DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Selling on Ebay Options · View
Quinella
Posted: Saturday, September 25, 2021 6:05:32 PM

Groups: Member

I haven't sold anything on Ebay in 1 1/2 years. I just tried to list something and was unable. I contacted Ebay and they told me that I had to open a new Seller Account and give them access to my checking account so they could manage my payments. Not a chance in Hell will I do that. ANyone else sell with Managed payments? CAW
Cat345bl
Posted: Saturday, September 25, 2021 8:49:48 PM

I am with you too and I stopped selling on Ebay towards the end of last year for the same reason and I refuse to sign up for managed payments. I think managed payments is a major mistake for Ebay that will reduce the amount of sellers (and buyers) and the CEO should resign over it. I sold on Ebay as a hobby to fund my 1/50 model purchases and I have bought less diecast due to it. I am now on several Facebook groups and can sell on there using PayPal but the problem is that I have a smaller selling audience. Never really understood the falling out of Ebay and PayPal and how they could not make it work out since Ebay once owned PayPal.

-Mike, Collecting 1/50th Construction Diecast Since 2003.
View My Collection Here, As of 09/21/23

dain555
Posted: Sunday, September 26, 2021 1:08:50 PM

I think one of the big reasons eBay and PayPal had issues was because of the amount of PayPal accounts that got hacked!!! I know I had a PayPal account but I kept getting notices from them about stuff I was supposed to have bought. I've ONLY used PayPal like 3 maybe 4 times to pay for something I bought and it's because I really didn't have a choice. It's like Amazon, I've deleted all my payment choices on the site and actually deleted my account with Amazon and I still get bogus emails saying I ordered stuff from them when I don't even have an account!!! Unfortunately this country (the USA) does NOTHING to combat the hacking of these places, I mean they can't even stop the calls for your expiring car warranty let alone any meaningful breech of account security at these companies!! Just my input and also remember that places like ebay want that information to charge you more for their services than you would actually want to and do it secretly behind your back so when you get your bank statement it would be too late to do anything!!

Dain

I'm a kid at heart, so I will play with any model construction vehicle from 1:87 scale to 1:1 scale!!!!

Age is a state of time NOT a state of mind!!
Rivera2171
Posted: Sunday, September 26, 2021 1:31:21 PM

Yep I stopped selling on eBay too for the same reasons. I had a good thing going with funding my hobby in a separate account and Ebay screwed all that up. I have no idea why they thought it was a good idea to make such a drastic change. If it aint broke, don't fix it.

👍
dain555
Posted: Monday, September 27, 2021 2:12:15 PM

I'm thinking it has to do with the way people have been doing stuff during the pandemic. I mean people haven't been paying their rent and utilities because they had no fear of being evicted!! So if people didn't pay their bills then I have a feeling that ebay figured they'd get stiffed as well especially with a lot of people turning to eBay and other online sources to buy stuff because they couldn't go out to buy stuff.

That's just my thought as to why they started to require linking an account from a bank to an eBay account. They just wanted to make sure that they were going to be paid.

Dain

I'm a kid at heart, so I will play with any model construction vehicle from 1:87 scale to 1:1 scale!!!!

Rivera2171
Posted: Tuesday, September 28, 2021 10:27:14 PM

I Think they split their relationship with PP because they just wanted more of the share...

👍
EastCoastFabricator
Posted: Wednesday, October 20, 2021 11:29:35 AM

Yes, I run a business selling on eBay. Managed payments really isn't a big deal. If you are smart, you have a dedicated checking account to handle your sales (even PayPal) anyways.

There are two rules for success: 1. Never tell everything you know.
kokosing Const Co
Posted: Friday, October 22, 2021 12:31:53 PM

Done selling on ebay myself. Tired of how both ebay and paypal take their cuts and you end up with peanuts at the end. It's no wonder why people charge so much for shipping, that's basically how you're making up money that you've lost. Not to mention the fantastic ebay sellers out there that have driven up prices of models for no reason at all but to benefit themselves. Here's to you diecastmatt and cat5130, clowns.
modelmaniac
Posted: Friday, October 22, 2021 3:57:47 PM

I fully agree,with the whole inflated prices,thing.If the actual item,has not been overpriced,by way too much(usually three,four times its retail price),the shipping,can be double the cost of the item.Ridiculous.When I know,I can get the same thing,from a shop,brand new.It ends up being completely unviable.I was going to try and sell,on ebay.Not now,I have read this thread.Thanks,for the heads up.I dread to think what sort of costs are involved,here in the U.K.
Quinella
Posted: Sunday, October 24, 2021 9:24:18 PM

Well, I thought I had seen everything on Ebay. I just found a seller who charges you $2.00 to come to his place and "pick up" your purchase. So if I live say 4 miles away from him and want to drive over to his house(store), he is going to charge me $2.00 to hand it to me!!!!!! Ain't Ebay great????? CAW
brian falcone
Posted: Monday, October 25, 2021 3:27:35 PM

Funny you mention the cat5130 guy...he gave me a load of crap years ago for listing similar models as him for a fraction of the price. Sent me a nasty message because I mentioned in my description that a 4in1 bucket could be used as a dozer.....said I was listing a backhoe snd I was trying to mislead buyers.
dain555
Posted: Tuesday, October 26, 2021 2:54:23 PM

I seldom ever buy off of ebay as the seller usually wants 3 to 4 times what the models are worth. Also don't get me started on their model descriptions like "new in box, only removed for pictures", uh last I knew this could be a "new" model but in most places I've shopped if the factory seal is broken on the box and the model has been removed for any reason it's not considered "new". It may be "mint condition" but new to me means that once it's made and sealed in the box from the factory no one else has touched it.

Also with ebay, I think some people treat it like thhereeir own store where they think they can charge what ever they want!! I mean if I'm looking for say a Conrad LTM 1045-3.1 I'd be able to find say 3, all with different prices for the exact same piece (color and livery) and 2 of the 3 are very close in price (about retail plus maybe 10%) and the third is like 3 times retail and shipping on all 3 are the same. Then if I look at say DHS and a couple other places I see the same exact model, brand new in the sealed box for less money including shipping than the 3 on eBay why would I not go with the trusted dealer instead???

Anyways, sorry for the rant but as I said, I have never gotten anything thru ebay. Oh and I remember a few years ago that someone on here got taken by an ebay seller on a couple models. I guess the term "buyer beware" always comes to mind when getting stuff on Bay for several reasons one of which is you don't know who your buying from and where they got the stuff your buying!! I remember one of our forum members who had gotten robbed and I believe his stuff wound up on ebay for sale!! So that's my rant, just be careful when dealing with ebay!!!

Dain