DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Are we going the wrong direction? Options · View
89cxsport
Posted: Saturday, February 24, 2018 10:18:14 PM

Groups: Member

Here lately I have been buying older models as they have been popping up in local antique shops or toy shows and it has made me think about details and quality of models. Case in point is the difference between Norscots 963 and the NZG 953 track loaders.

I love the detail on the Norscot piece but like most of them it had track problems straight out of the box. I was able to fix it but recently when cleaning the dust off of my models the other track broke. The NZG piece while simple in details seems to have held up much better for its age, and I have found that to be the case with most of the older models I have bought. My biggest concern is did we as collectors demand too much detail that we now have sacrifice quality? What are your alls though and opinions on this?

Flickr Photostream
Cat345bl
Posted: Saturday, February 24, 2018 11:37:36 PM

I agree 100%, that is why I only try to collect Conrad Construction equipment as their models are built properly, and made to last especially ones made in the last 20 years. Although I am not the biggest proponent of German Engineering (especially when it involves cars), but the term definitely applies to diecast replica manufacturing. Conrad has been around 60+ plus years and has mastered metal tracks, paint/decal applying, hydraulic cylinders etc. If you compare Conrad's Liebherr LR634 (and the LR636) to a Norscot Cat 963D both where made around the same time period of 2007, the Liebherr makes the Cat looks like a child's toy. Norscot is not much better than ERTL. I think their best models where the Grove SM3248E scissor lift, and the Cat TH360 telehandler. As a collector, I am more concerned about quality, and only German companies such as Conrad and pre China NZG have fulfilled this demand. I also blame the promotional and model programs from OEM's too, because they think that their name is more important then the company that produces the models. That is why companies such as Liebherr, Mecalac, Wirtgen Group and Putzmeister have the best model programs out there as they seek the best manufacturers in the business.

-Mike, Collecting 1/50th Construction Diecast Since 2003.
View My Collection Here, As of 09/21/23

61BG
Posted: Sunday, February 25, 2018 12:46:04 AM

I honestly think our models actually DO reflect the real machines. Look at the old iron, Solid steel steps, Real gauge or even Solid steel grab handles and railings, heavy gauge Steel fenders etc. I could go on and on. The new iron has believe it or not Plastic fenders, super thin tubing for grab handles and railings, thin gauge hoods and panels, Plastic mirrors. Our new loaders and trucks even have Plastic door handles just like the ones that break on your car. I understand using lighter or composites on our cars and light duty pickups for fuel economy and efficiency, But heavy equipment is just that Heavy and for a reason as it adds tractive effort and stability. Using lighter/thinner materials on this equipment makes absolutely no sense.
Quinella
Posted: Sunday, February 25, 2018 12:58:31 AM

We sacrifice quality for details. But the details come in plastic. Just look at First Gear. Even CCM has plastic. Not only that, but the prices have soared. If you want great quality AND high detail, get a custom built model. And I agree about Conrad. They are still great manufacturers. CAW
ITmachine
Posted: Sunday, February 25, 2018 1:25:52 AM

61BG wrote:
I honestly think our models actually DO reflect the real machines.

ABSOLUTELY. I remember in the 90s and early 2000s that when you picked up a new truck or piece of equipment you didn't touch it for 2000 hours. Now it seems like everything is down for a sensor failure within the first 100 hours. Maybe I'm remembering with rose colored glasses but that's what it seemed like.
Cat938k
Posted: Sunday, February 25, 2018 3:43:09 AM

I can agree on the trade off of quality vs detail, I remember as a kid playing with an ertl cat 988b, d10 and d350. Today you wouldn’t dare bring a newer cat 988k, d10 or 745 out to a sandbox. I’ve repainted them but other than faded plastic and uv damaged windows they still feel like a real durable model.

Same goes for the newer equipment, our old cat 235 was loads more durable than our newer cat 320c series. If I had to load trucks or dig basements all day sure I’d go for the 320 but you want a machine that doesn’t throw codes or complain about the weather you go crank that 235 up. Even with the performance side of things, with our 1990 western star 4900 against our 2013 Kenworth t800. Before we sold the ole star it would out run and over power the t800 even the 06’ paystar that the t800 replaced would blow the doors off this truck. I can understand the environmental impact with the dpf/scr/egr but the thing seems like it’s always in for service or it gets stuck in a regen cause it’s too cold hauling snow down the highway. It seems manufactures are copying the smart phone mentality, bring out a new machine throw the old one away.

- Tyler

89cxsport
Posted: Sunday, February 25, 2018 5:25:18 PM

Cat345bl wrote:
Although I am not the biggest proponent of German Engineering (especially when it involves cars)

I have to agree 100% on German engineering being junk on cars. The lack of quality and reliability pays my mortgage and allows me to buy these models. I have one or two Conrad pieces but most of recent purchases have been NZG. I personally like the high detail Ertl series as they at least look less like sandbox toys and have some nice but not over done details added. While metal handrails are a nice addition they do seem more fragile and the slightest touch can bend them.

Flickr Photostream