DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Any zinc pest issues ever seen with NZG or YCC models? I assume not but I think its an interesting point Options · View
Diecastmania
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2019 6:17:43 PM

Groups: Member

I've seen that late 90's early 2000s NZG factory liveried models such as the "Isarkies" O&Ks have suffered from zinc rot. My MH5.5 has broken linkage and several cylinder rods. Others have reported their RH30Es coming apart.

- Joe
eef7260
Posted: Sunday, November 24, 2019 4:44:46 AM

Recently bought a Corgi flatbed trailer from Ebay.
This had a very serious form of zinc pest.
The advertisement did say that it was bothered by metal fatique and as a result had some problems with paint bubbles
But it was perfectly suited for a renovation.
The model already broke when shipped, and when I had it in my hands came the second major break.
Hardly any force was needed for this, the model has really become very vulnerable as a result of the zinc pest.
Later I discovered that certain series of corgi are notorious because of this problem.
And that the model is also not suitable for a renovation because the process does not stop, and ultimately the entire model falls apart.
The seller was aware that it was a known problem and gave me a full refund.
But he should not have offered it for sale in the first place , a waste of his and my time and shipping costs.
Well learned a lesson here, luckily not a very expensive one.

The pictures from the green trailer are mine ,
the picture from the Corgi Volvo F88 is from the net as an example.
Full link is here : Corgi Volvo , Zinc pest
Look how crooked the trailer is, and if you try to straighten it, it will immediately break.

Removed al the parts for a future project , but i gone keep the bed also to see how it progresses in the coming years.

Eef

IMG_20191122_113126 by eef 7260, on Flickr

IMG_20191122_113136 by eef 7260, on Flickr

90695j by eef 7260, on Flickr

***Flickr American cranes group***3D printed crane parts at Shapeways***3D printed crane parts at I.materialise

eef7260
Posted: Monday, December 16, 2019 5:32:28 PM

Thought this was also interesting to share.
This is under the paint layer.
See how it develops in the coming years.
And whether there is a difference how fast it goes with and without paint layer.
Next update in 5 years. Teeth

IMG_20191216_132645 by eef 7260, on Flickr

IMG_20191216_132545 by eef 7260, on Flickr

***Flickr American cranes group***3D printed crane parts at Shapeways***3D printed crane parts at I.materialise

Weserhutte
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2020 8:40:11 PM

A Conrad example to add to the list.

gstoddard
Posted: Thursday, January 30, 2020 1:45:48 PM

From what I've read, the presence of lead or other impurities can create this problem, but equally important are the long-term storage conditions for a model. Generally the lower the humidity and the more stable the temperature the better. I've seen many models, not just construction models, that have this problem and frequently they have been stored in less than ideal conditions. Plastic totes in a garage or storage building can be murder on these models, especially if left there for years and years. Few companies are likely to invest in 100.00% pure materials but most collectors can figure out a way to store them in such a way as to minimize the problem.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zinc_pest
Jamiescotland
Posted: Friday, January 31, 2020 6:08:09 AM

What a shame about the Conrad Case excavator. That's the first case of a Conrad model suffering from zinc pest that I've seen.

Gstoddard, the storage conditions do not cause zinc pest, that's very important. They will just speed it up or suppress it, but there has to be the 'infected' metal to begin with.
Jamiescotland
Posted: Friday, January 31, 2020 6:10:03 AM

p.s. I bought a little 1:50 metal tractor by Britains last year (Friction Drive). Brand new in a bubble blister pack. It looked ok at a glance (and from the photos on Ebay), but when I took it out it just about fell apart in my hands.
gstoddard
Posted: Friday, January 31, 2020 4:32:03 PM

Jamiescotland wrote:
the storage conditions do not cause zinc pest, that's very important. They will just speed it up or suppress it, but there has to be the 'infected' metal to begin with.

Absolutely. I would suppose there is some level of impurity that would be essentially be a tipping point. Zinc prices shot up for a while 10-15 years ago and I wonder if during that time, more sub-standard material was finding it's way to the factories...
Cat345bl
Posted: Monday, February 03, 2020 12:23:28 AM

I remember seeing that Conrad Case Excavator for sale on Ebay about a year or two ago. The seller was selling an identical model that has not issues. Interesting too how it is only the super structure that was affected and everything else looks fine. Also read on here that some First Gear Models especially trucks can develop Zinc pest too.

-Mike, Collecting 1/50th Construction Diecast Since 2003.
View My Collection Here, As of 03/29/24