DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Giant Rock Cutters Of Texas...photo heavy, updated some action shots Options · View
TimT
Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2015 1:00:43 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

I took a trip to Texas this week to document the largest rock cutting machines ever built. Texas is home to the largest concentration of giant trenchers, road miners and rock cutting surface miners in the world. Geology plays a role in this, in particular around San Antonio and Austin. This is home to some of the largest rock excavation companies in the world and the equipment they use all over the southwest and other areas.

The Trencor 1860HD is the largest rock trencher ever built. Only 9 such machines exist, with six in Texas now. I was able to see the last unit built in operation near Breckenridge Texas trenching for a huge water supply project. This unit was cutting solid limestone 7 feet wide and 10 feet deep. The machine has a 1,250 hp Cat 3512 to power the digging chain and a 3306 to power the hydraulic system. It weighs about 220 tons. The power and size is incredible to see first hand.

It takes FOUR D-8 track chains to handle the digging

Here is one of five Trencor 3000 SM's ever built. Realy a giant milling machine on steroids, it is powered by a Cat 3412 at 1250 hp and weighs in excess of 150 tons. This unit is working on a huge rock job carving out a massive shopping complex and industrial park.It is one of several on this job.

And here is a big Trencor 1660 road miner also on this big job

hummer13
Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2015 2:45:48 AM

Groups: Member

Cool pics Tim where abouts were these, probably down towards Austin? We have a ton of Wirtegen surface miners around here in DFW.

Jason

Nikl Scale Models
nikl scale models shapeways store
DumpsterToy
Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2015 9:25:40 AM

Thanks for sharing pics and info. I would imagine the up keep on these machines is very high.
kokosing Const Co
Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2015 1:49:08 PM

Cool pics Tim, hope they aren't flooded out right now. The first machine still has the Ritchie Bros sticker on it!
89cxsport
Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2015 3:03:04 PM

Are these on G.T. Sirizzotti, LTD. jobsites? The logo on the hi-vis looks similar.

Flickr Photostream
FiatAllisHD41
Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2015 5:03:42 PM

Thanks Tim for posting these. Rarely get a chance to learn anything about these types of equipment. Beast for sure.

“A tiger doesn't lose sleep over the opinion of sheep.” ― Shahir Zag

" An educated mind learns from his mistakes and corrects them. A dolt, on the other hand, lashes out and continues showing his ignorance."
-Unknown

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”― Arthur C. Clarke

"Anti-social behavior is a trait of intelligence in a world full of conformists" - Nikola Tesla

" If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur ". Paul Neal "Red" Adair {Wild Well Firefighter for those who live under rocks}

Formu1fan
Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2015 6:40:37 PM

Thanks for the post. Excellent machines there.

-John
TimT
Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2015 10:24:04 PM

89cxsport wrote:
Are these on G.T. Sirizzotti, LTD. jobsites? The logo on the hi-vis looks similar.

Yes sir they sure are, In regards to the 3000 SM's and the Roadminer/miller. Sirizzotti has a huge fleet working on this site prep job near Bulverde, north of San Antonio, the rock machines, scrapers, haul trucks, big excavators, etc, etc.

The 1860 is owned by TekRock Trenching " Bar-None Equipment" out of Georgetown Texas. This unit is working a big water supply line near Breckinridge Texas.
TimT
Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2015 11:10:32 PM

kokosing Const Co wrote:
Cool pics Tim, hope they aren't flooded out right now. The first machine still has the Ritchie Bros sticker on it!

No, they are all ok, I was there this past week right after the worst of the flooding. I never saw any real problems and had good weather every day except at night when storms cropped up. All the jobs kept going through it all.
321DLCR
Posted: Monday, June 01, 2015 3:01:18 AM

Before moving to Dallas I lived in Georgetown Texas where the limestone is notoriously hard. In George Town they have a quarry for lime stone where they blast huge sections of cliff face to excavate the rock. Just want to share a few common sights form when I lived there. I have more pics if any one wants to see them
"/>

"/>

"/>

"/>

"/>

"/>

Gd10r
Posted: Monday, June 01, 2015 1:23:04 PM

Tim thanks for sharing. Getting the forum back to its glory. I have wanted to do the same thing to go see Gene and take some snaps. Thanks again. Graham

