DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Kaelble sl30 prototype loader info. Options · View
brian falcone
Posted: Wednesday, March 27, 2019 11:27:23 AM

Groups: Member

Hello all. Havent been here much but I started a new project and I'm searching for wheels and tires.building an h.o. scale model of the kaelble prototype sl30 wheel loader from the 90s. The issue is I need to source tires. The 1/87 norscot auger scraper tires look the part as they appear to be an l-5 tire. These only came on the plastic toy version of this model. It came in the " equipt for play " box and was sold at walmart and k mart years ago. My question is does anyone have this model and perhaps can give me measurements on the height of the tires ?. Also I changed the headline to better reflect the topic
Weserhutte
Posted: Thursday, March 28, 2019 12:15:08 AM

I'll keep my eyes open for the plastic auger scraper, but I'm curious how you came to choose the Kaelble SL30 for a project. Could it be that the design is somewhat 'Michiganesque'?
brian falcone
Posted: Thursday, March 28, 2019 1:32:06 AM

Saw a model of it in the walthers catalog back in 1993. Kibri had a picture of the sl30 with z bar linkage...ordered it and got an sl26. I guess kibri was going to make a kit of the sl30 but kaelble never built the real machine so they went with the smaller sl26. I found a few pictures online and even a brochure with scale drawings of the sl30. It has a very unique appearance.
Mr. Scholz
Posted: Thursday, March 28, 2019 1:29:24 PM

Hi Brian,

great news hearing from your SL 30 project!

So I just compared the tires of the SL26 and the SL30. Both were equipped with 26.5-25 EM as standard, the SL30 had an option for 29.5-25 EM. Tires on a CAT 627 F or G are 33.25-29 EM, so I think they are far too big. Judging from the KAELBLE datasheets you can start with the standard kibri-tires. And I think that is what catches the special look of the SL30: A massive loading arm device and rather big hood on the back rolling on rather small tires.

If you have any questions on the SL30 let me know.

Cheers
Max
Mr. Scholz
Posted: Thursday, March 28, 2019 2:55:37 PM

And here is a picture of the planned SL30 kibri-kit, the biggest wheelloader of german poduction back in the 90ies. KAELBLE SL30 HO Scale by kibri
brian falcone
Posted: Thursday, March 28, 2019 3:22:49 PM

Thanks ! That's the one I'm building. I'll use the sl26 as a starting point. So far I have the loader arms, bucket and linkage built. I can use the sl26 cab. Trying to find the meaty tires shown on the kibri picture.. this loader has been on my mind for 25 years at least !
Mr. Scholz
Posted: Friday, March 29, 2019 12:08:19 PM

Hi Brian,

I have absolutely no clue what kinda tires where used in the planned kit... but comparing the regular kibri SL26 to the tires of the LIEBHERR all terrain crane (kibri 10962), these crane tires look like a good fit. They are 1 3/4" in diameter, or 22 mm.

kibri 10962 Liebherr all terrain crane

JoeE
Posted: Saturday, March 30, 2019 8:05:09 AM

Brian, great to see some 1/87 modeling on DHS!
I remember seeing the SL30 in the catalogs as well. Just went back to my Walthers library and found it in the 1993 edition.
Definitely two different loaders. Like Mr. Scholz said, tires look the same height. By looking at ladder. Hard to tell if the SL30 are a tad wider maybe.
Keep us posted.

We rally round the family, with a pocket full of shells.....
brian falcone
Posted: Saturday, March 30, 2019 1:53:24 PM

I'll get some pics up as soon as i figure out photobucket again...seems i have to pay to use it now. Anyway even the sl26 varies greatly from what is shown on the box. I think kibri used the prototype sl30 model and fitted the new loader arms to it . The cab is much higher,bigger tires and different ladder and sloped hood compared to what the sl26 builds up to when its finished.
brian falcone
Posted: Saturday, March 30, 2019 2:09:42 PM

brian falcone
Posted: Saturday, March 30, 2019 2:10:53 PM

I was able to find this drawing and I blew it up on my phone until the cab was the same size as the sl26 cab. Then I traced the loader arms,linkage and bucket into tissue paper,then cut them out of styrene.
Mr. Scholz
Posted: Saturday, March 30, 2019 8:25:44 PM

Hi Brian,

yeah, FatCatGotHot, thats me. If you need a better resolution scan so you can read the measurements, let me know. Cool how you used the cab size for according scale! And cool to see such interest in Kaelble machines. They combined Swabian ingenuity, stubborness and craftmensship.

Cheers
Max
brian falcone
Posted: Sunday, March 31, 2019 10:58:03 AM

If you could post. Better scan that would be great ! Not much info on this machine out there. I did find photos of the sl35 ? Looks like they built 2 of them anyway.
Exkvate3140
Posted: Sunday, March 31, 2019 1:08:08 PM

Brian I have an 1/87 Liebheer 974 excavator (Kibri) if you want it, it is built. I have only one 1/87 scale model and this is it, looks so lonely sitting on the shelf by itself. It would probably look a lot better next to a big loader, I probably have the original box for it also, if you want it it’s yours.
Steve
Mr. Scholz
Posted: Sunday, March 31, 2019 3:01:22 PM

Big mouthed me. My scanner refuses to work because of printing ink too old according to the digital display on the scanner/printer. Printing ink does directly connect to the scanning process. For obvious reasons.

. d'oh!

Ok, tried to do it ith the cam, here we go. Hope it helps, Brian. KAELBLE SL30 Ansichten 001 by FatCatGotHot
Mr. Scholz
Posted: Sunday, March 31, 2019 3:19:47 PM

Looking on this picture your theory of the SL26 kibri boxart seems to be spot on, Brian. It really looks like a SL26 front an and the SL30 rear.

Last year I was able to talk to the former head of development for wheelloaders who was involved in the SL35 and SL30 programm. Ever since, KAELBLE relied on paralellogramm lift arms for the bucket. To achieve considerable break out forces, they choose high horsepower and high pressure layout. Combined withwell thought up design and high manufacturing quality, KAELBLE loaders fitted a market niche by offering up to 30% more horsepower than competitor machines.

KAELBLE loaders have - despite the production was stopped back in 2004 - up until now a very good reputation. They offered a experiencend operator the ablity to bring high performance and are very popular in sand and gravel pits or in quarry reclaiming work. And still, the paralellogramm lift arms - thoug offering less breakout force then Z-linkage - could easily lift the rear axle of KAELBLE of the ground. Also, this kinematics were popular for log grapples etc.

The concept of the KAELBLE wheelloaders reached it limits in severe quarry work. Such applications where you need steel over muscle. So KAELBLE decided to finally developpe their own Z-bar linkage machines in the 1980ies and thats why their lifting arms have a somewhat exaggerated appearance. Going down this road, the management underrated the money needed for developpement. So the very massive SL35 was downrated to the SL 30.

Some pretty decent pics of the mean SL35 and the SL30 you can find here: KAELBLE historie and prototypes

Cheers
Max
brian falcone
Posted: Sunday, March 31, 2019 9:13:19 PM

Thanks for the info ! I'm currently on vacation in Florida and will start back up on it when I get back !