Eric Pioszak
Posted: Wednesday, May 02, 2012 11:55:04 AM

FiatAllisHD41 wrote:
A while back I made a wrecking ball and then attached it to a Komatsu PC-1000. It was at the time a little odd,depending on whether one knows better or not. I didn't ,but it was a pretty neat build just making the prototype wrecking ball.

I deleted the picture of it mounted on the PC-1100 ,sorry. Instead I bring you a soundless video of some Caterpillar hoe, beating the poop out of concrete. I'll bet that a great way to relieve stress,probably gets boring real fast.

Here's a video of a machine breaking concrete with a wrecking ball, sorry no sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3SoLotPvck

I don't know who ever doubted you, Balling is still a viable method of breaking concrete. one day when there wasn't much to do at the yard, my old foreman was showing me how he used to swing a ball with a 977L Track loader, by counter rotating the tracks and dropping the boom at the same time, you can whip the ball, and hit freakin' hard!

I've even rigged up an old fire hydrant to a Bobcat 334 Mini and balled with it.

Though not rigged, here's another method: called drop-balling, using a magnet and an old 9000# elevator counterweight

Eric W. Pioszak, Operating Engineers Local 701, Portland, Oregon

METAL TRACKS AVAILABLE AGAIN!
Cab guards Available again!
Grapples Available again!
Industrialscalemodels[at symbol]Gmail.com
a Cutter
Posted: Wednesday, May 02, 2012 11:58:02 AM

Eric Pioszak wrote:

I've even rigged up an old fire hydrant to a Bobcat 334 Mini and balled with it.

That would be some entertaining video footage!
CraneInnovation
Posted: Wednesday, May 02, 2012 12:21:37 PM

Neat video! Would love to see some more "innovative" wrecking balls! Reminds me of Junkyard Wars episode where they used a V8 engine block. Ended up just running the truck into the competition block walls to take them down.....quite a hoot!

Stephen SetteDucati has a great video showing an old 150 ton Link-Belt with a ball versus a Komatsu Hi-Reach (PC1000?) taking down an old mill building. The wrecking ball demolished (heh) the Komatsu and got at least 2/3 of the building down before the Komatsu finished its third.

Now, of course, it wasn't a straight up competition and the Komatsu was obviously chosen to work more carefully on its end due to another structure right next to it. The Link Belt could just pound away on the clear end. But it did make me think...

(Warning! Rant ahead.)

I think it does make a compelling case that after 50 years we really haven't made substantial strides in overall productivity. I think many manufacturers have spent the last couple decades embarking on science projects centered on fine tuning hydraulics and sensor responses while neglecting any real progress. And the cost is massive.

Yes, we have made marginal gains in productivity here and there along with safety and efficiency increases, but have we really made that much of a difference with all this technology? Functionally, using a Manitowoc 4000 or a brandy-new uber $$$ 150 ton Liebherr is largely a wash in all cases except setup time, which doesn't make a terrible difference to many users. Our crews can put a 4000 together in just about a day. We are awash in groundbreaking technology, but most of what we did with it was make equipment quieter, cleaner, and given them pristine control responses. All good things, but it seems like Mr. LeTourneau would be disappointed that that's all we can come up with by now.

I think we need to lay off a few of the science projects and get back to real innovation. I don't really care how many widgets are on the control loop, I still have to lay it down in the dirt to put it together. A load moment is a load moment. At least the 31000 is finally starting to take us out of the "stack heavy things on the back" approach to something a bit more advanced...

/End Rant. Sorry!

The fundamental aim....is to do everything that is attempted in a first-class way."
-Pierre S. Dupont
dain555
Posted: Wednesday, May 02, 2012 2:28:13 PM

I have seen numerous things used for demolition over my years. I've seen track hoes drop steel weights, concrete objects and use hydraulic hammers. I've seen and done concrete breaking using nothing more than the bucket on a regular tractor backhoe by slamming the bucket down hard with the teeth onto the concrete (kind of jars the living heck out of the hoe and operator though and is "old school" demo stuff). I've seen cranes use steel plates as a "cutter" that they dropped thru buildings and there was one pic on here where the crane had an old ripper like would be used on a small D3 type dozer to demo a building. Then in the old days they used clam shell buckets as wrecking balls too. Some times they would put old concrete in the clam for weight or just scoop up a bucket of dirt.

I have even seen trackhoes with thumbs use pieces of concrete/steel as drop weights to demo stuff!!!

The basic thing to remember is not how "efficient" a machine is made but how inventive the operator can be!!! Unlike the one TV commercial that has gone around here in the US (I forget what it is for) that depicts a demo of a building using a giant pink teddy bear (NO guys it was a stuffed bear not some hotty in a pink teddy)!!