Still Plays with Toys
kokosing Const Co
Posted: Monday, June 01, 2015 2:03:20 PM

Gd10r wrote:
Tim thanks for sharing. Getting the forum back to its glory. I have wanted to do the same thing to go see Gene and take some snaps. Thanks again. Graham

That's what I'm saying, miss the old days coming on here and seeing all the equipment posts!
TimT
Posted: Monday, June 01, 2015 8:23:03 PM

[quote=321DLCR]Before moving to Dallas I lived in Georgetown Texas where the limestone is notoriously hard. In George Town they have a quarry for lime stone where they blast huge sections of cliff face to excavate the rock. Just want to share a few common sights form when I lived there. I have more pics if any one wants to see them

The Austin machine with the road miner head is one of H.L. Chapmans machines that was built by them in house. Harold Chapman started his own operation that is now called Chapman Rock Excavating LLC since H.L. Chapman Pipeline is ownd by another firm now. Guys like him never stay out for long it seems. They "H.L" were/are the largest rock trenching /milling contractor in the world as far as I know.They have a huge fleet of machines.

The 1860 I saw was one of Bechtels units that trenched most of the massive GME gas pipeline in Algeria back in the mid-late 90's. They orderd three of them for that job, then sent them all to another huge pipe trenching job on the Yucatan Peninsula in Mexico before selling them. I have a film of the GME construction and I think it was the first 48" Gas Line ever laid. They used the 1860's instead of blasting for security reasons as the country had a big rebel uprising going on at the time..Bechtel had tons of armed security with them at all times. The job set many speed records for miles completed and was finshed under budjet and ahead of shedule. Thanks in large part to the 1860's!!
TimT
Posted: Monday, June 01, 2015 8:32:21 PM

Gd10r wrote:

Graham, Tom, I was hoping you folks would enjoy this. I shot about 70 minutes of video and took about 150 photos on this trip. I am planning to write an article if possible for the HCEA Magazine and maybe another one. I have to speak with Keith Haddock about it.
Jimi
Posted: Tuesday, June 02, 2015 12:01:53 AM

Thanks for sharing Tim, looks like you got to the jobs just in time for maintenance. haha.

regards,
Jim

"Once again, concussion by safety" -Mike Rowe
Gavin84w
Posted: Tuesday, June 02, 2015 9:49:06 AM

Gd10r wrote:
+ 1 that. Not long now till Sydney Australia becomes the road header capital of the world, so much tunnel work coming up down here for the next 5 years all in beautiful sandstone
Brett G
Posted: Tuesday, June 02, 2015 10:46:55 AM

great pics thanks man those 3 trencorp's would make awsome 1:50 models

Sent from my HTC M10 - Rooted , using S-OFF , Open Home 6 & Buuf icon packs
http://forum.xda-developers.com/ BUILD YOUR OWN PHONE

Gd10r
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2015 3:31:54 PM

Brett, the Vermeer Company has models of them, I believe our host may still have stock, those are comparable size to the Trencors and awesome details, they are the 1255 model so a big load as well. Tesmec did some similar 1:87 models that I am aware of but do not own, I think that Chuck had those at one time as well.

Still Plays with Toys
TimT
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2015 6:27:47 PM

Gd10r wrote:
Brett, the Vermeer Company has models of them, I believe our host may still have stock, those are comparable size to the Trencors and awesome details, they are the 1255 model so a big load as well. Tesmec did some similar 1:87 models that I am aware of but do not own, I think that Chuck had those at one time as well.

I have the 1255, and it IS fantastic model. I think I got it at MineXpo several years ago. The 1255 is much smaller than a Trencor 1860 however, not even half the size. It is built as a terrain leveler. Vermeer does build a 1655 now, and its about the size and power of an 1860HD, It is basicly two 1255's side by side. Only used in Australia as far as I know.
Brett G
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2015 7:02:21 PM

yeh i have the Vermeer' Tim years ago. be nice have something bigger like the 1655 for a drake load

Sent from my HTC M10 - Rooted , using S-OFF , Open Home 6 & Buuf icon packs
http://forum.xda-developers.com/ BUILD YOUR OWN PHONE