DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

weathering models Options · View
Jamiescotland
Posted: Saturday, May 15, 2021 1:53:56 PM

Groups: Member

Really getting into weathering now as I have quite a few old and knackered models which weren't good for much. My plan is to create a vehicle graveyard in a quarry with rows of old rusted machines. My inspiration is a WW2 airfield just outside the village where I used to live, which is now the home of hundreds of vintage earthmovers and military vehicles, all rusting away and being poached for parts. (Folkingham Airfield, Lincolnshire, UK).
I have a few machines weathered so far. Great fun to do!!

Jamiescotland
Posted: Saturday, May 15, 2021 1:55:21 PM

Rivera2171
Posted: Saturday, May 15, 2021 3:30:22 PM

Wow!

đź‘Ť
Paul R
Posted: Saturday, May 15, 2021 3:54:26 PM

That is a great idea. I live very close to Folkingham but didn’t know the airfield was used for that purpose now. Is it accessible to the public?

Paul R
Jamiescotland
Posted: Saturday, May 15, 2021 6:41:18 PM

Hi Paul, there are public footpaths all around the perimeter of the airfield, but the actual airfield where all the machines are is private. When I was a kid I used to just cycle in and explore, care-free. I have since been back a few years ago but kept a low profile and entered through the woods off one of the paths near a big old Letourneau scraper. The owner is in Kirky Underwood so if you wanted to do things by the book, you could ask there - machinery sales in the centre of the village. It's a great place to see true weathering on a grand scale! It's spooky too!
Ironstef70
Posted: Sunday, May 16, 2021 11:00:34 AM

Jamiescotland wrote:
Hi Paul, there are public footpaths all around the perimeter of the airfield, but the actual airfield where all the machines are is private. When I was a kid I used to just cycle in and explore, care-free. I have since been back a few years ago but kept a low profile and entered through the woods off one of the paths near a big old Letourneau scraper. The owner is in Kirky Underwood so if you wanted to do things by the book, you could ask there - machinery sales in the centre of the village. It's a great place to see true weathering on a grand scale! It's spooky too!

You've done a great job on these workbench remnants indeed. Looks like you have caught Stefen's disease too Smiley

Using cheap models (as Corgis or such) is a great idea for starters as you dare trying things you would not likely do on that nice CCM model.
I used to do my first trials on cheap HO freight cars (boxcars and hoppers are best due to the exposed surfaces), but I wish to do some in 1:50 too eventually.
I'd be happy to do as good as you did, and you must have watched a few tutorials before doing such successful end results.

Besides the obvious details that pertains to scale models (smooth track wheels instead of actual sprockets, for instance) they look very realistic.

Congratulations on this successful entry in that new dimension of scale modeling!

And if by change some of you happen to fool around that equipment graveyard, please feed with pictures... Wink

Stef