DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

sagging boom on hydrauilic excavators Options · View
mariot
Posted: Thursday, July 27, 2017 6:16:14 PM

Groups: Member

I have a question: how does one keep booms on hydraulic excavator models from sagging? The boom hoist cylinders on my WSI Hitachi ZX 870 excavators will gradually drop, and therefore will not hold a pose loading a truck, or hold an attachment aloft for long. They seem to hold only if the stick is retracted fully, with the boom fully-raised (reduced radius, so the lever arm distance is less).

One solution I remember reading some time ago, was to insert a rod of suitable diameter and of a length inside the cylinder to hold the boom up at the desired height; the disadvantages are: 1) one would have to remove the cylinder(s) from the machine, and 2) the boom position would then be fixed, and instant adjustment ability would be lost.

Does anyone have another solution?

Thanks to all in advance.

Mario T
dain555
Posted: Thursday, July 27, 2017 7:28:34 PM

Groups: Member

I know some have used a coat of clear nail polish on the cylinder rods, this can be done without disassembling the model. Others have used a little super glue on the rod, this requires that the rod be removed so as to not glue the rod to the jacket!! While others have removed the rods and deformed them slightly using a hammer and a vice/steel block, this creates an oval shape to the rod bottom, this needs to be done carefully and multiple test fits to be sure you don't over do the flattening of the rod.

I personally used the nail polish with good results and would use that first, remember to extend the cylinder rod as far as it can, paint the polish up to the jacket and find a way to let it dry thoroughly before you put it down. If you still have issues then try the spot of super glue carefully so you don't get it on the jacket, last resort is the hammer!!!

Dain

I'm a kid at heart, so I will play with any model construction vehicle from 1:87 scale to 1:1 scale!!!!

Age is a state of time NOT a state of mind!!