Dain

I'm a kid at heart, so I will play with any model construction vehicle from 1:87 scale to 1:1 scale!!!!

Age is a state of time NOT a state of mind!!
Eric Pioszak
Posted: Wednesday, May 02, 2012 2:47:18 PM

dain555 wrote:

The basic thing to remember is not how "efficient" a machine is made but how inventive the operator can be!!!

Or how creative the fab shop is:

My favorite is still the whip-Hammer, custom built by Brandenburg works like a sledge hammer, and clearly efficient as hell, since the #1 company in the coutry has one built for everything from Bobcats, to Cat 980's to Liebherr 984's. I have yet to run one myself, but one of the best wreckers I've ever known had says there's nothing quite like it.

linkbelt290rb
Posted: Wednesday, May 02, 2012 5:26:28 PM

i would like to see a 334 doing that

Nothing runs like a deere with a cat on its back but the link belt ate both of them

Eric Pioszak
Posted: Thursday, May 03, 2012 4:23:26 AM

a Cutter wrote:
Eric Pioszak wrote:

Ah yes, but that was the good old days, (a whole three years ago) when you didn't need a youtube video of everything from eating your morning cornflakes, to fluffing your pillow at night and every little thing that happened in between... Whistle

If I ever do it again, I'll be sure to get a video...

Landclearer
Posted: Thursday, May 03, 2012 9:04:32 PM

Quote:
one day when there wasn't much to do at the yard, my old foreman was showing me how he used to swing a ball with a 977L Track loader, by counter rotating the tracks and dropping the boom at the same time, you can whip the ball, and hit freakin' hard!

That must be a real special 977 if it can counter rotate seeing as how they had 3 forward, 3 reverse and steered with cluthes!
Eric Pioszak
Posted: Thursday, May 03, 2012 10:25:12 PM

Landclearer wrote:
Quote:
one day when there wasn't much to do at the yard, my old foreman was showing me how he used to swing a ball with a 977L Track loader, by counter rotating the tracks and dropping the boom at the same time, you can whip the ball, and hit freakin' hard!

That must be a real special 977 if it can counter rotate seeing as how they had 3 forward, 3 reverse and steered with cluthes!

busted...ok, I misspoke myself d'oh! you are right, it was not counter-rotating, simply turning hard stopping one track. ours only had two and two for forward and reverse though, third gear was there, but locked out by a plate welded to the control "U"

FiatAllisHD41
Posted: Friday, May 04, 2012 10:21:34 PM

Finally took another picture of the wreck ball on the PC-1100.

">http://

“A tiger doesn't lose sleep over the opinion of sheep.” ― Shahir Zag

" An educated mind learns from his mistakes and corrects them. A dolt, on the other hand, lashes out and continues showing his ignorance."
-Unknown

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”― Arthur C. Clarke

"Anti-social behavior is a trait of intelligence in a world full of conformists" - Nikola Tesla

" If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur ". Paul Neal "Red" Adair {Wild Well Firefighter for those who live under rocks}

a Cutter
Posted: Saturday, May 05, 2012 12:43:49 AM

Eric Pioszak wrote:
a Cutter wrote:
Eric Pioszak wrote:

Ah yes, but that was the good old days, (a whole three years ago) when you didn't need a youtube video of everything from eating your morning cornflakes, to fluffing your pillow at night and every little thing that happened in between... Whistle

If I ever do it again, I'll be sure to get a video...

Fine.......I was thinking of becoming a Youtuber and starting off my miner celebrity with a short clip of me trimming my nose hair, but I guess not now as it seems nobody would appreciate it.

I guess what I should have said is; that would be entertaining to watch or see happening.
jdofmemi
Posted: Saturday, May 05, 2012 1:03:09 AM

RE: the 977
If you hold a clutch and break and go forward, then reverse fast, it gives almost the same motion as counterrotation.

On innovative breaking methods, I once went to demo a slab that was supposed to be 8" thick. It was really 22" thick. The old timers who poured it were too lazy to grade the dirt, they just leveled it with concrete! I got a corner broke off, about 6' X 6' roughly square, and picked it up in the 4-in-1 on a 544 JD loader. I left it stick out the bottom a couple of feet, and squeezed it in. Then I would lift the boom a few feet in the air and hit float. It was crude, and hard on the machine, but it got the job done and kept us on a critical schedule. We were hundreds of miles from any source of proper equipment to bring in for the job. We had a small breaker on a backhoe, and that was enough for the 8" slab we thought was there. At the end of the day, what matters to the customer is that the job was done and everyone was safe.

I love the whip hammer. I need to find time and material to build one someday.

Jerry