DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Bucyrus 395B photographs Options · View
Jamiescotland
Posted: Saturday, January 27, 2018 8:02:51 PM

Groups: Member

Hello there!
A new project is underway - a 1:50 scratch-built Bucyrus 395B mining shovel in the classic Bucyrus colours of yellow, red and green.
I'm lacking photos though, particularly the left side and the superstructure on the top of the body (aerial view from the front or front 3/4 if poss). I have a couple of books (eric orelmann and keith haddock Bucyrus) and looked online for pictures, but there aren't many. Everything so far has been made by eye and guess-work, but I'm unsure on some of the build.
Pictures to follow somehow (I've not posted anything on here since Photobucket went weird).
Thanks for any help!
FiatAllisHD41
Posted: Sunday, January 28, 2018 3:11:15 AM

Jamie,

Give Flickr.com a go. Should find what you're looking for.

That is one hell of a project !

Please keep the forum updated on your build. Interesting build.

“A tiger doesn't lose sleep over the opinion of sheep.” ― Shahir Zag

" An educated mind learns from his mistakes and corrects them. A dolt, on the other hand, lashes out and continues showing his ignorance."
-Unknown

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”― Arthur C. Clarke

"Anti-social behavior is a trait of intelligence in a world full of conformists" - Nikola Tesla

" If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur ". Paul Neal "Red" Adair {Wild Well Firefighter for those who live under rocks}

Mr. Scholz
Posted: Sunday, January 28, 2018 5:38:15 AM

Hello Jamie,

have you checked http://www.stripmine.org/? Looking forward to see your new project! Would be awesome to see some work-in-progress photos.

Cheers,
Max
Jamiescotland
Posted: Sunday, January 28, 2018 8:17:53 AM

Thanks. A few pictures coming in now, so can move forward with some of the detailing.
I spent a week over Christmas making the body, boom and track frame, and haven't done anything since due to work and life getting in the way. I'm not sure when I'll be able to continue as time for model-making is scarce :(
I bought some Bucyrus 495 bits off Ebay - bucket, dipper and tracks (£40!) - so that's making life a bit easier.
Not going to be a super-accurate build, but at least it's a real machine this time (rather than my last made-up P&H 3200!)
I'd love to replicate a real machine, but I'm very tempted to paint it in classic Bucyrus-Erie colours.
Campmb
Posted: Sunday, January 28, 2018 12:56:40 PM

Good luck on that project Jamie. I know you've done great work in the past, so I expect nothing less. By the way I did not mind that 'made up ' P&H 3200 one bit. It was great. Sometimes the hardest part of a project is finding close up pictures to use. Mike