DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

The Land Clearers Jungle Cats (1st D9 tractor finished!) Options · View
Mr. Scholz
Posted: Saturday, March 23, 2019 5:46:37 AM
Groups: Member

Steve, scratching my head about that, too. Its just pipes and sheet metal and some screen, but a lot of it. When you come close, youll see that the screen is made of 1/2 " thick wire mash. Id guess the canopy wey about ~ 2.5 tons? I like all the doors and cover you can open for maintainance, everything looks well thought up and like clean built.

Regarding the specs 21-31-41, I say jackpot, was curious about comparing these three tractors for a long time. Thanks mate.

Blessed weekend to yall
Max
Exkvate3140
Posted: Saturday, March 23, 2019 10:39:16 PM

Max no problem, did they all come thru alright.
Steve
Mr. Scholz
Posted: Sunday, March 24, 2019 10:35:54 AM

They did. And Im blast away by handrendered illustrations like the HD41 cutaway. Man, there really was a time when they paid an highly qualified illustrator to get a sales catalogue done. Thanks Steve, will enjoy reading these!

Love to do illustrations by myself, before starting operating equipment, I made my living as an Industrial Designer. Here is a D9E with Kelley ripper, canary cage and Rome Plow KG blade. Have never seen a D9 equipped like this, but Im convinced you can clear a considerable amount of trees per day. Either you leave the stumps in the ground, or you use the Kelley to pull stumps. No dirt work on the KG blade Shame on you

D9E FCGH frame by FatCatGotHot

Have a good start into the new week
Max
Exkvate3140
Posted: Sunday, March 24, 2019 5:13:34 PM

Max did you do that illustration of the D9?
Steve
Mr. Scholz
Posted: Monday, March 25, 2019 9:52:42 AM

Hi Steve,

yeah. But I decided to leave Industrial Design and work on books for children. My actual project is about a quarry shovel.

The Mighty Menck EN

The mighty MENCK EN 001 framed by FatCatGotHot

Here is an album with some of my drawings Illustrations by Max Scholz on Flickr

Cheers
Max
Exkvate3140
Posted: Monday, March 25, 2019 8:32:07 PM

Max that is great, good for you. I still have my Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel from over 40 years ago. It is nice to see children’s books geared towards construction. Please let me know when your book is completed, I would be happy to buy one from you. It seems like it will be loaded with pictures, so I will absolutely have to buy a second one for The Q.
Thanks for that information, and your illustrations are very good, love that Cat dragster.
Steve
kcmtoys
Posted: Tuesday, March 26, 2019 11:30:33 AM

Here is a picture I found of a HD 31 brush dozer. Almost seems like it would be too heavy for brush work.Think

HD31 brush dozer by Ken Wheeler, on Flickr"/>

Mr. Scholz
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2019 3:06:05 PM

Hi Ken,

I've just browsed through your photos on facebook. Man, I love your customs, especially the 977 with demo poker pole and the 988A snow plow. Ken, since I'm going to publish an article about land clearing tractors - can I include your D6T with HOLT equipment? That would be sumpthin!

But now back to my custom - here we go:

CCM D9g Conrad D9 HD41 (9) by FatCatGotHot

At least some progress. You dont see solder joints coming loose, the cage breaking apart in the middle (2 times) and burnt fingers. It was fun!

Cheers,

Max
kcmtoys
Posted: Wednesday, May 15, 2019 1:26:20 PM

Mr. Scholz wrote:
Hi Ken,

I've just browsed through your photos on facebook. Man, I love your customs, especially the 977 with demo poker pole and the 988A snow plow. Ken, since I'm going to publish an article about land clearing tractors - can I include your D6T with HOLT equipment? That would be sumpthin!

But now back to my custom - here we go:

CCM D9g Conrad D9 HD41 (9) by FatCatGotHot

At least some progress. You dont see solder joints coming loose, the cage breaking apart in the middle (2 times) and burnt fingers. It was fun!

