DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Conrad Mack R and U Models. Options · View
kcmtoys
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2019 1:22:41 PM

Groups: Member

The Conrad Mack started out as a "U" model, or DM. It came with the Talbert lowboy trailer and commissioned by Bob Nickenbacher from Peoria, IL. As a U, DM model, it scales out perfectly. Then they decided to make the R model. They used the same frame, U fuel tanks, hood, bumper and just modified the front of the cab. These would have been DM's, dump and mixer heavier chassis. A short hood, and the shorter “bumper to back of cab” distance, made them useful in straight trucks and in semi-tractors used in congested cities, but caused the engine to intrude into the passenger compartment. To compensate the cab was offset to the left: the engine “doghouse” intruded into the passenger footwell but left the driver’s position intact.
The U was basically a short R, while the DM was an extra heavy duty version of the U often used in 6X4 construction trucks. Like the RMM, the DMM was all wheel drive, but had not only a short hood/offset cab, but also a set back front axle, requiring a model specific fiberglass hood/fender arrangement.

100_1486 (1) by Ken Wheeler, on Flickr"/>

100_1487 (1) by Ken Wheeler, on Flickr"/>

100_1488 (1) by Ken Wheeler, on Flickr"/>

100_1489 (1) by Ken Wheeler, on Flickr"/>
Quinella
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2019 2:22:38 PM

Thanks for all this info on these different versions of the Mack. I have the offset version and it is really cool. What i still cannot believe is this Conrad version is 1:50. I know it scales out, but boy does it seem small compared to the Conrad Freightliners and Conrad Paystars. It seems even smaller than the 1:50 Matchbox/Dinky Mack 1956 B-1, which is a great model. But your knowledge is invaluable. But you should always talk about COES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Have you ever driven the International COE with the front axle setback and the giant sleeper? Craig
modelmaniac
Posted: Saturday, July 20, 2019 12:13:04 PM

Always been curious why that cab was offset.The engine intrusion,explains it all,perfectly.Never knew that.Thanks for the info,I would never have thought about that.Love MACK trucks.
Cat345bl
Posted: Saturday, July 20, 2019 1:25:33 PM

Hi Ken, thank you for the side by side comparison pics of the trucks! I never knew that Conrad did both a U Model, and a DM Model, I always thought it was one or the other. Looking at my Maroon Tamden Axle Mack Dump Truck, it appears to be an U model. I always thought that the hood did not look right on this truck, especially the grille but I guess Conrad did this on purpose since they made the truck without a Mack license.

-Mike, Collecting 1/50th Construction Diecast Since 2003.
View My Collection Here, As of 03/29/24

kcmtoys
Posted: Saturday, July 20, 2019 2:14:07 PM

Quinella wrote:
Thanks for all this info on these different versions of the Mack. I have the offset version and it is really cool. What i still cannot believe is this Conrad version is 1:50. I know it scales out, but boy does it seem small compared to the Conrad Freightliners and Conrad Paystars. It seems even smaller than the 1:50 Matchbox/Dinky Mack 1956 B-1, which is a great model. But your knowledge is invaluable. But you should always talk about COES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Have you ever driven the International COE with the front axle setback and the giant sleeper? Craig

Thanks Q. I never drove one of those JB Hunt specials! But, I did own a Freightliner COE. It had a 400 Cummins Big Cam III, 13 spd, and 411 rears. Would not go much over 68 mph, but pulled the hills and mountains like a champ.

truck pictures12242018_0002 by Ken Wheeler, on Flickr"/>

truck pictures12242018_0003 by Ken Wheeler, on Flickr"/>

truck pictures12242018_0001 by Ken Wheeler, on Flickr"/>

truck pictures12242018_0004 by Ken Wheeler, on Flickr"/>

truck pictures12242018_0005 by Ken Wheeler, on Flickr"/>

Exkvate3140
Posted: Saturday, July 20, 2019 4:06:17 PM

Ken nice description of both models, have you ever driven a DM800 with a quad box? I have driven both a DM800 and a B81 both ten wheel dumps and owned an R600 with a quad box. They are not an easy gear system to master, I could drive it, but not like drivers who grew up on them. I have a couple of each of the Conrad Mack’s they are nice models, I turned one into a ten wheel dump with a Don Mills dump box.
Steve
RFSALES
Posted: Saturday, July 20, 2019 10:00:14 PM

CAT245bl mentions Conrad made the Mack models with out a license. I had a shipment seized by US Customs because Conrad shipped models without a license. Mack tried to get Conrad to sign an agreement but Conrad refused. Randy DeLilio was in charge of licensing and he could have told Customs to crush he models I talked him into letting the models be shipped back to Germany.
I asked Conrad to ship the model back by post office with no name on the invoice, and they did but the was the end of the Conrad Mack models being shipped to the US.
This incident lead to the license and production of the International 5600i models.
kcmtoys
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2019 1:42:57 PM

Exkvate3140 wrote:
Ken nice description of both models, have you ever driven a DM800 with a quad box? I have driven both a DM800 and a B81 both ten wheel dumps and owned an R600 with a quad box. They are not an easy gear system to master, I could drive it, but not like drivers who grew up on them. I have a couple of each of the Conrad Mack’s they are nice models, I turned one into a ten wheel dump with a Don Mills dump box.
Steve

Steve, I learned how to drive on a B61 Mack winch truck with a quadraplex 2 stick 5x4. The first truck I bought was a Mack RS700L V8 with a 2 stick 6 speed (5 on one and low, direct, and reverse) on the second. This gave you 5 speeds in reverse! Then I went to a Mack 12 spd air shifter (had a Low low lock out) and finally to the KW's with an 18 spd double reduction low and double overdrive with 2 speed differentials.

mack RS700l by Ken Wheeler, on Flickr"/>

Scan_Pic0008 by Ken Wheeler, on Flickr"/>

Catom PC40004182019 by Ken Wheeler, on Flickr"/>

Catom W900 FI 627 by Ken Wheeler, on Flickr"/>

ygp3734 (2) by Ken Wheeler, on Flickr"/>
Exkvate3140
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2019 3:10:55 PM

Ken thanks for the response, did you like driving the quad box? My first hire was an older gentleman who worked for one of the bigger site guys in the 70’s (Forte Bros). This guy was amazing he hit every gear without missing a beat, he had run their dump trailers. Could never master the gears like he did but I could drive it. Did you ever bruise your knuckles between the two shifter knobs when you hit a pot hole or raised manhole frame and over, I hated that because my right hand was always on shifter anticipating the next gear. Now they have automatics, they have come a long way.
Steve
codydanos
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2019 3:16:31 PM

Which one was your favorite power plant? Big cam, v8, isx etc.
kcmtoys
Posted: Monday, July 22, 2019 2:05:07 PM

codydanos wrote:
Which one was your favorite power plant? Big cam, v8, isx etc.

Mack V8 with out a doubt.