DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

D10T transport accident Options · View
digggerr
Posted: Monday, May 31, 2021 9:55:50 PM
Groups: Member

I'm guessing Ken W. will know what happened here on I=39? The driver and his dog are OK is all I can find out about this. I have driven this road in the last year and it's not in good shape with huge potholes.

My two hypotheses are; (1) A driver swerved into the truck's lane or brake-checked him? (2) Somehow multiple potholes just happened to be the perfect distance apart to bounce the trailer and flip the load.

Regardless, I'm impressed that the D10T cab appears to be intact after rolling. Sure, it's soft soil where it landed but there had to be an initial hard initial impact.

kcmtoys
Posted: Tuesday, June 01, 2021 10:59:17 AM

This ones a mystery so far. I haven't heard yet what happened. Unless a piece of heavy equipment falls off a cliff, or into a lake, they are never totaled and can be repaired pretty easily. There is no front end damage to the tractor, so that leaves out hitting anything. Trailers never bounce with that much weight on and the trailer deck and rear end appear to be alright. Where the neck connects to the deck appears to be intact.

1. Trailer deck riding too low on the front ( D-10 on a flat deck, no beam) and hit a pavement separation, chains broke and it came forward hitting the neck and flipping the jeep and tractor.

2. As digger said, someone "brake checked him" in the inside lane, he swerved severely to the right, then tried to recover.

Still can't figure how the Cat landed that far away sitting up on it's butt?

Will add more if I find out anything.

Further info: One of the driver's kids posted, supposedly "He dropped his glasses and reached for them out of reflex and lost control" Still seems fishy to me.
modelmaniac
Posted: Tuesday, June 01, 2021 12:17:32 PM

Impressive.Great ad for CAT.If the driver was in that cab,when it rolled,during operation.He would just be shaken.That cab stayed intact,even with the weight of the machine on it.Uninjured driver,as long as the belt was on.Have seen a picture,of a chinese copy,that fell off a low loader,during unloading,crushing operator,no cab during transport.It was in exactly the same position as that CAT,before being pulled upright.
ChandlerYohn
Posted: Sunday, June 06, 2021 10:44:02 PM

That wrecker crane lift of the D10 would make for an incredible diorama. It's amazing and thankful that nobody was injured. Thanks so much for sharing.

Instagram ChandlerYohn YouTube