DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Cranes in the fire service Options · View
dain555
Posted: Sunday, November 05, 2017 1:33:16 PM

Groups: Member

I was wondering if anyone has any pictures of cranes in the fire service either here in the states or anywhere else in the world?? A friend of mine on Facebook has a company that teaches heavy rescue to towing companies and fire departments here in the USA, he posted a video of a European fire brigade that uses a 4 axle Liebherr crane. He was wondering if anyone else uses them and if anyone has pictures of the different cranes. Thanks guys, your the best as usual!!!

Dain

I'm a kid at heart, so I will play with any model construction vehicle from 1:87 scale to 1:1 scale!!!!

Age is a state of time NOT a state of mind!!
Mr. Scholz
Posted: Sunday, November 05, 2017 2:39:11 PM

Hello Dain,

here in Karlsruhe we have a 3-axle LTM 1055/1. There are several main fire brigades in the city, the crane is stationed in the one closest to the Rhine port. Some photos and technical data here: https://www.karlsruhe.de/b4/buergerdienste/feuerwehr/berufsfeuerwehr/fahrzeuge_bf/fahrzeugeww/fw_fz_ww_kw.de

And here you can see it zooming around in the centre of Karlsruhe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jdY_4b_Uj4

Have fun!
Max
Mr. Scholz
Posted: Sunday, November 05, 2017 3:10:11 PM

And now you made me curious, Dain. What is the biggest crane in use of municipal fire fighters in Germany? The winner is the four axle LTM 1070 4.2. Several towns like Dortmund; Reutlingen... are using this crane model, but the one used by the city of Bremen seems to be special, because it can be used as a snorkel, too. It's a decent looking rig:

Standard equipment für fire fighting cranes seems to be a rear mounted recovery winch.

TimT
Posted: Monday, November 06, 2017 3:57:30 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Dain, There are several volunteer Fire depts. in the US that have fairly large cranes mounted on heavy rescue trucks. Not a full mobile crane as is more common in Europe. The L.A. City and L.A.County have a couple big rotator wreckers set up for heavy rescue/recovery. So do other depts. The DC fire dept has at least a 60 ton rotator... there are others. The rotators provide the capacity and high speed mobility not seen in mobile cranes. They are loaded with all kinds of heavy rigging, lights, cutting tools of all kinds , cribbing, etc. just a couple sample pics here.

Also included in an LA Fire dozer... they have used these for heavy recovery/rescue also.

Mr. Scholz
Posted: Monday, November 06, 2017 7:35:20 AM

TimT, regarding the mobile toolboxes with cranes, I can follow. Yes, also in Europe we have these, in Germany we call them "Rüstwagen". And I have seen 4-axle wreckers used by the fire fighters here, too. But when it comes to the heavy fire fighting D8s like they are used in California, I have to bail out. Some D5s in Spain or France at the max.

Now I'm jealous. LOL
dain555
Posted: Monday, November 06, 2017 11:25:31 AM

Thanks so far guys!!

TimT, yes I know we use rotators a lot here in the US but in most European areas the wheel base makes them hard to negotiate the curved roads where the smaller "city" cranes that have all wheel steering can go around easily.

Also we use bigger than D5 doses here in Florida for wild fires and if needed heavy rescue.

Please keep them coming this may be a good thread!!!

Dain

I'm a kid at heart, so I will play with any model construction vehicle from 1:87 scale to 1:1 scale!!!!

Age is a state of time NOT a state of mind!!
eef7260
Posted: Monday, November 06, 2017 4:25:11 PM

This one is from my hometown the hague Holland but its' used in a larger area.
Pictures are from : 112Haaglanden.nl and regio15.nl

And this was the old one
http://www.regio15.nl/nieuws/lijst-weergave/46-artikelen/voertuigen/232-157489

Lots of youtube videos here
Youtube

***Flickr American cranes group***3D printed crane parts at Shapeways***3D printed crane parts at I.materialise

Mr. Scholz
Posted: Tuesday, November 07, 2017 2:58:51 PM

Here is a true classic. It's the most iconic german crane/recovery vehicle of the fire fighters ever. Magirus Deutz Uranus 6x6 with an aircooled V12 @250hp. Later called the 250D25, indicating a weight of 25 tonnes. Called the KW15, later upgraded to KW16 and KW20 (Kranwagen 15, 16 or 20 tonnes capacity)

Feuerwehrveteranen Treffen in Dibbersen 2010 by Gunnar Ries, auf Flickr"/>
Magirus-Deutz Uranus A - Feuerwehr Duisburg by TIMRAAB227, auf Flickr"/>
Feuerwehr Magirus Kranwagen - Wanne-Eickel Cranger Kirmes_9411_2015-08-15 by Georg Peter Landsiedel, auf Flickr"/>
89cxsport
Posted: Thursday, November 09, 2017 11:16:31 PM

I know it is not a crane but the Miami Dade fire department recently took delivery of a 60 ton Jerr Dan rotator.

Flickr Photostream