DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

GAR-BRO L-Series 10cy bucket Options · View
JohnGalt
Posted: Tuesday, June 27, 2017 11:00:27 AM

Groups: Member

I've seen these used in NYC, but it takes a substantial crane to move it around: it weighs 7,000 lbs empty, and 46,000 lbs full. The model is cast in resin.
TWH 2cy GAR-BRO for size reference.

Bic fireworks lighter for size reference.
I have a video clip of the functional hopper doors installed, and in operation with a load of sand. Figuring out how to get that on here, so please stand by.
mariot
Posted: Tuesday, June 27, 2017 1:56:10 PM

John Galt,

These are common buckets used in NYC. For my high rise diorama that I made some years ago, which still resides in my basement, I made two of them. Here are a few pictures:
[img][/img]

"/>

"/>

The most common size for these buckets are 3 cubic yards, and typically two are used to speed up a concrete pour of a floor slab; one is filled at street level while one is aloft pouring the deck above. When the two are being used, "IN" and "OUT" are often painted on the buckets to indicate position behind the concrete truck. A six cubic yard version was employed at the new One Trade Center site. Although buckets are still being used in NYC, concrete pumping is gaining popularity on a number of jobs in the city, either using truck-mounted concrete pumps with placing booms, or large concrete pumps placed at the base of the new structure, and concrete placing booms atop the sturcture being constructed.

I was hoping that when the model of the round Gar-Bro concrete buckets were made, that the lay-down style would come out, being from NYC, and have seen these style buckets in use for a long time. Some time ago, I had made a request for the lay-down style, but no reply had been forthcoming.

May I ask, where was the resin model made? Did you made that bucket?

JohnGalt
Posted: Tuesday, June 27, 2017 2:28:03 PM

Mariot, thanks for the additional info. Your dio is one of the best I've seen, and always enjoy seeing pictures of it. I'm glad you pointed out that your buckets had "IN" and "OUT" on them. We usually marked the 2cy round buckets that way, for the benefit of the tower crane operator. "IN" is closest to the crane, "OUT" is farthest, and knowing where it is going makes it easier to spot behind the truck, as you mentioned, when the operator had to work in the blind over the edge of the building.
The 10 yarder in the picture was made by Mitch Gomez.
mariot
Posted: Tuesday, June 27, 2017 3:47:15 PM

John,

Thank you for the complement on the diorama. If you recall, The diorama features a Manitowoc 4100W Tower crane. I wish that a 1:50 scale model would come out of a Favelle Favco climbing crane, since they (and Potain) are now the dominant cranes utilized in high-rise, tall and now supertall buildings going up in the city. Actually, in the photo, where I have the buckets behind the concrete truck, the OUT bucket should have been furthest from the building, where the IN bucket is located. When I shot the photo at the time, I didn't realize I had it wrong!!

The bucket by Mitch Gomez looks good.