Cheers,

Max

Thank you for the compliments Max, I appreciate them. Please, feel free to use any of the pictures. Ken
Mr. Scholz
Posted: Wednesday, May 22, 2019 1:52:12 PM

Thanks for the support, Ken. I really appreciate it.

I managed to buy a nice brass anchor chain for a reasonable price. Like a real anchor chain, they can cost a lot. And some nice shackles, so I can illustrate the famous ball and chain land clearing method. Started with the high ball two days ago, now its primed. Was thinking about using two different tin-solders for the axle and its lugs, but was able to solder it using just one.

landclearin high ball (1) by FatCatGotHot

The 3mm axle is running through a 5mm brass pipe to which I cemented a styrene pipe. So I could add 2" wide plastic circles to it ...

landclearin high ball (2) by FatCatGotHot

Using one pack of Moltofill made it look like a giant garlic clove. A clove with lugs.

landclearin high ball (3) by FatCatGotHot

But sanded and primed it starts getting the look of a well used, dented high ball fabricated from boiler sheet metal.

landclearin high ball (4) by FatCatGotHot

Here is one nice inspirational pic of a well-used high ball: Click me softly

Cheers,
Max
Exkvate3140
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2019 10:11:12 PM

Max that is great looking.
Steve
Mr. Scholz
Posted: Saturday, June 15, 2019 6:48:38 PM

Thanks for the positive feedback, Steve. Love sharing the hobby here. Little progress, soldering wire mesh is nasty.

Cat D9G Canary Cage (10) by FatCatGotHot
Cat D9G Canary Cage (11) by FatCatGotHot

Have a blessed weekend,

Max
Exkvate3140
Posted: Saturday, June 15, 2019 7:07:59 PM

Max that is great looking and also looks very time consuming. It looks like something The Q uses when he goes into the backyard to shake his dollar trees.
Steve
Mr. Scholz
Posted: Saturday, June 15, 2019 7:32:30 PM

It came out a little dented, not as straight as I hoped it gonna be. But for a jungle cat, that actually is the right look.
ChandlerYohn
Posted: Sunday, June 16, 2019 4:08:16 PM

Mr. Scholz wrote:
It came out a little dented, not as straight as I hoped it gonna be. But for a jungle cat, that actually is the right look.

Your frame is epic, that is an amazing soldering job. You might consider pulling the wire mesh off, cleaning up the solder and just tacking on some cloth mesh using crazy glue (cyanoacrylate) with the curing spray as it will keep the inner mesh components clear and will paint much better.

To clean up the metal plates and have them sit flush, you might consider brass sheet strips along the length of the cage and then use modelling putty to smooth out the overlapping metal sheets (and or gaps) so it has a smooth finish.

It will be a mean looking Dozer once you have it all painted and assembled. Thanks so much for sharing.

Instagram ChandlerYohn YouTube
Mr. Scholz
Posted: Sunday, June 16, 2019 6:18:26 PM

Hi ChandlerYohn,

I'm a little bit under time pressure. The trick with the plastic is nice! Thanks for sharing your knowledge and for your opinion on my soldering. I probably will use your method on the other tractor. The difficulty I see with this model is the canary cage looks USED and the tractor factory fresh. But ok, for now it's fine.

Have browsed trhu your flickr pages. Didnt know you like mechas, too. The pictures with the Abrams reminded me of Neon Genesis Evangeleon.Cool!

Cheers
Max
gabugman
Posted: Monday, June 17, 2019 10:43:47 PM

Max,

Tfs! Your art is fabulous. Keep on illustrating!

Bug

ITW Security
ChandlerYohn
Posted: Tuesday, June 18, 2019 11:04:20 AM

Mr. Scholz wrote:
Hi ChandlerYohn,

I'm a little bit under time pressure. The trick with the plastic is nice! Thanks for sharing your knowledge and for your opinion on my soldering. I probably will use your method on the other tractor. The difficulty I see with this model is the canary cage looks USED and the tractor factory fresh. But ok, for now it's fine.

