DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Photobucket 3rd party hosting Options · View
Paul R
Posted: Friday, January 26, 2018 8:28:58 AM

Groups: Member

Guys,

I got an email yesterday regarding this and they have made a new offer that allows 3rd party hosting for users like myself. It is basically $99/yr.

Whilst I still think this is a lot, I would be willing to pay it as I prefer the linking system on Photobucket compared to Flickr.

However, I question these days the need. I have obviously posted a lot of photos over the years of my collection using PB and certainly in the beginning there seemed to be a lot of people that looked and perhaps found them useful.

My question really is, is it worth it? I am not sure that these days people look at the photos on here or are really that interested judging by the lack of comments made. Perhaps social media has taken over forums now?

I would really like to hear input before committing (or not) to PB.

Thanks,

Paul R
Davie82
Posted: Friday, January 26, 2018 10:49:51 AM

Hi Paul,

I guess it depends whether or not it affects your current images. I've used both PB and Flickr extensively over the years as a non-paying user and I don't use either any more, even though (miraculously) all of my PB images still hotlink without without issue -- take this 9-year-old thread at DHS for example: click. My image host of choice for the past few years has been imageshack.com. My last subscription renewal for premium service cost me £16 for the year (it's normally around £35/yr) and I use the service extensively. The uptime is very good and photos can be organised into albums just like on other sites, and there is a variety of sizing options for sharing images on forums, social media etc.

It may not be plain sailing if you do jump ship from a familiar hosting service, but the bottom line is you can definitely get cheaper than PB and Flickr.
rare ss
Posted: Friday, January 26, 2018 10:53:48 AM

I think facebook has pretty much killed every forum..

You can use fb to host photos also..
dain555
Posted: Friday, January 26, 2018 11:52:44 AM

I had PB up until recently when they started charging, I went to Flickr as they are currently free for my needs which is posting some pics every now and then.

As to your question, I do look at others pictures (even though there are more people embedding videos now) as I like seeing regular pictures. As I said before, the times I want to post a picture here paying for a place like PB is not cost effective, maybe if I was able to get out more and make photographing stuff a hobby or lucrative hobby then yes I'd pay for PB to host my images.

Hopefully you can make the right decision for you but what ever you decide has to fit your needs but also remember, I for one like your pictures and do look at them!!!

Dain

I'm a kid at heart, so I will play with any model construction vehicle from 1:87 scale to 1:1 scale!!!!

Age is a state of time NOT a state of mind!!
Basketball Man
Posted: Friday, January 26, 2018 3:14:50 PM

I have not used Photobucket since they started charging. PB is charging a ton of money for a very glitchy site in my opinion. I am using Flickr for the time being. I believe Facebook and Instagram are changing this hobby. Unfortunately the problem with both Facebook and Instagram is that there is no longer a central location to talk and converse with fellow hobbyists. I had thousands of photos hosted by Photobucket but I just am not willing to pay for them to be hosted. Unfortunately the loss of all those photos is just another nail in the coffin for forums like this one.

Contrary to the fact forums are dying it seems like this hobby is still doing okay for model manufacturers. Right now there are more new diecast construction models than have ever been available in the past.

YouTube is another platform that used to be very popular with this hobby. It is dwindling as time goes on for this hobby.

Perhaps I am getting more set in my ways, but I like the format of forums for sharing hobby information. It is easy to find and discover ideas and discuss ideas with other hobbyists. Will forums like this one make a comeback? I doubt it. But I can hope that we can get a platform that will allow for a better community across the internet.

-Ethan
Collection 8/2/2016
For more of the Diorama and my collection: On Facebook or On YouTube
ChandlerYohn
Posted: Friday, January 26, 2018 8:53:16 PM

Hi Paul, a very interesting point of discussion. I guess your decision to subscribe depends on what you expect out of this forum. It is apparent that many people treat this forum as a passive entertainment medium, like watching videos or perusing pics on a hosting site. When a topic update is made you can see a few hundred views over a short period of time mount up. The dilemma is that people don't seem to want to engage in conversation on the pics.

When I initially started posting I was very excited to post a new pic that contained a new model and some creativity to try and create a diorama scene like I would display on my shelf or curio. I initially found it disheartening to check in on that post and see little to no conversation... comments, ideas, what people liked, ideas they have for customization, photography etc. When I resolved myself to using this site as an organized and indexed (searchable) means for the hobby, joined with the fact that people were actually looking at my pics I decided to continue to post. Sites like Facebook and YouTube that cater to passive consumption of media with little to moderate feedback is likely what has catered to a majority of people relegating forums to the same format thereby removing their desire to directly engage with this medium.

I think by building and maintaining this repository of ideas and images that it can help to inspire and drive the hobby forward. I wish you all the best on your decision.

Instagram ChandlerYohn YouTube
Davie82
Posted: Saturday, January 27, 2018 7:26:19 PM

^ I agree with this, and it's an important point to reiterate. I find myself falling into the exact same pattern of behaviour described above: I look at photos and appreciate them, but I don't always comment to that effect. It's almost like browsing a catalogue or looking at a brochure - a passive thing, as ChandlerYohn says above.

Regardless of which image hosting service you use, I think it's important to keep sharing.
Paul R
Posted: Sunday, January 28, 2018 8:55:54 AM

All,
Based on this feedback and on the other thread I have made the decision not to carry on with PB. I will continue with Flickr but perhaps post less photos and instead include a link so people can look at more if they desire.

As a side note, I also used PB for posting images on Hansebube and they kindly transferred all of them to their own server so that when my PB account shuts done, they will still be available for people to see.

I asked Chuck if he could do the same thing, but based on the lack of response I think he cannot do this. This basically means that come April time, the vast majority of my photos in the two threads will disappear.

I am quite an avid user of FB but not so much Instagram, though I may start using it more to see how it goes.

Thanks,

Paul R
GC1
Posted: Sunday, January 28, 2018 9:46:41 PM

Then April will be a sad time, because one of the pleasures of life is seeing your wonderful posts and accompanying photographs. Especially over the last 20 months when I was post surgery and avidly loved seeing all the latest plus receiving the models I had ordered well before I got them, via your well orchestrated posts....I cannot thank you enough.
Paul R
Posted: Tuesday, January 30, 2018 7:54:09 AM

GC1 wrote:
Then April will be a sad time, because one of the pleasures of life is seeing your wonderful posts and accompanying photographs. Especially over the last 20 months when I was post surgery and avidly loved seeing all the latest plus receiving the models I had ordered well before I got them, via your well orchestrated posts....I cannot thank you enough.

Those are indeed kind words and of course something I had not realised. You are one of few that do comment and it is much appreciated.

Unfortunately I cannot do much about the old photos unless Chuck decides to save them to his server like Hansebube did, but I will continue to post some photos via Flickr moving forward.

All the best,

Paul R