Have browsed trhu your flickr pages. Didnt know you like mechas, too. The pictures with the Abrams reminded me of Neon Genesis Evangeleon.Cool!

Cheers
Max

Hi Max, great to hear from you. Even if you don’t have time to do a thorough weathering adding some small pieces of moss (available at dollar stores and craft departments) to the blade, cab guard and tracks would make it look like it’s been through a romp in the woods. And you can just sprinkle it on without putting any adhesives on. The moss is avail in various colours so it can look like fresh flora to dried plants and roots. Woodland Scenics also offers dry branches which would add some tree branches to the machine as well. You could just grab some twigs from a local trail, but the commercial route ensures no colonies hatch out of your model. LOL!

Another technique I’ve been having great success with for surface finishing is using gel crazy glue to gap fill and bring it slightly above the natural surface then spray it with the accelerant to cure it instantly. Use a nail file (with multiple grades of grit-also avail at dollar store) or 3M automotive sandpaper (multiple grits avail) if on a larger surface and you can achieve a very smooth and consistent finish. If there are any blemishes, you can just repeat by adding more crazy glue and fill in the defect, then sand flush. The gel gives you great control so it stays away from delicate details that you don’t want to obscure. Just wear a solid mask when sanding as I can’t imagine that dust would be good for you. Run your fingernail across the site and as long as it doesn’t catch on anything then you should have a nice finish on your primer coat.

I’m so glad I’m not the only one who loves mecha and heavy machinery. Neon Genesis Evangelion is coming to Netflix, so it will be cool to check it out.

Great chatting, keep up the great work and all the best with the amazing illustrations. Take care and all the best.

Instagram ChandlerYohn YouTube
Mr. Scholz
Posted: Tuesday, June 18, 2019 4:19:50 PM

ChandlerYohn,

I just dropped my netflix account and now you're telling me they will send Neon Genesis? Oh boy, sure, what else, eh?

I like the idea with sticking plant parts and branches on that dozer. Some australian heavy duty scrub canopies even have heavy wire mesch on the inside, like a barrier just running across the operators platform to stop any branches that somehow sneaked inside the canopy. And threaten to injure the operator or blocking controls. During clearing operations, alot of bark, smal branches and dry leaves can accumulate in the belly pan under the engine. When a small branch hits the hot turbocharge, that can resut in engine fires. Rome Plows in Vietnam had a water tank aboard and FLECO even offered handpumps to cope with this thread.

I have 3M sanding stuff that is attached toa layer of plastic foam Pretty good stuff. The surface looks ruffer then it is, my fingertips telling me its good.

Catch ya,

Max
Mr. Scholz
Posted: Tuesday, February 25, 2020 5:44:18 PM

Hey mates,

I have managed to fabricate a tree pusher. In real life, it would be almost 10 meters long and reach up to 6.75 meters in height. So I think, this is about the maximum of a tree spear you can mount on a D9G. And when you're chaining scrub, most times, you need a second tractor (There are some tricks, though, how to do it with a single tractor). I just love the D9E and the Gescha/Conrad is flat-hooded, despite being marked as D9G, which has a bigger radiator than a D9E. I think it's a perfect match since the 1/48 scale CC D9G is just a notch larger than the 1/50 Conrad D9G. There is a difference in size between a D9E and D9G, about 26.5 tones bare to 33 tonnes bare, so both models fit well together.

IMG_20200122_165214 by FatCatGotHot
IMG_20200225_200954 by FatCatGotHot
IMG_20200225_195338 by FatCatGotHot

The inspiration for the D9E conversion is a model made by my friend, Tom the Cat. Here you go http://thomas-wilk.jalbum.net/Cat%20D9%20Series%20E/ and http://tcc-photowork.de/html/scale_models_ii.html